Battery Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
I installed a remote starter in my truck about 6 months ago. Last weekend my battery died and I am scheduled to bring my truck in tomorrow to have it replaced under warranty. Is there any way they can try to blame my aftermarket remote start system for my battery dying? I don’t want to be stuck with a $260 battery and $80 diagnostics fee because of an aftermarket remote start that had nothing to do with the battery ******** the bed.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What remote start :rolleyes:
No need to tell them it's installed. When they check your battery they will test it's ability to take a charge and hold it so if it's bad it will fail.

OP
OP
R

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
What remote start :rolleyes:
No need to tell them it's installed. When they check your battery they will test it's ability to take a charge and hold it so if it's bad it will fail.
I guess I should remove the “warning this vehicle is equipped with a remote starter” sticker placed directly next to the battery lol. I just wanted to make sure they weren’t going to hook up a tool that would be able to tell I had one.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
They may not notice the aftermarket remote start unless it is plugged into the OBD port. They may hookup their scan tool as part of checking the vehicle out.

If they do find it, just tell them the diagnostic tests you performed to eliminate the remote start system as a cause of the battery failure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
They may not notice the aftermarket remote start unless it is plugged into the OBF port. They may hookup their scan tool as part of checking the vehicle out.

If they do find it, just tell them the diagnostic tests you performed to eliminate the remote start system as a cause of the battery failure.
It’s not plugged into the obf port. Hopefully they will just test the battery and see that it is completely dead and not give me a hard time.

zrock

Reaction score
I guess I should remove the “warning this vehicle is equipped with a remote starter” sticker placed directly next to the battery lol. I just wanted to make sure they weren’t going to hook up a tool that would be able to tell I had one.
Do not remove the sticker... this is for the safety of the person working on the truck and if you remove it now you are liable if they get hurt... The only way they are going to care about the remote start is if its creating a draw that would kill the battery other than that they will not care. You could have a bad battery or you could have a bad charging system.. Take it to any automotive parts house and they will test for free...

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Do not remove the sticker... this is for the safety of the person working on the truck and if you remove it now you are liable if they get hurt... The only way they are going to care about the remote start is if its creating a draw that would kill the battery other than that they will not care. You could have a bad battery or you could have a bad charging system.. Take it to any automotive parts house and they will test for free...
you quoted a post from me that i didn't post.weird

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I installed a remote starter in my truck about 6 months ago. Last weekend my battery died and I am scheduled to bring my truck in tomorrow to have it replaced under warranty. Is there any way they can try to blame my aftermarket remote start system for my battery dying? I don’t want to be stuck with a $260 battery and $80 diagnostics fee because of an aftermarket remote start that had nothing to do with the battery ******** the bed.
Buy yourself one of these old school toaster style battery testers.Cheap enough everybody should have one.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The question is, did the battery 'die' or was it murdered? How many times did the battery go 'dead' in the process of figuring out the remote start? Or ...was/is there another cause? Is there a drain on the battery now? Someone should look and figure it out. Maybe your current battery isn't dead but your charger just won't charge up a really low battery?

Ultimately you or someone should just verify there isn't an underlying excessive draw on the battery. If there is, the same thing will happen with whatever battery you put in. There could be a lot of possibilities. Or maybe the old battery was a fluke and just failed (rare, but does sometimes occur).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
The question is, did the battery 'die' or was it murdered? How many times did the battery go 'dead' in the process of figuring out the remote start? Or ...was/is there another cause? Is there a drain on the battery now? Someone should look and figure it out. Maybe your current battery isn't dead but your charger just won't charge up a really low battery?

Ultimately you or someone should just verify there isn't an underlying excessive draw on the battery. If there is, the same thing will happen with whatever battery you put in. There could be a lot of possibilities. Or maybe the old battery was a fluke and just failed (rare, but does sometimes occur).
Battery has been fine for months after the installation of the remote starter. Only reason I mentioned this is because I know dealerships can be finicky about aftermarket parts and try to fault them to get out of repair costs.

I let the truck sit for two days over the weekend and came back to a dead battery. I put the battery on a tender over night and it would not hold a charge. I am showing 9 volts on the dash. I have been jumping the battery with a jump box every day so I can still have transportation. When I am driving the voltage reads 14, so the alternator is not the issue. It’s a dead battery.

OP
OP
R

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
Warranty claim on a battery in a 2021 truck ? Check your dates to make sure it even qualifies. I just replaced mine with an AGM H7 from Wallmarts and comes with a 4 year warranty for $180 ea. Good luck.
The truck was bought in 2022 and yes the battery is warrantied under the bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years or 36k miles.

OP
OP
R

Ram23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 classic
Engine
Do not remove the sticker... this is for the safety of the person working on the truck and if you remove it now you are liable if they get hurt... The only way they are going to care about the remote start is if it’s creating a draw that would kill the battery other than that they will not care. You could have a bad battery or you could have a bad charging system.. Take it to any automotive parts house and they will test for free...
I am relatively sure the remote start is not the cause of the battery drain. I will leave the sticker on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Battery tenders won't usually charge up a very depleated battery. A lot of "smart chargers" won't.

A guy can usually bring a fully depleated battery up with an old-school analog battery charger on it's lowest setting .3A or 1A. Let it charge like that on it's lowest setting for a half an hour or hour and then bump it up higher in a gradual manor. Once you've put some charge in it, your Tender should recognize it and take it from there. Expect it to charge a long time ...like a day, if it's that depeated. Don't charge over 10a

If it doesn't come up after that, it's probably dead. A lot of guys have revived a lead-acid patient doing as above.

For years our service mgr at work would replace 'dead' batteries from service vans. They'd sometimes go dead over the weekend from GPS units, etc. I'd take them home, bring them up (as outlined above), and they'd work perfect for many many years. We had a walmart next door and it was easier and faster to just send someone over & buy and install a new battery.

Last edited:

rustyjonez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For what it's worth. I have a 2016 Ram with an after market remote starter I installed.
I still have the original battery-7 years.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery has been fine for months after the installation of the remote starter. Only reason I mentioned this is because I know dealerships can be finicky about aftermarket parts and try to fault them to get out of repair costs.

I let the truck sit for two days over the weekend and came back to a dead battery. I put the battery on a tender over night and it would not hold a charge. I am showing 9 volts on the dash. I have been jumping the battery with a jump box every day so I can still have transportation. When I am driving the voltage reads 14, so the alternator is not the issue. It’s a dead battery.

Try reading the following post again, it contains very important details that I believe you have somehow not recognized. Try to keep in mind, that we see multiple similar faults every week.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...unless the diagnostics lead to checking for parasitic draw and then determined it's the fault of the add-on device.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100870 miles.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
I had a remote starter installed and it killed the battery so put 2 nd new battery in then was fine till i could not shut truck off even with key fob out so disconnected it and fine then year later mopar battery died so they would not warranty it so installed better one more cca so fingers crossed the truck is 2013 express