Bad Oil or what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I bought a 2003 Dodge Ram with a blown 5.7 hemi well I finally got the engine out and see where the Rod blew threw the block and tore the oil pan up , Upon inspection of taking the pan off the pan looked like someone melted plastic in it and upon taking the valve covers off they were in the same shape so I contacted the guy I bought it from to ask what kind of oil it was an sad to say it was Penzoil . He stated he wasn't good at doing the oil changes regularly and didn't think it mattered I could not believe how thick it was and even blocked the oil pickup tube , Has anyone else had such an experience like this with Penzoil ?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean, it came with oil in it from the factory didn't it ?????

Some people think, oil changes are for chumps.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's unbelievable how some people just totally neglect the basic stuff and expect them to run forever. I was never aware of such neglect untill I started working at a parts store. People come in and buy 5 Qts of oil and dump it all in right there in the parking lot, had one lady tell me every time the oil light comes on she just dumps 5 Qts in it and runs it till the oil light comes on again, then another 5 Qts. A guy came in the other day and bought some Lucas oil stabilizer, said his engine was ticking, come to find out he didn't have any oil in it. It's amazing that some of these engines last as long as they do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He stated he wasn't good at doing the oil changes regularly and didn't think it mattered

He said this to you and you are actually questioning Pennzoil? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!
He gave you the answer.
1. Don't do oil changes when you're supposed to, wear metals and combustion by-products build up and destroy the oil; gets progressively thicker until it's basically molasses (or worse)
2. On top of a case of massive neglect and disregard, he most likely used the cheapest conventional oil he could find (when he actually bothered, did he even bother changing the filter?) combined with short trips/not getting the engine up to temp sufficiently long enough to burn off condensation in the crankcase. Those two combined were a ticking time bomb for sludge build up in that engine until it failed. Synthetic may have kept catastrophic failure at bay a little longer but it still would've failed.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take a look at the paint on the inside of the oil pan itself. Over time the paint would bubble up and peel off from the pan and clog the intake tube. It seemed to be a pretty common problem with the earlier 3rd gens, at least i had heard of it often. Chances are it was from lack of maintainence, and allowing the oil to run for too long, losing its properties from the add packs and becoming acidic/basic whatever. Once it plugged the pick up tube, it would be running with nearly no oil pressure and would definitely blow an engine.

Or the guy was simply that horrible with keeping up his routine maintainence.

Either way, pretty much every single oil on the market today is more than enough for a 3-5k interval in an engine with no other issues, and none of them will plug up like that without serious abuse and neglect.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought a truck with an allegedly blown head gasket. The timing chain was broken and when I pulled the valve covers, you could barely make out the valve gear with all the sludge. It’s a definite lack of changing the oil and filter. I pulled the valve cover off the engine in my truck I wrecked and it was clean as a whistle inside with 134,000 miles on it. I only use pennzoil ultra.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2003 Dodge Ram with a blown 5.7 hemi well I finally got the engine out and see where the Rod blew threw the block and tore the oil pan up , Upon inspection of taking the pan off the pan looked like someone melted plastic in it and upon taking the valve covers off they were in the same shape so I contacted the guy I bought it from to ask what kind of oil it was an sad to say it was Penzoil . He stated he wasn't good at doing the oil changes regularly and didn't think it mattered I could not believe how thick it was and even blocked the oil pickup tube , Has anyone else had such an experience like this with Penzoil ?

Jesus christ

OP
OP
michaelm_ski

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I pulled the pan and filter the filter had oil in it as well as the pan BUT the pickup tube was sealed with the hard plastic like oil , I have bought cars that were neglected before but never anything like this . I appreciate all the helpful comments it isn't that I dislike Penzoil I use Moble 1 full synthetic in my trucks and change them between 5000 to 5500 miles depending on the weather and road conditions in my area as I live in the country so if it is really dry and dusty I change at 5000 miles if it is decent than I give it an extra 500 miles .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990