Battery Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know what the general range of life expectancy is for an OEM battery? I'm probably way past due. Manufactured in November of 14 and I'm still on the original. Kindaaa has a little delay in turning the engine over in cold temps but figured it isn't all that uncommon. Has 33k miles and I am bringing it in for a routine service before the end of the month. Should I have them put a new one in now before it craps out on me sooner rather than later?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I would absolutely purchase and install an AGM battery. My 2014 died at 37 months one chili morning (no warning). I always change my batteries out at 4 years regardless like routine maintenance. It’s better to take the time and research now (store coupons, sales, etc) than to select what’s on the shelf full price because you are stuck.

My brother-in-law purchased a Duracell AGM platinum for his ‘15 from www.batteriesplus.com for $180 with tax included (originally ordered the X2 AGM brand but was long wait arrival). Much more power vs. factory, higher cold cracking amps and 48 month warranty (20% off coupon on website). Advanced Auto Parts always have coupons.

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'd do a couple of things first. Check the battery connections for tightness and corrosion as well as the chassis end of the ground cable. If they're OK then have the battery load tested at a store you would buy a new one from. If it fails the load test, replace it.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked out that website and we have a store right down the road from me too. https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/ram/1500/2015/v8-5.7l-730cca#finder-box-top

They have a 20% off coupon until late Feb. I may see if the dealer can test the battery while I'm there.

Also, the higher the cold cranking amps..the better? And if I did the install myself, does it simply reset my system or would I be throwing codes for some reason afterward (would it be easier to have someone do the install)?

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Battery jump starters are cheap and compact, it’s more cost effective to store one in the vehicle and wait for it to fail . Alternative is purchasing a new battery years before the one prior actually needs replacement IMO.

We’ve all had an instance where someone else needed a jump, and when you can’t maneuver through a snowstorm with your jumper cables you walk away a hero with that $60-100 portable life saver.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
An AGM battery is preferred for these power hungry trucks (a lot of electronics). Yes the higher cold cranking amps, the better. No it will not throw any codes. When I changed my factory to AGM it did not even reset the radio stations either. They also have free install if you buy it online and choose store pick-up (swap it out is easy, just need a 10mm socket and ratchet). You would want to return the old battery to get the $18 core charge.

Duracell after coupon discount for about $180 - $10 mail-in-rebate @ $170 or the X2 Power for $240 - $30 mir @ $210.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Both my Mopar OE batteries ate it around the 2 year mark. The Challenger was expected since it's hardly ever driven and the Ram I pretty much expected with the extra accessories. I swapped both to AGM's, keep the Challenger on a maintenance charger, and the Ram got an onboard maintainer. I keep telling myself I'm gonna put the 220 Amp police alternator on the truck, but then keep forgetting to do it lol.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2014, and it cranked and started. But it cranked pretty slow. Didnt realize how slow till I went and started looking at new trucks on the local lots. I just had the batteries replaced last month at the dealer. They had coupons and I got like $60 off.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the only time it's noticeably slower to crank is on a cold start, that's it. So I assume it's kinda normal but I will just have them test it in a week or two just due to the age.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Battery jump starters are cheap and compact, it’s more cost effective to store one in the vehicle and wait for it to fail . Alternative is purchasing a new battery years before the one prior actually needs replacement IMO.

We’ve all had an instance where someone else needed a jump, and when you can’t maneuver through a snowstorm with your jumper cables you walk away a hero with that $60-100 portable life saver.

Yup, I saw those micro start's from antigravity. I've been wanting to get one of those for a while now too just in case the jumper cables are an issue like you mentioned.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My oem battery in my 11 lasted six years and was fine when I traded it in. There is no delay on my battery here in jersey on the few cold days we have had. My thoughts are it's time to replace yours. You will save some dollars and get a better battery if you use a parts store rather than the dealer.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Anyone know what the general range of life expectancy is for an OEM battery? I'm probably way past due. Manufactured in November of 14 and I'm still on the original. Kindaaa has a little delay in turning the engine over in cold temps but figured it isn't all that uncommon. Has 33k miles and I am bringing it in for a routine service before the end of the month. Should I have them put a new one in now before it craps out on me sooner rather than later?
Been messing with cars, trucks and bikes for 45 yrs. and a good rule of thumb is +/- 4.5 yrs. Some last 8, some last 2. When it goes, spend the extra $$ and put an AGM Battery in.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been messing with cars, trucks and bikes for 45 yrs. and a good rule of thumb is +/- 4.5 yrs. Some last 8, some last 2. When it goes, spend the extra $$ and put an AGM Battery in.

Yeah sounds like there is a wide range of lifespan for batteries. Just out of curiosity, what separates an AGM battery from the rest? Cold crank amps, higher power supply? I think I may get one of those micro starts from antigravity and just wait for my current one to die, then jump it as needed and pick up a battery from a parts store. Saves on labor from a dealer too. Then I'll have the micro start in case I run into emergencies with others.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
It is a rule - on whatever the rules are written on - that your battery will only die when you need your vehicle the most and have to be somewhere.

Uh, not a Rule but an actual LAW

the Law of this **** Sucks

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 11 still has the original OEM battery, if it goes out tomorrow, it's been a good one, but I hope it keeps on working for another few years

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
4 to 5 years is pretty good for a conventional OEM battery, they seem to be of less quality in the last few years and the prices are skyrocketing due to the loss of lead production/refinement in the US.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I checked out that website and we have a store right down the road from me too. https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/ram/1500/2015/v8-5.7l-730cca#finder-box-top

They have a 20% off coupon until late Feb. I may see if the dealer can test the battery while I'm there.

Also, the higher the cold cranking amps..the better? And if I did the install myself, does it simply reset my system or would I be throwing codes for some reason afterward (would it be easier to have someone do the install)?

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what the actual warranty policy is for the Duracell Ultra Platinum? It states 48 months but no mention of a pro-rated term, etc.

Walmart's AGM battery is $40 cheaper but only has 3 year replacement, then remaining 2 pro-rated. Many more stores around the country though.