Battery Replacement and UConnect Soft Reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jughead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The battery on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited crapped out on me yesterday after owning it since brand new (approx 3 yrs 9 months). I found a decent replacement at Costco for $185, so I pulled the battery out of the truck and drove down to Costco in my other vehicle to swap them out. Got home and installed the battery (very easy). Truck started right up, and immediately noticed the "check engine" light illuminated. I also noticed that none of my cameras were working in reverse or drive. All I had was a blue screen with "cameras not available" across the top.

I tried a bunch of different things...all to no avail. Finally, I came across a post in the Ram TRX forum about a soft reset to the UConnect system that I hadn't seen before. It went like this:

1. With the doors closed, start the vehicle.
2. Push and hold the "phone" and "voice recognition" buttons at the same time on the steering wheel for 30 seconds.
3. Release the buttons and shut off the vehicle.
4. Open the driver's door and leave open until the lights go out.

End of procedure. I started up my truck again, and the check engine light was gone, as was the blue screen with "cameras not available." Everything functioned normally. I was ready to go to the dealer, if this didn't work, and was quite shocked and pleased when it did. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW GREAT info Thanks!
That info is good to know
I will be changing my battery soon in my 2015 with OEM Battery !

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I went out to mine today and it has been sitting for a couple weeks with the dashcam going. Down to 4.5v. It might be time for new ones too and I'm not looking forward to spending that $400 bill.
Hopefully no problems or resets will be necessary but I'll give this one a try if I need to. Thanks.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Earlier this year I replaced my 2016 Eco battery and had no problems. It restarted normally. I knew about the restore process but didn't have to use it. I wonder why some have the problem and some don't. I already had the battery so the downtime was short.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you charge that battery prior to install, it may have a weak charge from sitting, charge for 24 hrs, get a battery tender if you don't use the truck often.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 Eco-Diesel battery was a quick switch over, less than 10 minutes, i think

JohnPaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jughead,

The exact same thing happened to me this week. (2020 Warlock) Check engine light and blue screen. It reset itself after about 2 hours.

One other thing that happened was between battery changes the truck made the binging noises when there was no battery in the truck or even the key in the ignition. I was worried that the electronics might be gooched and then really concerned when after the new battery was in I saw the blue dash and check engine light.

My service rep said that he has seen and heard all kinds of noises out of the RAM trucks.

Last edited:

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jughead,

The exact same thing happened to me this week. (2020 Warlock) Check engine light and blue screen. It reset itself after about 2 hours.

One other thing that happened was between battery changes the truck made the binging noises when there was no battery in the truck or even the key in the ignition. I was worried that the electronics might be gooched and then really concerned when after the new battery was in I saw the blue dash and check engine light.

My servuce rep said that he has seen and heard all kinds of noises out of the RAM trucks.
I will keep this in mind when I replace my battery. Im also wondering if it will go back to normal after a few drive cycles. When I had my challengers after replacing the battery the u cinneft would show wierd things like it was a ram and no or a/c controls except for the manul buttons after 3 drive cycles it went back to normal

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you pull the battery for more than a short period, it may take several cycles for all the modules to boot back up and talk to each other. Also helps to charge the new battery to full and reset the IBS.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always use a batter memory saver to prevent this type of problem from happening. There are many types out there, but I use mine with a "jump pack" Just FYI for the future.

1691493148296.jpeg

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had to replace the battery on my wife's 2019 Rebel yesterday.Napa Premium for about $190.
Checked the old battery with a multimeter and it was at 11.3 volts.
New one was 12.5 off the shelf.
Samething check engine light appeared after replacing the battery.Finally went off by it's self.

She told me that the CD player light was staying on after shutdown.Dont think this would cause the battery to drain.
Had to eject the disc to turn off the light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock