Beginner toolset suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have a lot of general tools already from when I worked in construction. However, I just got a RAM 1500 and wanted to know if any of you had some recommendations for tools that will come in handy for this thing. I'm going to be putting a hitch on it, toolbox, and installing some tow hooks. I already have a torque wrench that goes to 250 lb-ft. Is there a socket kit you could link me that will cover most of the bolts on the RAM?

I've actually not used a standard socket for lug nuts before so I have no idea what size those are either (for the torque wrench), But I'm planning on also removing the lug nuts so I could do some work behind the wheels as well.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Initially, always buy quality tools. I get the draw to places like Harbor Freight. Try hard to just stay away.

Ask around - mech that has quality tools mixed with HB - they'll always grab for quality. Leave the HB in your trunk for an emergency. Too if lost or stolen, who cares.

I have thousands of tools auto and aircraft maintenance. The number one (#1) and hardest working tool that I own - is a 14" long 1/2" drive breaker bar. I'd get a few lengths, but at least 1/2" drive. By far out of every tool I own - my craftsman breaker bar is used 1000% more than any other tool!

I'd not worry or jump to spending money on a torque wrench. Yes, for some this is a good investment. To me it's not the 1st or 5th thing I'd buy.

You can always use a quality set of 3/8 or better 1/2" drive metric ratchet and sockets - 6 point. There's a need for 1/4" drive, but depends on your money. Start from at least 8mm and up - within what you can afford. Ther 8, 10, 12mm are most used. Miles down the road, you might need above 20mm plus. I don't think you'll need these sizes for a bit. The same for open/boxed end wrenches.

Obviously, cross point and flat top screw drivers. 8" + channel lock plyers, 8" vice grips too. Couple C-clamps. Floor jack and jack stands - that extends low and high enough for your truck.

You're money, but there aren't any power tools really needed - unless you've got money to burn. Suggestion on those is for another post.

Any speciality tools you can get when needed or rent them.

Holler if I can help more.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yes, unfortunately most auto makers are metric. You'll find a mixture, but more metric.

I'm very lucky the fighter jets I work on are still imperial (SAE).

Quality tools will never die; family legacy. I've got tools from my grandfather, born in early 1900s. He was a machinist on Navy ships in San Diego CA. A few of the tools are in rough shape. But many I still use today. That's after my dad used them throughout his life too. My dad was a truck driver, 40 years... He was tough on tools, but always took care of them.

Take care if them, don't leave them outside. DON'T LOAN THEM TO ANYONE! Wipe them down after every use, keep light coats of oil on them. Your great grandkids will appreciate them; I PROMISE.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I buy harbor freight tools and I loan my tools out to friends....But I would rather have friends than tools anyday!
You're funny...

Tools rarely let me down, they don't complain don't care if it's hot or cold. Mainly they only need a good cleaning and little oil. Oh and they don't eat or drink my beer.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
You're funny...

Tools rarely let me down, they don't complain don't care if it's hot or cold. Mainly they only need a good cleaning and little oil. Oh and they don't eat or drink my beer.
Or lose your 10mm sockets! [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
"I have thousands of tools auto and aircraft maintenance."

"The number one (#1) and hardest working tool that I own - is a 14" long 1/2" drive breaker bar".

"I'd get a few lengths, but at least 1/2" drive."

"By far out of every tool I own - my craftsman breaker bar is used 1000% more than any other tool! "

"I'd not worry or jump to spending money on a torque wrench. Yes, for some this is a good investment. To me it's not the 1st or 5th thing I'd buy."

"You can always use a quality set of 3/8 or better 1/2" drive metric ratchet and sockets - 6 point."

"Obviously, cross point and flat top screw drivers." 8" + channel lock plyers, 8" vice grips too.

"Holler if I can help more.
"

Sir, I don't know what to say. I honestly believe you feel this advice is helpful to the young man but i am concerned about a number of things.
I'm 61 yrs old and have wrenched all my own and my families vehicles, motorcycles, tractors, etc. That said, here are my concerns.

I'd like to see the pile of "thousands of tools"

A breaker bar is something I've used so infrequently, I would consider it one of the "specialty tools" you would rent.

The fact you need a breaker bar "1000 % more than any other tool" is
a) confusing. How much is 1000 %? Is it 10 times as much as 100%, which is always.
b) scary since you work on airplanes and apparently don't ever need a Torque wrench!!! I'd like to know what 5 tools come before a Torque wrench whilst airplane wrenching.

I've never seen a metric rachet

6-point sockets? Why? 12 point are great in confined spaces where you can't swing a rachet or, in your case, a breaker bar very far. Some situations you would stuck at that point.

Philips head screwdrivers are called "cross point" by nobody I know. Maybe the Chinese.
Same for "flat top". A flat top is a haircut. You mean straight blade screwdrivers.

I do not say this to condemn you or because I'm a smartass. I'm not. I just see too many red flags which experience has taught me this is not good advice and to the OP, if you're reading this, please seek advice from other sources. Too many rookie mistakes here. There are a great many smart people on/in this forum.

Time to Ramble on.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
"

Sir, I don't know what to say. I honestly believe you feel this advice is helpful to the young man but i am concerned about a number of things.
I'm 61 yrs old and have wrenched all my own and my families vehicles, motorcycles, tractors, etc. That said, here are my concerns.

I'd like to see the pile of "thousands of tools"

A breaker bar is something I've used so infrequently, I would consider it one of the "specialty tools" you would rent.

The fact you need a breaker bar "1000 % more than any other tool" is
a) confusing. How much is 1000 %? Is it 10 times as much as 100%, which is always.
b) scary since you work on airplanes and apparently don't ever need a Torque wrench!!! I'd like to know what 5 tools come before a Torque wrench whilst airplane wrenching.

I've never seen a metric rachet

6-point sockets? Why? 12 point are great in confined spaces where you can't swing a rachet or, in your case, a breaker bar very far. Some situations you would stuck at that point.

Philips head screwdrivers are called "cross point" by nobody I know. Maybe the Chinese.
Same for "flat top". A flat top is a haircut. You mean straight blade screwdrivers.

I do not say this to condemn you or because I'm a smartass. I'm not. I just see too many red flags which experience has taught me this is not good advice and to the OP, if you're reading this, please seek advice from other sources. Too many rookie mistakes here. There are a great many smart people on/in this forum.

Time to Ramble on.
Give the young man quality suggestions. Stop being like everyone else; bullying and trying to discredit someone who's comments you don't agree. You and I don't ever have to agree...

People like you are one reason why I've considered deleting all my social media connections.

I don't need to justify myself. I've taught thousands of USAF mechanics... I know my advice is sound.

Let the OP decide what he wants from the suggestions provided.

Dude come on.... Do you really need to nit pick like that. Give me a break! I will not engage you further in your post.

Last edited:

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I have a lot of general tools already from when I worked in construction. However, I just got a RAM 1500 and wanted to know if any of you had some recommendations for tools that will come in handy for this thing. I'm going to be putting a hitch on it, toolbox, and installing some tow hooks. I already have a torque wrench that goes to 250 lb-ft. Is there a socket kit you could link me that will cover most of the bolts on the RAM?

I've actually not used a standard socket for lug nuts before so I have no idea what size those are either (for the torque wrench), But I'm planning on also removing the lug nuts so I could do some work behind the wheels as well.

This is a fun bunch of reading! "Metric Ratchet"? Maybe overseas somewhere...?

As my Dad said: "Buy the best tools you can afford, good ones won't let you down". You were in Construction, you know this.

Seriously, I have never seen a truly comprehensive set of Metric sockets. What I have found is you can buy a good set of metric sockets and then add both the larger and smaller one by one from Amazon. I have both regular and deep sockets, used regularly. I have had Craftsman tools fail, but they get replaced for free, check that warranty. Get 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sets. 6-point sockets can save you if the nut is a little rounded where a 12-point would slip. Badly rounded ones may need a splitter.

A tool I truly love is my DeWalt 18 volt (the new ones are 20 volt and better) little impact driver---not the big air-tool type. I'm older and have arthritis so even turning Phillps-head screws that are long and sometimes many does not interest me. The driver with a set of bits will be a nice addition---and get the bits for the sockets too. My buddy has a Hitachi and it's just as good. Get one on sale with a charger and extra battery.

BTW: worked with a Japanese tech some years ago and he called the screwdrivers a "minus" or a "plus" when he wanted a Flat-blade or a Phillips.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Stop by your local Lowes if you have one. They have been reducing their floorplan of Kobalt tools in favor of Crapsmen. You can find some pretty good deals on them. Mine had $199 mechanics set for $99. The Crapsmen wrenches and ratchets are pretty good but stay away from their phillips head screwdrivers. Everyone I have had the tips start to round really easily. Once they are rounded trash them or they will strip every screw you use them on.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Stop by your local Lowes if you have one. They have been reducing their floorplan of Kobalt tools in favor of Crapsmen. You can find some pretty good deals on them. Mine had $199 mechanics set for $99. The Crapsmen wrenches and ratchets are pretty good but stay away from their phillips head screwdrivers. Everyone I have had the tips start to round really easily. Once they are rounded trash them or they will strip every screw you use them on.
No, don't toss those rounded over philips screw drivers! Craftsman warranties they forever. Every 4 or 5 years, I bring a bag of tools to any Craftsman retailer (used to be just Sears). They ask me to go get new ones off the shelves and them match/charge/delete and that's it. You leave with all new ones. Doesn't have to be broken Worn is good enough. I've never had them turn down anything I ever brought them.
I've been doing this with Craftsman tools since the mid 70's.
FYI, This ONLY applies to "Craftsman" tools. "Sears" tools and those crap light green handle tools do NOT have this warranty.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would recommend buying a metric socket set that is made in Taiwan. The quality of products produced there is as high as anywhere in the world. A good tool to have in addition to vise-grips is an extendible length socket wrench. A good one can be in its shortest position in tight spaces and extended by 6 inches to provide more leverage for very tight nuts or bolts. A set of adjustable spanners from 6" to 12" is also very useful when working on cars.

J.H. Williams is a division of SnapOn and their tools are excellent and a great value overall.

I am still using tools that my father used during WW II on aircraft and so I learned at an early age that a good tool will last a lifetime or two. I also learned at an early age that is not a good idea to loan out tools to friends and neighbors.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is a little old but I'll add my .02. Like many in here I'm a weekend mechanic but I'm also a professional industrial electrician with some industrial mechanical experience. I know the value of quality tools. Some of my tools are top of the line and some are lower quality. It depends on how often and how hard I use them.

That being said the first question is how much money do you have to invest in tools now? If it's a decent amount buy quality now. If not buy cheaper and upgrade when needed.

Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. They are made by Stanley now and are on par with Husky and Kobalt (IMHO). Harbor Freight aren't that bad depending on what you're buying. Read the reviews and you'll get a better idea about what's good and what's junk. I have a set of HF sockets for work because I don't use them often and they are holding up nicely. At home I have older Craftsman, SK, Snap on, and other older brands from my dad that are no longer around.

What to buy? Buy a pretty extensive socket set. 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". SAE and Metric. A 3/8" and 1/2" breaker bar will come in handy when your doing suspension work or brakes. Buy a separate set of socket extensions. All three sizes and various lengths. You never have enough of them. Buy a set of nut drivers, Metric and SAE. Good screwdrivers. Get a couple of magnetic pick up tools. A large and small one. You'll need them more often then you think. Get a set of combination wrenches. Also a set of ratchet wrenches wouldn't hurt. Again metric and SAE on both. A set of o-ring picks come in handy to. Also a set of trim removal tools if your so inclined.

As far as speciality tools go. Get them as the job dictates. The list is endless but what I listed will get you started.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Look into Tekton A Lot of their tools are made in the US. Priced good with a no fault warranty

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure how much this helps but here it goes.

I'm in general construction and do odd jobs from time to time. I like to own a tool instead of renting. I'm no mechanic but still like to fix things on my vehicles when I can. I've collected various tools over a 20 yr period and find some tools that are cheap are still good and some tools that are expensive are not good. Honestly you will start to know what you need and what works for you as you go along, there's just no way around it. That's how I've built up the tools I have and how I've learned. Short of going to a hardware store and filling up 5 shopping carts worth of tools, there's no way to predict what you will need other than very few basic sets to start with.

I can go to home depot now and fill up 5 carts of tools and would still feel as if I don't have enough. Ask some contractors when your at the store, they usually know what truly works best. Also don't be shy to poke around at the local mechanic shop while you have an oil change done(obviously get the oil change so you're able to see what they use etc). A year from now you'll have added many of the tools you've needed and you'll look back and say dam I can't believe how much I've learned. It's a good feeling. Hope this helps.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm a little behind on this one but I'll see if I can help as I have a tool addiction.

Short story at the age of 14 now 31 I got my first tool box a husky 36in and my first took kit it was also husky. It came with the basics 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in ratchet and sockets screw driver wrenches about a 200 peice set. I consider myself a experienced weekend warrior I use to build race cars do all my own maintenance swapped several transmissions, built engines ect. My profession is in aviation welding we have the good tools at my shop alot of them even requiring calibration. My advice to any beginner is to start with what you can afford. Get a good basic mechanic set 200, 300, 400 peice sets from lowes or homedepot craftsman kobalt husky. Dont get on that snap on truck and rack up 30k in debt and have to pay $300 a month for god knows how long. Even as a professional welder my personal machine is a hobart, I use miller all day long at work but personal use doesnt justify spending miller prices at home. I'm a firm believer in buying middle of the road for weekend use. Husky craftsman kobalt are all about the same to each other quality wise. I have used pretty much exclusively husky for the last 16-17years at home (still have my original mechanic set 16-17 years later) and they have yet to let me down. My dad has had craftsman for even longer. I dont lean on them every day but they will get you a good start. Now you have your mechanics set get a torque wrench, channel locks, vice grips. Tools not to get from harbor freight anything saftey like Jack's and stands items that need to be quality like drill bits, tap and dies, and bolt extractors just not worth it even for a 1 time use. Things I would buy at HF would be things like pry bars, punches, chisel( not wood working ) the stuff your going to use once and beat on anyways and you expect to break. Now for the beginner professional get your box store special set going then get on that snap on truck and spend your money as you have it on things you really need and build from there. There is no denying that a snap on ratchet is far superior to the husky and would probably be one of my first upgrades if I used my tools daily. I hope this helps I could spend hours talking about tool boxes, and days talking hand tools and power tools. Advice to buying tools buy kits and sets try not to buy individual items you always get better deals in sets. Also black friday usually has some good deals on ratching wrenches and drill bit kits. I got a Milwaukee drill bit set that was 100+ peices. Had every thing from Phillips, flat heads, torx, long bits short bits, holders, nut drivers, drill bits, socket adapter and everything was impact rated for $49.99 it was nearly a $200 kit. Just shows what you can get when you shop it. I should stop here or I wont go to bed....