bad for transmission ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I was pulling out of a p lot today & I had to open door to spit out my compenhagen lol because I just got my 2019 tinted “ can’t roll window down yet” I wasn’t moving when I opened my door .. I shut my door & then preceded to drive & pressed on gas lightly & bang truck stopped in its tracks & the “D” on my shifter starter blinking I had to shift back to park & then back to drive to go .. WTF ! Did that just hurt my tranny ? Why would they add that ...

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
As far as FCA is concerned, they just saved your life. You would have certainly fallen to your death had the truck not slammed to a stop.

OP
OP
Todd Brown

Todd Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Yea I read all that nonsense , question is , did that hurt my tranny

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm guessing the Autopark is not great on the transmission. I'm sure one day someone's transmission will cause problems and there will be a fight (maybe legal one) on whether the autopark caused it. I wouldn't worry about it and Ram on!

OP
OP
Todd Brown

Todd Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thank you Neil , I appreciate the response & yes I just don’t see how this feature is good for the tranny & I agree , I bet this is gonna come Back to haunt RAM & all other manufactures that have this . I will say I hope they thought it through & the technology of This feature has no adverse affects on transmissions , it will come to a head if so , I guarantee this happens every single day all over the country .

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
hopefully somebody will figure out how to disable it. it drives me nuts when hooking/unhooking my trailer. if you have to get in and out a few times to get those last cpl. adjustments before hookup, you have to shut the door and go thru this multi-step procedure each time.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing happens on 4th gen trucks and we dont have electronic e-brake.

It would be nice if thats how they are doing it, at least on the 5th gens. Save the trans, just use the parking brake automatically.

But on our 4th gens its literally putting the trans into park. Supposedly this "feature" is disabled above a certain speed to prevent damage, but even at the 1.5 mph and below that its supposed to work at feels awfully bad for the trans IMHO.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 16 doesn't have it and I won't do the recall to add it. If it can't be disabled on newer trucks, I'll never buy another one. Completely not compatible with my off-road use. Probably have to get an old REAL truck when this one's done.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is interesting is that I never had the U05 recall done on my 2017. I could swear since I had the truck from new, it would allow me to back up with the door open, seatbelt off and truck in Reverse.

Then I had the U61 (cruise control) recall done. And ever since then I now have "AutoPark" functionality. No one did the U05 update, Im sure of it because I was told it would take at least an hour for my truck configuration and I was only at the dealer for 15 minutes to get the cruise control fixed.

So Im thinking something in the cruise control can "flip the bit" to enable AutoPark on some trucks. At some point during MY17 production, they added AutoPark code into the computers but did not enable it from the factory. Before that time, there was NO code in the computers for AutoPark.

Some trucks need the bit flipped to enable it and some trucks need all of the code added and enabled. I think my truck was one that just needed the bit flipped and a newer updated (cruise control) did it. Now if I go in for U05 they will probably run it and see nothing is necessary.

Im not happy about it, but I would have gotten the cruise control update no matter what, so it is what it is. Still holding out hope that the AlfaOBD dev can find a way to disable it (if indeed there is a bit to flip, hopefully he can provide access for us to flip it ourselves)

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hopefully somebody will figure out how to disable it. it drives me nuts when hooking/unhooking my trailer. if you have to get in and out a few times to get those last cpl. adjustments before hookup, you have to shut the door and go thru this multi-step procedure each time.

I believe you can turn off the rear sensors for trailer hookup...

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

It would be nice if thats how they are doing it, at least on the 5th gens. Save the trans, just use the parking brake automatically.

But on our 4th gens its literally putting the trans into park. Supposedly this "feature" is disabled above a certain speed to prevent damage, but even at the 1.5 mph and below that its supposed to work at feels awfully bad for the trans IMHO.

Not all 4th Gens. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16 doesn't have it and I won't do the recall to add it. If it can't be disabled on newer trucks, I'll never buy another one. Completely not compatible with my off-road use. Probably have to get an old REAL truck when this one's done.

You don’t have it so you don’t ever have to deal with it(unless you take it in for that recall which I know, you already stated you never were) but if you did have it, it’s been talked about more times many that just by simply putting your seatbelt on, putting it on behind you, using one of them seatbelt extenders or the little neat, nifty metal things that double as a bottle opener that goes in your buckle, you can open the door all you want. The dash display will say, “Not in Park” but it won’t slam itself in Park. Plus, I don’t know how much of your off-roading requires the use of 4-LO but in my 18, when I put it on low-range, it disables the auto-Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I would sure hope that there’s extra design features in there in place that protects our transmission on our fourth gens that if you do try to take off with the door open and it slams itself into park, that it’s not hurting the transmission whenever it does that. But either way, now that I know that it does that, if I ever have to back up with the door open, I just make sure that I put my seatbelt on so it doesn’t happen.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I had this happen to me twice in one day in two different trucks. Father in-law bought an '18 and I took it to the parts store as we were working on putting the lift on my truck and when I was leaving, I must not have shut the door all the way. I go to pull out of the lot and it doesn't go. I had to figure out what to do thinking I broke the in-laws new truck. Figured it out and made it back to the house. Later on when I was backing my own up after we finished installing the lift I go to back up and as I give it gas I hear a thunk sound and it doesn't move. Thought we really messed something up underneath. Same thing. Shut the door, put it in park then back up. Scared the crap out of me.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Manufactures are just trying to cover their ass from being sued by people who forgot to put their car in park and then get run over. Pretty much people have to be protected from themselves and will blame everyone else when they make a mistake. This is the world we live in.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have actually seen for sale somewhere online a seat belt end device that you can buy and just plug into the receptacle. I will probably try to track one of those down to keep handy.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have actually seen for sale somewhere online a seat belt end device that you can buy and just plug into the receptacle. I will probably try to track one of those down to keep handy.

Yeah you can get something like either of these two but I’d recommend the top one so that you can still buckle your seatbelt to it.

Or you could just buckle your seatbelt behind you, unless you just wanna turn the seatbelt light off(or chime if you don’t have it disabled).
5820bbcb8ebbaa3594ca5b15e16a4865.jpg0c22dcd91e6b10d98a75c588a190b910.jpg