Backup cam advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few questions regarding adding a backup camera to my ‘07 1500. I have not yet chosen a double DIN radio yet and there are no audio controls on the steering wheel

1. Does a camera with the assist lane option require some sort of sensors already built into the steering wheel? I doubt my 07 was built with this capability

2. Is it advisable to simply hook up the cameras power wire to the reverse lights to ensure the monitor only comes on when shifted into reverse?

3. What is the best way to route the video output from the rear bumper up into the dash?

4. Does anyone recommend a wireless setup to avoid having to run the physical video output?

5. Thanks in advance everyone.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're still looking, here's my input.
1: You're not going to find an aftermarket radio (that I've seen) that has steer angle input / moving backup camera lines.

2: Yes

3: There is a nice harness that runs down the inside of the driver frame rail that you could piggy back your new wire onto, runs straight to the trailer wire plug.

4: No, almost no wireless setups are worth a darn as there is a delay, and that's the last thing you need on something critical like a backup camera.

5: Sorry no one else chimed in, this seems fairly trivial to answer.

OP
OP
G

glickgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you very much - I’m glad someone answered in time for me to do the install.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dunno how I missed this lol, but for what it's worth you can get an integrated camera/tailgate handle that looks OEM from https://tailgatecamera.com/collections/2002-2008-dodge-ram (this is on the back of mine):

IMAG4620.jpg

If you you're really feeling ambitious, there is a remote power tailgate lock from https://paceedwardsdirect.com/p/pace-edwards-powergate-tailgate-lock/pei-lk160/ that bolts right in place inside the gate and ties into the RKE:

IMAG4619.jpg

If you aren't feeling that ambitious, Pace Edwards has an optional small key manual lock handle available.