Battery question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since the past few days it's been around 8-12*f at night leaving work. Go to start my truck. And if it wings over any slower it's just not going to start... This stock battery is crap... Who has had good luck with what. I have the snow plow package if that matters. But I would like to get a more cold cranking amp battery (like around 1000) being where I go sledding is not uncommon to see -20*f or colder and I like to have some confidence in my truck starting! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Get an Optima. I've run a RED top and a BLUE top, the yellow top seems to do better when you run lots of lights, winch, big audio system and in your case a plow system. They're a lil pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Get an Optima. I've run a RED top and a BLUE top, the BLUE top seems to do better when you run lots of lights, winch, big audio system and in your case a plow system. They're a lil pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I don't have a plow yet, but maybe down the road. But my truck has the snow plow package (bigger alt, etc)

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run yellow tops in my jeeps. When it comes time for a new battery I'll do the same.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What size are you guys running/ what "size group" is it. Being walking into any parts store half the idiots can't even grab the right spark plug

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
They'll only have one size for each color (for automotive applications). Red and blue are high end starting batteries, yellow will run anything you put up to it.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
They'll only have one size for each color (for automotive applications). Red and blue are high end starting batteries, yellow will run anything you put up to it.

Oh. Ok. I see. Being it's a one size fits all. Does it drop right in. Or does stuff need to be trimmed to fit?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Oh. Ok. I see. Being it's a one size fits all. Does it drop right in. Or does stuff need to be trimmed to fit?

It will be slightly smaller than the OEM battery. You will probably have to shim the mount somehow, but maybe not.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok. Thanks!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get it from summit, it will come with all the required hard ware if it needs it. On a side note make sure u get the one with the top terminal post mounts. If you have a chance to look at one, Do so I suggest if it is set up right" again you will need to look at it" you can get them with side terminals and top terminals" as long as the terminals are facing away from the fender I would get the battery with both connections. The reason is it makes it easier to hook up extra stuff, suck as lights, or even a " quick disconnect " for a battery tender that you can leave on the truck 24/7. Just my 2 cents. I had one in my Chevy and kicked my self in the ass for not getting the one with both sets of terminals" as mine was a side mount terminal stock.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok. I'm hoping to get one soon... Pretty sad the stock battery is only 10 months old (I got the truck in March and it had only been on the a few months) and it's already giving up on me. It's starting the truck but I'm afraid if drops a few more degrees it's just going to quit it's turning over so slow

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I'm hoping to get one soon... Pretty sad the stock battery is only 10 months old (I got the truck in March and it had only been on the a few months) and it's already giving up on me. It's starting the truck but I'm afraid if drops a few more degrees it's just going to quit it's turning over so slow

Are you running any extra accessories or anything off the battery? Usually if the battery starts to go, especially that soon, there's a reason for it. My factory battery lasted for 3 years in Alberta winters with no issues (many times would go 10+ days between starts), until I left the truck for two weeks during Xmas and it decided to freeze.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Are you running any extra accessories or anything off the battery? Usually if the battery starts to go, especially that soon, there's a reason for it. My factory battery lasted for 3 years in Alberta winters with no issues (many times would go 10+ days between starts), until I left the truck for two weeks during Xmas and it decided to freeze.

Stock as it can get. I'm thinking the battery froze while it was on the lot last winter. It got down to -10 to almost -20 for about a week here. And the truck was buried in the back lot and wasn't moved since it was parked there in the end of October 14 and I bought the truck March of 15 with 3 miles on it

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock as it can get. I'm thinking the battery froze while it was on the lot last winter. It got down to -10 to almost -20 for about a week here. And the truck was buried in the back lot and wasn't moved since it was parked there in the end of October 14 and I bought the truck March of 15 with 3 miles on it

Could be. With the truck being that new, maybe the dealer would replace it if it is on the verge of failing (even though I know you want something with a little more juice anyway). I forget what the warranty is on batteries, but there was a similar thread on here a little while ago about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That would be nice. At 20 it's starts decent. But at 10 it's a slow crank if it's been sitting for more then a few hours/motor is ice cold again

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be nice. At 20 it's starts decent. But at 10 it's a slow crank if it's been sitting for more then a few hours/motor is ice cold again

Do you plug your truck in at all when the temps dip?
(only assuming it's equipped with block heater)

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I wish I could. I don't have one. I asked at the dealer parts department and apparently it's not an accessory to buy either

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I could. I don't have one. I asked at the dealer parts department and apparently it's not an accessory to buy either

With it potentially getting down to - 20 in your neck of the woods I would definitely want one. Wouldn't help against your battery freezing or anything like that obviously, but would certainly relieve a lot of strain on it. Personally I take what the dealer says with a grain of salt. I know you could add the block heater on the older 4th Gens, not sure if something has changed on the newer ones...