Battery replacement fitment and recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The batteries in my 2016 2500 6.7 need replacement. I don't drive the truck regularly, and use it mostly for towing and long trips, so it may sit for weeks at a time without moving. I wanted to replace them with Optima yellow top deep cycle type batteries, but they do not list a compatible battery. When I reached out to them, they confirmed that they did not have a recommended fitment, but did say that they may make one that would work, and to measure size and confirm CCA.

It appears that the H6 yellow top would work, as it's nearly the same size, just a little shorter in length. The H7 is 12.4"L x 6.9"W x 7.5"H. It has 800CCA and the positive post is on the correct side. This is the model I'm looking at.

upload_2020-1-10_10-14-10.png

Has anyone installed these in place of the H7/94R successfully? Would you buy them again?

Are there any other recommendations for replacement batteries that may survive longer parking periods? I know the Odyssey batteries also come very highly rated.

Everyone has their favorites, I suppose. If I'm going to put $400-600 into batteries, I'd like to make the best, most educated decision possible. Thank you all in advance for your experience and opinion.

Larry

OP
OP
L

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone have any experience with this battery or brand? The 60 month replacement warranty is attractive. Most batteries only have 36 months anymore. It's spendy, but so is the Optima.

upload_2020-1-10_10-53-17.png

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just had mine replaced at the dealer. Size was a type 94. Dealer had online coupons, that gave me like $60 off of the FCA battery

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a Oriely”s super start AGM in my 1500, had one in my Father in Laws Rv for over a year so I figured why not, so far so good.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Looks like the Optima Yellow has specs slightly less than the Odyssey. You probably don't even need to Yellow top, I had a Red top in my van for 9 years(vehicle was sold) and it was usually driven just on weekends. I know the battery was drained to nothing at least 3 times and still always started the van in the dead of winter.
Irregardless of what brand, go with an AGM type battery, they deal with sitting long periods without being used better than a conventional lead/acid.

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/94r-850

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There has been a lot of battery discussion lately in the Cummins diesel forums, the grid heater pulls heavy amps. AGMs can handle the long idle times but the trucks do constantly pull from the batteries. Did you ever consider using a battery maintainer while the truck sits idle? I typically don't run my 3500 in the winter but I do keep a maintainer on the batteries, I believe it makes a difference in battery life. As far as brands, Deca and the many brands that are Deca seem to be a favorite as are Interstates (Costco) and Duracells (Sams Club).

When it comes time for battery replacements, I'll likely go with Interstates because of the luck I've had with them in RV and boating plus I'm a Costco member. But, a good sale on Decas could sway me.

OP
OP
L

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you all for your input. Yes, I plan to keep a solar tender plugged into the OBD when stored for long periods.

I decided to go with the Northstar X2 AGM dual purpose (starting and deep cycle) because they are a true 94R fitment, exceed the CCA rating of the factory batteries, and there is currently a 20% off coupon through Batteries Plus, and $30 mail in rebates (for up to two). That brings the price of the batteries down by $180 for the pair (basically they're $209 plus tax instead of $299). They also have a 60 month replacement warranty, and I read many good things about Northstar.

Had to order them, so that'll take a week, but don't need the truck this week anyway.

Thank you all again!

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like the Optima Yellow has specs slightly less than the Odyssey. You probably don't even need to Yellow top, I had a Red top in my van for 9 years(vehicle was sold) and it was usually driven just on weekends. I know the battery was drained to nothing at least 3 times and still always started the van in the dead of winter.
Irregardless of what brand, go with an AGM type battery, they deal with sitting long periods without being used better than a conventional lead/acid.

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/94r-850
Went the Odyssey 94R-850 route.Happy so far.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
There has been a lot of battery discussion lately in the Cummins diesel forums, the grid heater pulls heavy amps. AGMs can handle the long idle times but the trucks do constantly pull from the batteries. Did you ever consider using a battery maintainer while the truck sits idle? I typically don't run my 3500 in the winter but I do keep a maintainer on the batteries, I believe it makes a difference in battery life. As far as brands, Deca and the many brands that are Deca seem to be a favorite as are Interstates (Costco) and Duracells (Sams Club).

When it comes time for battery replacements, I'll likely go with Interstates because of the luck I've had with them in RV and boating plus I'm a Costco member. But, a good sale on Decas could sway me.
My last 2 interstate batteries have been JUNK,lasted a whopping 2 years max.I would go Deka,Napa gold or Odyssey route.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Anyone have any experience with this battery or brand? The 60 month replacement warranty is attractive. Most batteries only have 36 months anymore. It's spendy, but so is the Optima.

View attachment 191473

I put these in last year. So far so good. I also purchased because of the warranty.