Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner toolset suggestions?

Discussion in 'Garage' started by ramhacker, Aug 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dbking321

dbking321 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    See if you can get a black Friday deal on a set of tools. Then add as needed.... .you can never have enough tools

14hemiexpress likes this.
  2. Hemi832

Hemi832 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    If you don't know what you want, BUY WHAT YOU NEED, WHEN YOU NEED IT. That is how I started and am still building my tool set.

3. RamminMopar

RamminMopar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Just started my own set as well but my advice would be to start with a tool set with ratchets and sockets of 1/4,3/8,1/2 and a screwdriver set.

4. RoadRamblerNJ

RoadRamblerNJ Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Like 14hemiexpress said a few posts back, and I 100% agree, buy Snap On ratchets! I bought 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch swivel heads when I was 27 yrs old and I still use them and I'm 61 now. Best damn money I ever spent! Soo much thinner heads for tight spots and much finer ratcheting gears. My S.O. clicks 5 or 6 times for every one ckick on a Craftsman ratchet. Life saver sometimes. They are also the ONLY Snap On tools I ever bought. Saw my bosses "mortgage" payment every week when the truck pulled up. Every week he handed them $350. For years. Not me. I was just the mechanic, not the business owner. My old collection of Craftsman sockets, combo wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc, etc work just fine. When they broke or just got dull, rounded over, whatever, just bring it back & get a brand new one. Guaranteed for life. Used to bring a bag full every 5 yrs or so. I'm Not familiar with the stuff being made by Stanley.
    It's nice to finally be able to walk up & down the isles in Sears and go "got it, got it, got 'em, got it, don't need it, got 4 of those".......hahaha. Good Shopping pal.

Hemi832, 14hemiexpress and Loudram like this.
  5. Keasy

Keasy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    as one poster st as Ted buy quality tools, and know your tool companies, as who makes what for instance. Stanley owns, Craftsman. And Dewalt .so you know they make good solid tools, life time warranty is grest.
    Craftmsn makes a starter kit if like 300 tools, of both metric and SAE , wrenches combination, double open, etc, rachets. Sockets swallow,and deep, Allen wrenches,and some bits,allen,star,Allen,, that is a good place to start, get a good tool storage room around cabinet. Then add you your special tools oil filter wrench, funnels,drain pan ,and rags or shop paper towels ,lights and such.
    Then you can get into floor jacks,and jack stands(a must have) when buy all of this make sure to buy the things to clean your garage broom,dust pan,kitty litter, a dirty ,slippery floor is no fun to work on.
    Later you can buy as needed your test equipment.

6. miles01

miles01 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The most used tools among the hundreds of tools I have is the ratchet set that has 1/2, 3.8, and 1/4 inch drive with all sockets and extensions that go with it.
    It was a kit in hard case 20 years ago from sears (no longer in business) cost $99, kit like that is about $600 - $1,200 now.
    If you live in Canada watch for sales of ratchet sets at Canadian Tire, a set can be gotten for cheap when on sale (don't know where to buy in USA).
    Also a multy bit screw driver, plyers (vise grip, regular, side cutter, and needle nose)
    If you have these basic tools most maintenance and modifications can be done easily.

7. kevkev

kevkev Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Stay away from Crapsman

8. Barney556180

Barney556180 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 ltr V-6
    That’s a damned shame...Craftsman was the standard for quality and lifetime warranty replacement, no questions asked.

I’ve had Craftsman tools for near 40 years. Haven’t had to buy any for a while. Guess quality went down the toilet along with Sears.

9. Doug Ram

Doug Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel _3.0
    Craftsman was never the best quality, despite their lifetime warranty, which they still have. The mediocre quality was good enough for users and since you could always get it replaced at any Sears, their tools were a decent value.... Fast forward to today. You can't be sure that you will be able to replace it that tool.. Sears is nearly dead. Sears has closed in most cities. Online presence is awful. And while Craftsman is now available at Ace and other home stores, it's not owned by Sears. So who is backing that warranty? Stanley? Ace? Bottom line: I would not trust that the warranty will be honored without a receipt, or that the same tool is available in 5 years.

10. tron67j

tron67j Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Just going through this, one tool I have found indispensable is actually a set of plastic pry tools that is use to remove dash pieces, etc. Got a set on Amazon, have used for so many things in garage and around house.

On Craftsman, I used to do the warranty replacement on them and did my own construction work over the years so I have probably seen more than most people ever will. I will say almost 100% of the screwdriver replacements were due to someone using flathead for a pry bar and Phillips head because they were using it to dimple metal for a drill bit or to make a hole in something or pounding on the handle while trying to remove a rusted screw. I rarely saw craftsman screwdrivers with worn phillips heads coming in for replacement. And personally, my drawer is full of some from my grandfather, my dad, and my purchases over the years. No worn ones and I work them all the time.