Basic audio questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read through the Audio upgrade sticky but still have some questions. I bought a Kicker Hideaway and am looking to install it myself. Reading the manual it says to buy a Kicker ZISL. Will this work with a normal LOC?

Where do I tie the ZISL or LOC into on a crew cab? Also where is the best place to tie into the remote turn-on wire? It has a fuse that is just a loop, do I want to cut that in half to tie it to the battery?

Any help installing this thing would be great!

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as turn on:
"
DC Offset Turn-On: If Remote Turn-On is not an option, the next best setting is DC Offset. The DC Offset
mode detects a DC offset from the HI-Level speaker outputs when the source unit has been turned on."

http://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/powered_subwoofers/hideaway/2011_Hideaway_RevM.pdf

And the ZISL thingy is to add RCA's in, since it only has speaker level input. So if you're wiring it into your OEM you can't even use it. (Assuming you're tapping the OEM speaker wires).

So you should be good to go. No LOC, No ZISL, no remote turn on needed! :)

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure how an 8" sub will work competing with four OEM 6x9's though, but I've never seen this Kicker before so it might be great, but seems on the small side.

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK Cool. So what wires do I want to tap the quick connect harness into?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can tap into your rear speakers. That is how I wired my Kicker Hideaways (I had two, one under each seat).

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can tap into your rear speakers. That is how I wired my Kicker Hideaways (I had two, one under each seat).

How do I wire the power so it only comes on when the truck is on? Sorry, these are very noob questions I know.

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do I wire the power so it only comes on when the truck is on? Sorry, these are very noob questions I know.

I answered that. :) It will automatically turn on when it sees power of the speaker wires......
:
"
DC Offset Turn-On: If Remote Turn-On is not an option, the next best setting is DC Offset. The DC Offset
mode detects a DC offset from the HI-Level speaker outputs when the source unit has been turned on."

http://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/powered_subwoofers/hideaway/2011_Hideaway_RevM.pdf

So you should be good to go. No LOC, No ZISL, no remote turn on needed! :)

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just like AmoAgave said, it won't even come on in when the truck is on, it will come on when it senses a signal from the head unit.

How did 2 sound?

They sounded good. They are not gonna rattle the truck with bass, but they add a nice clean bass that is missing in the stock system.

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like AmoAgave said, it won't even come on in when the truck is one on, it will come on when it sense a signal coming from the head unit.

They sounded good. They are not gonna rattle the truck with bass, but they add a nice clean bass that is missing in the stock system.

I was thinking about getting 1 just didn't know if there was a big difference from the second one

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome, thank you guys so much. So last question, do I tap into both left and right rear speakers?

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about getting 1 just didn't know if there was a big difference from the second one

Basically double the bass. Though if you buy two at retail ($299 each) you are spending in a range where you can get much better bass for the money... The only benefit with these is that they are so small, fit anywhere and have good output for the size.

Awesome, thank you guys so much. So last question, do I tap into both left and right rear speakers?

One or the either, whichever is closest and most convenient.

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beating a dead horse but just to clarify. I will only have 4 wires hooked up(minus the remote bass):
Power going to battery with fuse <18" from battery terminal
Ground going to a clean bolt on the cab body
Grey wire going to rear speaker +
Grey/Black wire going to rear speaker -

I guess I am questioning so much because this seems too easy. Also, are T-Tap's bad to use in car audio?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, its that easy, T taps are fine for source.

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it matter if I tap into the front vs rear speakers? Reading around, it seems like more people tap into the front than the rear.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
for full range, tap in front door.

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to bring this back to the top. I am about to tap into the front speakers but want to make sure this right. This is a connector at the front passenger side panel.

Can I tap right above that adapter into the yellow/green and pink/purple wires? Or is there a better place?

image1_zpsweaf2a0e.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hooked everything up and the Hideaway won't even power up. I am at a loss. I checked the voltage at the harness and it is getting power so I am guessing it is the remote turn on. I also checked fuses and they were fine.

Any ideas? Here is a picture of where I tapped into the RF +/- under the passenger side kick panel.

IMG_0155_zpsmb1agmjh.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paradeedle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it figured out. Apparently the white wire is the only one that the remote turn on works for. Swapped out the grey wires for the white wires and it came on. Just need to tune it now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca