Bad inner Tie Rod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the Inner Tie Rod suppose to have some play or be tight? I did replace the front shocks a little while back and haven’t gotten out to get the alignment done. This is the first time I’ve noticed the tie rod being able to move like this since the new shocks where installed. I don’t think it suppose to move like this. Thanks for any input. Wallet may have to get a little lighter!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will rotate which is what it appears you were doing?
To check inner tie rod play, you use the same exact procedure as checking the outer tie rod - grab the jacked up wheel at 3 & 9 oclock and wiggle back and forth - there shouldn't be any play side to side.
If there is you have to see if it is wheel bearing, out tierod, inner tie rod, loose rack, etc.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I’m rotating it front to rear. The tie rod on that side has a small pin hole on it which I’m replacing. I just never thought these tie rods move front to back. There is absolutely no play in and out. I’ll double check today as we have high of +29C today. Thanks for he info.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They have to move some directions - they move whenever you turn the wheel. Pretty much a ball/socket type of arrangement for the most part.