Best Affordable Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarx9002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Hello,

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 North Edition - Crew Cab with the 6.5" bed.

Looking for affordable running boards. What do you guys like / had good success with?

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got the factory installed wheel to wheel running boards and they are great and look good on the truck.

Red

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
RBP makes ones, or AMP

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any recommendation I would make really depends on the reason you want them. Are you wanting them for looks? Are you wanting them for functionality? Are you wanting them for both looks and functionality? Or are you wanting them for rocker protection against rock chips? Will you be going off-road much, and maybe have a ground clearance concern?

OP
OP
G

guitarx9002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Any recommendation I would make really depends on the reason you want them. Are you wanting them for looks? Are you wanting them for functionality? Are you wanting them for both looks and functionality? Or are you wanting them for rocker protection against rock chips? Will you be going off-road much, and maybe have a ground clearance concern?

I want them for functionality to be able to step in the truck. Looks obviously are important because I want them to look nice, lol.

I was thinking of going with these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVQXQ9...olid=2PCIENRQ0O1BS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I put those on my 21 1500 and they are great.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I want them for functionality to be able to step in the truck. Looks obviously are important because I want them to look nice, lol.

I was thinking of going with these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVQXQ9...olid=2PCIENRQ0O1BS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Those should work fine for you. But none have been as purely functional as the power steps that came on my Limited. All of the aftermarket steps I've ever tried all had one thing in common. The actual step was too close to the rocker panel, and depending on the height of the truck, were sometimes too high as well. And stepping on them required me to place my foot very close to the truck, sometimes at awkward angles. The power steps on my Limited are placed perfectly whether entering or exiting the truck. No need to turn my foot at awkward angles to use them. They are definitely not cheap, but I'm never using anything else. If my next truck doesn't have them I'm going to add them myself.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i went oem on my powerwagon just for the fact they were covered under my extended warranty.plus they look good and function perfect for my clodhoppers.

snareman11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 - eTorque
I went with the Rough Country running boards. Link below. They fit well and look great. I also liked how the are adjustable so you can push them closer to the truck or pull them out a little more (maybe you have bigger feet?).

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with the Rough Country running boards. Link below. They fit well and look great. I also liked how the are adjustable so you can push them closer to the truck or pull them out a little more (maybe you have bigger feet?).

Where did you purchase yours?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Those should work fine for you. But none have been as purely functional as the power steps that came on my Limited. All of the aftermarket steps I've ever tried all had one thing in common. The actual step was too close to the rocker panel, and depending on the height of the truck, were sometimes too high as well. And stepping on them required me to place my foot very close to the truck, sometimes at awkward angles. The power steps on my Limited are placed perfectly whether entering or exiting the truck. No need to turn my foot at awkward angles to use them. They are definitely not cheap, but I'm never using anything else. If my next truck doesn't have them I'm going to add them myself.
I agree completely. Have them on the 2021, 2500, which has an even higher step in than the 1500. Single best option on the truck. Only complaint is I cannot for the life of me find a set of frame mounted boards for the rear box. Being a long box and that far off the ground it would be much easier to reach inside with boards on the box section. The factory wheel to wheel are top quality and a decent price.