Back to stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kohersh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2.5 years later and I just could NOT take the 1400-1900 RPM drone anymore from the Magnaflow.
When I sold my ecoboost V6 f150 I missed the V8 noise so much-but with the 8 speed trans, the MDS , and resonators this Hemi just drones so much. People couldn't hear me on Bluetooth and my wife and kids just hated riding with me for that resonance inside. the noise and volume out back were great though.

Maybe I would have been better with the mopar cat back like the night editions came with, maybe I could have cut the resonators, chosen a different muffler etc. I DO NOT MISS IT and the truck still sounds pretty decent back to stock.

Does this mean I'm loosing touch with my youthfulness?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does this mean I'm loosing touch with my youthfulness?

Maybe do exhaust cut outs for when you want to be loud and close them for everyday life. Then you can get in touch with your youthfullness on occasion and still enjoy peace and quiet most of the time. Also yes.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The Mopar systems sounds nice but it’s really expensive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No, I'm similar as you. My 2015 had stock, just added Moes 5" tips, sounded great.

Then bought a 392 Charger, and the cold starts were a dream!

So when I got truck, thought I needed exhaust again. If I had to do over, Id leave alone and add tips again.

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am wondering the same thing on my truck. Cold starts are very nice but after that it is missing something. I am wondering if adding tips and volant cold air intake will get me just a bit over the edge for the truck to sound deeper.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size magnaflow do you have ? Cause i love how mine sounds or old age is setting in lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I am wondering the same thing on my truck. Cold starts are very nice but after that it is missing something. I am wondering if adding tips and volant cold air intake will get me just a bit over the edge for the truck to sound deeper.
If you are stock, for me, the Moes 5" tips bolted on, gave it just a slight rumbles, perfect, yet not annoying.

20171202_160623.jpg

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I've been holding off doing exhaust because of this very reason.
Was maybe gonna do the muffler delete for now because it's cheap and easy but whatever. I'm just not willing to drop a few hundred to a grand for something I may hate.
So I haven't done anything. Still stock.

OP
OP
K

kohersh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe do exhaust cut outs for when you want to be loud and close them for everyday life. Then you can get in touch with your youthfullness on occasion and still enjoy peace and quiet most of the time. Also yes.

Ideally if this was cabin controlled it would be awesome. Electonic exhaust is not uncommon nowadays, I think even the new GT500 has it

What size magnaflow do you have ? Cause i love how mine sounds or old age is setting in lol
It was a direct fit for the oem muffler. I loved the sound, just not the absolutely obnoxious drone. It just seemed to ALWAYS be running in that RPM range, and I'd move it down a gear to raise the revs. Drove about 50 miles with it not and I cant believe how peaceful it is in the cabin again. Glad I got to scratch the itch when I bought the truck and equally glad I had the shop toss the stocker in the bed so I could keep it.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No shame in it. I myself am going crazy with the drone I get with my spintech muffler. Got a tuner just to turn of MDS to try and mitigate it but it still shows up every now and then.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ideally if this was cabin controlled it would be awesome. Electonic exhaust is not uncommon nowadays, I think even the new GT500 has it

It was a direct fit for the oem muffler. I loved the sound, just not the absolutely obnoxious drone. It just seemed to ALWAYS be running in that RPM range, and I'd move it down a gear to raise the revs. Drove about 50 miles with it not and I cant believe how peaceful it is in the cabin again. Glad I got to scratch the itch when I bought the truck and equally glad I had the shop toss the stocker in the bed so I could keep it.
I installed the magnaflow 16869 cat back system and i love it. I drove to new Hampshire from new Jersey and it was never annoying and at certain rpm's sure does sound nice and i love the 5 inch tips

20200122_161109.jpg

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I came from a loud truck- LTs, magnaflow cats and cat back I miss it sometimes but I love the sound of my 18 night factory sport exhaust. i don’t have the mopar system (I thought all night editions came with the mopar cat back lol.... but when I bought it I thought it had the mopar cat back and I liked it..... I figured it out later haha oh well

OP
OP
K

kohersh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I thought they all had factory cat back too.

It seems so hit or miss...seems like there are owners of every muffler brand that do and do not experience it. weird huh.
I understand tolerating it, but there is no way to deny that harmonic resonance. again, not volume, the drone.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Man I thought they all had factory cat back too.

It seems so hit or miss...seems like there are owners of every muffler brand that do and do not experience it. weird huh.
I understand tolerating it, but there is no way to deny that harmonic resonance. again, not volume, the drone.
Yep my loud truck had drone that drove me nuts I replaced the muffler twice and each one got louder over time.

yep i was disappointed when I figured out that I didn’t get the mopar cat back lol but the stock dual “cat back” is good enough for me

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently went back to stock too and also thought I must be getting old. I had the Carven Progressive and most of the time loved the sound, but the drone on the interstate was annoying and it seems like I'm driving more interstate now than in the past. Went back to stock about a month ago. I think I'm going put it up for sale and stick with the stock muffler.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but I love the sound of my Flowmaster 50 Series so much I rarely turn on the radio anymore. I also kept the factory tailpipes & resonators.
Noticed all the drone complaints are with manufacturers other than Flowmaster.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I'm similar as you. My 2015 had stock, just added Moes 5" tips, sounded great.

Then bought a 392 Charger, and the cold starts were a dream!

So when I got truck, thought I needed exhaust again. If I had to do over, Id leave alone and add tips again.

Same here, stock exhaust with tips sounds great to me. When I remote start it I can hear it from inside the house.