The different versions of Cooper discover A/T?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As title says. I've run these on several vehicles now, a handful of Dakota's (both 2 and 4wd) my wife's Durango, a TJ wrangler, and my son has had them on his wife's trail blazer as well as a 90 w250 (Gasser not Cummins) and more

I don't remember if the 1st set I had were AT3s or not, but the last couple of sets were the AT3 4s version. The only thing I can say is they are great bang for the buck or at least have been before Goodyear bought them out. I have never had good luck from any Goodyear I have had. They are aptly names, you can expect 1 good year out of them before they are junk and tires cost too much to replace that often.
The original GY Wranglers were among the worst as well as the AT/S and Wrangler HT and the RT/S.
I hope that Goodyear leaves well enough alone and let's cooper be Cooper as they have been for years and years. As with Kelly, another brand of GY, they have pretty much left Kelly alone as a seperate stand alone division.
Anyway, among the cooper ATs that we have had, I did replace the ones on my wife's Durango early (still lots of tread left) because they got really noisy on us. They were fantastic at first, they wore very even/never got choppy on me, or anything.
The 1st set on my 96 Dakota wore quite choppy, couldn't rotate them often enough to prevent it.
And my daughter in law got 80k of good service out of her 1st set (regular AT3s) but the 2nd set she bought, started chopping like the ones on my 96 Dakota did fairly early. She sold the TB (for other reasons) with about 30k on the newest set. That set that started chopping out on the daughter in laws trailblazer were the "4s" variant but the ones before were not. I don't know about the noisey ones on the Durango which version they were but I replaced them with a set of Pirelli ONLY because they had a set that a customer had ordered and not come back for and had been sitting on for a while so I got a screaming deal on at the farm store she works at. Only set of Pirelli tires I have had to date. Those are wearing even and are quiet, have plenty of traction in the snow (we live in the country) but I don't know if we're gonna get the miles from them that we usually do from the coopers. I sold the noisey cooper's at a garage sale to one of my son's buddies who plows snow.
On my 96 Dakota (which is a 4wd) I replaced that set of chopped up Cooper AT3s with AT3 4s in a bigger size, and so far so good..

Now on my 2012 ram 1500 2wd it came to me with 1 new Kelly edge HT and 3 dry rotted, 8 year old bridge stone dueler ATs. I know by the Carfax that the one single Kelly was installed about 5-6k ago, is barely 2 years old. My wife was complaining that we don't have the cash for new tires on it before I even brought this truck home. The bridge stones still have 7-8/32" on them (have no idea on # of miles on them) but are badly dry rotted and having dealt with suspension, tires and alignment since the late 80s I'm afraid of them because the cracks are so numerous and deep.
It also usually pulls slightly to the right which I attribute to the tire mismatch on the front end.
So I was looking at eBay to for other things and found a place that sells 'take off" tires, and they happened to have a Kelly Edge HT identical to the one on the RF with the same 10/32" of tread as the single Kelly my truck came to me with, for a not too bad price, shipped to my door. I bought it.

I have also been looking for a deal on a pair of new tires for the back (really don't want a highway tread on the back).
Walmart showed the cooper discoverer A/T (no "3' or no "4s" designation) in my size for $164 ea.
I happened to be in my local wal mart today and saw they had 3 of these in stock, even!
I went to the counter and asked for a price and was told $114 ea. I thought they were supposed to sell cheaper online than in store? We left, went to eat and looked at the price of them online via wal mart and yup. $164 ea. So we went back and I asked again. $114. So I bought 2 of them, carried them out/I have access to a tire machine and balancer, I mount my own
(much cheaper that way) $244/pair out the door.

Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the cooper discoverer A/T, A/T3, and the A/T3 "4s"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anybody know the answer? (you can skip to last line of my OP if you want) I know my posts get long, sorry)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had heard that the A/T from WalMart was the identical tire as the A/T3 that was sold elsewhere, just that molds were changed for WalMart.

My wife got a set of Cooper A/T3's for her '02 1500 at an independent shop. They are 'C' rated.

I bought my Cooper A/T's at WalMart. They are 'E' rated. I have 50k miles on them as of now, and there's still a bit of life in them. They ride really well, and are tough, as a truck tire should be, IMO.

Mine were about $675 otd for the set with lifetime balance/roadhazard.

The 4s version, I have not a clue, but I believe they might be a better all-season tire. Not sure.

Both sets I have are LT265/70R17

A/T3's on Wife's 2002 1500
Resized_20191220_121956.jpg
A/T's on my 2015 1500
20220120_053054.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A Old thread but I am looking at the Coopers myself so interested in the replies if any come in

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
buyer beware. Walmart sells tires specific made for them by manufactures. They look like tires sold everywhere (example AT vs AT3). Good luck if you have any issues, I was told by Goodyear to deal with Walmart for any issues.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I put them on a Ford one ton. Great tires and I will buy them again. Cooper A/T 3s.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, the Cooper AT's that I got from WalMart for just shy of $700 for the set of 4, NOW HAVE ALMOST 73,000 miles on them.

That is awesome life for a 55,000 mile tire. Too bad Goodyear bought them out, or else I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

AFAIK, these AT's are no more, and from what I see on the web, the design has been changed for the Coopers they do carry, and of course, so has the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well crap. .I bought the 2 original cooper A/Ts about 15k miles ago and there were 3 on the shelf. About a month ago I had to get 2 more as the fronts that came on my truck when I got it were now shot. So I needed 2 more.
I went back to Walmart for 2 more and they still had the 1 that I didn't buy last year and "couldn't get" any more. But they showed them on the .com site so I tried to get the 1 more that I needed from there. I put 1 in my cart and when I went to pay the screen changed to "out of stock".
I paid $114 ea for the first 2 (the Walmart online thing said $164 then) so I was stoked that in store was actually that much cheaper as usually the online version is cheaper.
Well when I went back for that last one they had I paid $123. Still not bad. But they couldn't tell me if any other Walmarts might have another, "their system isn't set up to ck stock at other stores".
So I started looking around
All I could find were the "A/T-3, 4s" versions and was $212 each no matter where I looked. Crap. Damneer $100 more per tire than I paid!??? W T F??? In less than a year. Can we say ridiculous?

I looked on ebay and found someone with 1 of the "4s" versions for $170-some, with free shipping. Everyone else in ebay was close enough to the same $212 ea as anyplace within 50 miles of here, not enough cheaper to buy online. Not enough cheaper, not to have someone local to deal with in case I did have an issue. With tax (damn Illinois crooks) that 1 tire from ebay was $191 to my door. Still highway robbery but the closest I could find, and the closest I could come to getting one for the same as I paid for the first 3. But $70 more??? That in itself is criminal, in such a short time since I bought the original 2.
I rotated the original 2 that I got last year to the front and put these 2 newest ones, on the back.
Visually the only difference is my R.R. has the A/T in white letters that the other 3 don't. And though it can't be seen because it's black like the rest of tires are but up close you can see the "4s" but not from far enough away to mean anything.

The tread looks identical, the only other difference I see is that the "tread wear" rating of the "4s" version is 620, the other 3 that don't say "A/T3 4s" on them is rated at 560, for some reason?
I don't remember exactly when Goodyear bought (and probably ruined) cooper, but the stickers that new tires came with are definitely different on this one vs the other 3, but I wonder if Goodyear's rating system is slightly different than coopers was when they were their own company/ or if there truly is something different about them since Goodyear took them over? The date code on the last one Walmart had says that one was made in '21 and the one from ebay is date codes 3522. (35th week of '22)
But what u do know is that if I ever have to " match one up" down the road if I happen to wreck one of these I'm gonna have to buy the A/T3, 4s versions anyway.
For the record, I don't care about the slight difference in appearance from the side between the other 3 and the one "oddball" that I had to get to sorta match up with the original 3 that I bought previously, as I see cars come in at work all the time with 3 different tires on them, that don't even come close to being the same, and then the driver wonders why they drive weird.

OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One more thing...... I don't remember if it was the Walmart one I bought or the online one I bout but I took them to work and mounted them myself.
When I went to balance one of them it wanted something stupid like 4 ounces of weight on the outside, and almost no weight on the backside. It "spun" nice on the balancer, no runout to speak of ... So I aired it down and broke the bead again, spun the tire on the rim, aired it up and put it back on the balancer and it now wanted less than 3 ounces total, now split decently between the inside and outside ...... Something mist tire guys won't pay attention to. Bang the weight on and slap em on the vehicle and out the door they go.
I have a story about a problem I had on my Dakota with the last set of tires I " had" put on by someone else but I'll tell it some other time in a different thread. This was a different set of cooper tires, I ended up making the tire shop dismount and get me a different set, I never left the shop with the first set. They hate me there because they know that unlike 99% of their other customers, I've been dealing with tire issues daily, for over 30 years in my job... and I call them out on everything. It's a farm store that my wife works at (but not in the auto dept). Like I said... Later.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not look into some Ironman tires or another like Atturo? Way cheaper and are just as good.

1911LVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L SO
Moral of the story..... stay away from wallymart.