Best Battery brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had nothing but bad luck with optima red top batteries, I always buy them.. have issues and then replace with a napa Legend AGM Battery. Ive always had good luck with the napa ones. Next time I will just get that to begin with. On a side note my 19' just clicked 61k with the OEM battery here in cold NY

Matt2221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used DEKKA but so far I'm very unsatisfied. I have replaced them already and only had them 4 years and then I bought a replacement NAPA brand that is also supposed to be rebranded for NAPA by DEKKA. it lasted less than a year. So I wouldn't recommend NAPA brand.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have used DEKKA but so far I'm very unsatisfied. I have replaced them already and only had them 4 years and then I bought a replacement NAPA brand that is also supposed to be rebranded for NAPA by DEKKA. it lasted less than a year. So I wouldn't recommend NAPA brand.
It would be interesting to know how you used the batteries that have failed you. I would think that you may be using the wrong chemistry for your application causing early failures.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Over here in Dubai, on my trucks, I've had AC Delco, Energizer, Solite and Varta. Currently on a Varta battery; which has pretty good reviews.
The battery that lasted the longest is the AC Delco. I'll let you know how the Varta goes.
How often do your batteries last? Over here in Dubai, batteries do generally last about 2.5 years.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Over here in Dubai, on my trucks, I've had AC Delco, Energizer, Solite and Varta. Currently on a Varta battery; which has pretty good reviews.
The battery that lasted the longest is the AC Delco. I'll let you know how the Varta goes.
How often do your batteries last? Over here in Dubai, batteries do generally last about 2.5 years.

Varies wildly, as you'll see from answers already posted and more to come in direct response to your question. I've had everything from 24 months to 10y+. A lot depends on usage, weather, and just sheer dumb luck.

BobWh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Research the company Clarios, they are the largest battery maker and also who makes the die hard. They also make for other labels, possibly even the Autozone label.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
East Penn is another player, making Duracell Deka and Napa.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doesn't really matter the branded sticker on the battery... since Johnson Controls made them ALL, and vendors put their own stickers on them.... get the one with the specs you want and the best warranty.... JCI sold their battery division but the same remains that ALL batteries NO MATTER the size are STILL made by that company.

Neidigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So who makes the OEM batteries for Ram? I have a 2014 ram 1500 that I bought new and the battery is still going great. ( knock on wood)

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So back in the day when I was a Parts Manager for CarQuest, there were only two companies in the US that built batteries for the US Market. Johnson Labs and one other I can't remember the name of right off. So's you guys know, that they do is use the "ingredients" so to say that the retailer requests (AutoZone "Duralast", Interstate, or any other brand) in the config for the batteries that retailer sales. AutoZone, Interstate, and Diehard, USED to be some of the best in the industry. I use the Duralast Gold in my trucks, and have had extremely good luck with them. I don't have an Interstate dealer near me, or they would be up on my choice also. Hope that helps.
Costco sells Interstate batteries.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
03 2500 4x4 diesel. I bought 2 yellow tops. got tired of not having power when I needed it. yep there pricy, but even when it was 18 degrees, cranked right up. dependable vs price.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently the vast preponderance of aftermarket batteries are sourced by only three manufacturers:

So who do you think makes the best truck batteries in today's world?
As for me, I've purchased Duracell AGM batteries for both my 2016 Ram BigHorn 5.7 and 2015 MB E250 diesel at Batteries Plus Bulbs. The price was right, had immediate and free installation, and warranties and specs were competitive with anything else that was designed to fit. Good luck - I wonder why someone with a 2021 model vehicle already needs a battery.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I have an Interstate now that replaced the OE Battery (from 2015, OE battery only lasted about 42 months). The Interstate was a quick easy replacement.

If I had more time, I likely would have tracked down an Deka (East Penn Manufacturing) as I have used those for decades and always found them to last, have a LOT of juice to crank crapping running vehicles. :)
I have a Deka Group 31 battery in my Long 51hp diesel tractor that I've had at least 6 years. Not a big deal except I got it out of the warranty return pile at a friend's Deka dealership. I picked up two that had done a couple of years in a coal hauler before they were warranteed. The other one died a couple years ago because of neglect, I had it in a project vehicle and let it sit about a year without charging it. This one I've been smarter with, during the winter I put a maintainer on it like I do most all of our seasonal batteries. I also invested a few years ago in a "Radiant Charger". It doesn't revive a totally junk battery, but a shot about once a year preserves most batteries beyond their normal life span. Between the radiant charger and off season battery maintainer, I got almost 8 years out of the OEM small battery in my 21hp Husqvarna lawn tractor. As for my Ram, I'm reading this thread because my 16 Pentastar still has the original battery working fine. But writing this might be the straw breaking the camel's back, I know I'm on borrowed time.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are three major automotive starting flooded battery manufacturers in the United States. There are four absorbed glass-mat (AGM) starting battery manufacturers and there are four flooded deep cycle battery/major deep cycle battery manufacturers in the United States.

Dvst8err

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced my 2014 1500 with interstate AGM

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well there you have it 6 pages of the best battery :) Been at this a long time 59years . Had them all , and I won’t go any further then Walmart , price and warranty can’t be beat . Take your pick AGM or the regular Everstart . Or not:33:

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I have gone from O'reilly's best to Interstate. My local battery monger will come out and change it. We used to get batteries with 5 and 6 year warranties. Now you are lucky to get 2 years.

Had an Oreilly's that was 3 weeks out and they would not stand behind it.

pops lam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
According to Project Farm, the Walmart brand tested better than most.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No question, DEKA. That's the only battery I've bought for the last 10 years. I haven't had to replace a single one of them since purchase either.