Bakflip MX4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I absolutely love mine. The customer service is on point too. Pretty sure that I broke one of my corners off closing it on a camping trip. They’re a little slow responding due to COVID, but my new corner piece is being shipped to me under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have that one on my laramie..works fine and have not had any leaks. one of the tie down straps came with a broken fastener and they sent me complete new ones for both sides in just a few days..my son has same on his '17..we like

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine leaks, freezes shut, seals cut short, etc. Not snow and ice friendly, but I love it April to October.

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes
Had mine since inception in Sept 19, love it. Leaks only during torrential downpours. Ensure you have it in snug and it should be solid, with little impact leak wise.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine leaks ,I’ve had 2 replacements sent to me , and they both also leaked . They look great ,and function well,except for the water intrusion.

elLOCOrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just about ready to click buy on my end....just looking to confirm if there is any additional hardware needed to install? I don't have a bed liner or any other rails or hooks. Does everything I need for install come standard or should I get anything else?

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just about ready to click buy on my end....just looking to confirm if there is any additional hardware needed to install? I don't have a bed liner or any other rails or hooks. Does everything I need for install come standard or should I get anything else?

Nope, mine came with all required hardware to include shims for the rails if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

If you can find it buy some of the 2" weather seal to but behind the cab .... they only give you one that is an inch or less and it doesn't work that good ... but other than that you need nothing else ...

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bought ours 2 years ago and I've got to admit, it's not worth the money.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What don’t you like about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I had to double check.... mine is the G2 and NOT the MX4!!!

The G2 has a good fit and is fairly quick to install, I did it by myself in about an hour and a half or so.
Also, if your tailgate locks, the bed is pretty much a semi secure area.

And while I understand that it is exposed to the elements 24/7, there are a few things that bother me.

The rails look flimsy and the overlap is not great where it sits on the sidewall.
Meaning I don't trust putting any weight on it, despite it being "approved" for up to 300 lbs.
I also don't trust the c-clamps, they move around and don't seem to be super secure.

The rubber moldings are weak and it's leaking into the bed area. I understand it's not meant to be 100% waterproof but it's leaking a lot and I don't want to put any luggage or expensive/sensitive equipment in there. So it's basically pointless to have.

Last but not least, the cover is separating after a hail storm. The top metal layer is bending like there's a big bubble underneath.

Cost me ~$850 then at Summit Racing and I wouldn't buy it again.

But I've just seen that it has a 3yr warranty, so perhaps I'll contact BAK and see what they say.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's 2020 Laramie has a Truxedo Deuce on it. It rolls up like a soft cover but has a forward frame that unlatches and lifts up to access the front 1/3 of the bed without rolling it up...best of both worlds.
Plus it definitely keep the elements out. Have taken this truck back and forth between central Missouri, and Kentucky more than half a dozen times of over the last 6 months and zero issues. No water in the bed, no noise or flapping and stays where you put it.

My 17 Laramie has a Truxedo Lo-Pro. same thing...best covers I ever bought.

Last edited:

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an MX4 on my current truck and had a Rollbak on my last truck. The MX4 is definitely better. It is nearly water tight. Easy to open and close and secure as stuff inside the cab of the truck. Yes you can break in but you can easily brake a window and if someone wants in bad enough, they can find a way.
Really is a piece of cake to install. Can do it in an hour once you have done one.

Last edited: