ball joints difficult to remove, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teddybeartruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Juro, I assume that by now you got them out somehow. Can you let us know how it went with you?

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had better luck with a tool like this one the first time I had to get them off my 2010.

OEMTOOLS 27308 Ball Joint Separator, Adjusts from 1-1/8 Inches to 2-1/8 Inches, Fits Common Ball Joint Sizes, Steel Separator Mechanism with Black Oxide Pins

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious to this myself. I am looking to doing both upper and lower on my 99 ram 2 wheel drive. It would save me $500.00 so all I would have to do is a alignment. I have watched several videos and other then being a pain, it can be done. Would like to hear how yours come out.

OP
OP
J

JURO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Sport.
Engine
1500 5.0 liter.
Hi Juro, I assume that by now you got them out somehow. Can you let us know how it went with you?

hi
this week I did it. My boss cut my hours to three days a week, so i have some free time.
It was so depressing, i didn't even want to look at my truck for the past year.
turns out the service manual seems misleading to me, guess I was trying to press them out the wrong direction.
See fig.24, how do u remove the knuckle with both of the Ball Joints still in place? I had to use an angle grinder to cut them out.
Then i used the tool that I linked above, it is all i needed. Actually thought about using my gas welding on it to loosen it up but i am glad i didn't need that.
anyway, so happy now :D:D:D

Last edited:

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
now i want to do the passenger side:D:D
Definitely do the passenger side if you can. Brake, steering, and suspension jobs should always be done in pairs across the axle so you know everything is wearing at the same rate.