Best Dash Cam For the Money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
A friend just had a very close call on the highway when he had to steer almost all the way into the gravel shoulder to avoid a headon with a wreckless driver that was passing multiple cars around a bend in the road. We both decided getting a dash cam would be a good idea. Send that video to Highway Patrol and have an Officer go out and pound on his door!

Anyone here with knowledge on the best for the money dash cams to purchase?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Before I tell you what I got I'll say this, watch the latest reviews on YouTube of dashcams. The options and updates on these cameras change so often that the "Best" from 2 months ago is now trumped by the latest greatest.
Second, by watching video reviews you'll learn what features they have to offer. From video quality, dual cameras, sound, Wifi connection, review screen or no screen, G sensor, Motion park sensor, remote access, and the list goes on.
It's going to come down to what "must have" features YOU want at what price $ will determine "The Best" .

I personally have hard wired on my Ram a wifi connection camera with no screen that utilizes an App on my phone to view and download pics or movie. It has G-shock recording but does not have the 10 second recording when it senses motion like my old one did, and I miss that. But its discreet and doesn't block my view and has worked nicely.
This has been best for me currently but I know I could probably find better at a higher cost.
I'll include pic below. And the link, but since I bought it 2 yrs ago it is no longer available. This is typical for these things as they usually do a production run and start on a revised version. Once the run is sold out they're usually gone.
JOMISE K7 Dash Cam for Cars, Real 2.5K Smart Driving Recorder with WiFi GPS, 2" Touch Screen, Ahead Car Move Reminder, Traffic Lights Change Reminder, Night Vision, G-Sensor, Loop Recording https://a.co/d/2SJZlnu

Good luck in your search. Its alot like Best tires or Best oil searches! Most are based on opinion and may not qualify as the Best for your use.
16887520245313440641248665758167.jpg

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Agreed ^^
It all comes down to ones budget and what one wants for features.

I do however recommend that you ensure your dash camera system has a built in GPS stamp for the videos/pictures, because in a court of law only a date/time/GPS stamped video/picture is admissible as evidence. Anything less can be contested.

I also recommend hard wiring in the system as this will enable parking mode and some other features on certain models. Of course there is also the OBD port power, but I personally don't prefer that route as it's my OBD port and can be taken out or knocked, etc.

I am just waiting on delivery of a new upgraded front and rear dash cam setup that's 4K front and 2K rear. I'm going with the Thinkware U3000 set up because I want to ensure I can have the best possible video capture.

I currently run a Momento M7 front and rear set up and it's pretty good, but I've had some issues with it and because I practically live in my truck for work I can't have issues.

I will say this though, having the front and rear dash cameras are such a relief. I have had some dang close calls with morons on the roads, both in town and on the highways.

In my opinion, it's some of the cheapest insurance around to have these cameras covering you just in case.

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I ended up with a NEXbase 222K unit which has both front and rear cameras. It was cheap on an ebay closeout. Simple to use.

Works great has already caught some driver trying to run me off the road, cops couldnt care less unless there are shots fired though!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have several Street Guardian dashcams and happy with all of them. Have caught many traffic incidences and been able to send the video file to those involved and/or law enforcement.
Whoever's dashcam you decide on, use with High Endurance microSD from either SanDisk or Samsung. They're built to take the repetitive writing that dashcams do, and buy the largest capacity card the cam can use or your wallet can afford.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Thinkware F200 pro, front and rear cameras.
It's not the best but decent for what I could afford (I have them on both my vehicles).
I definitely like having both front and rear cameras.
Picture is good in daylight, not that great at night.
It's HD, but records at 30fps. I think 60 fps would have been better, but no way to compare directly. From reviews I've read, none of them are really good enough to always clearly read license plates and other details like that.
I hardwired it, easy to do. Small enough that I don't even notice it's there.
I really like the peace of mind, and it was super helpful when I was delivering in my Beetle, the number of idiots running red lights, cutting me off and so on...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a business, driving my Ram is my business
When i meet my customer, they are driving a semi truck usually
their LOAD is OVER 12 feet Wide
The truck driver can not use their door mirrors, so by State & Federal Law, they Must have at least one Escórt, at times i have been one of 3 Escórts for just one load. Other times, there may be 2 Highway Patrol & 2 Escórts.

These truck loads often cost more than a Million Dollars.

Because of this, most Escórts have 1 or 2 dash cams

I recently bought a Magellan GPS & Dashcam
It is a reconditioned unit
It displays either Navigational Maps or what the dash cam sees
It will record the dash cam view, as i watch the navigation
the unit will take a 64 bit SD type card

1688797698483.png

refurbished

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I do however recommend that you ensure your dash camera system has a built in GPS stamp for the videos/pictures, because in a court of law only a date/time/GPS stamped video/picture is admissible as evidence. Anything less can be contested.

Maybe in Canada, but not true in America. *ANY* video can be contested, regardless of time stamps, etc. However a known involved party testifying it's a true and accurate representation of the event will get it admitted unless there's some major reason to not to, such as evidence of tampering. If the footage shows a crash involving the other party in an area that looks like the area the crash happened, nobody is going to contest the video nor get it suppressed. And that's in criminal court, which has a higher burden than civil court. Using it for your own insurance purposes has no burden, given it's not a court system to begin with.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I don't disagree!
Here admissibility can be challenged if there is no GPS stamping. A good defense lawyer is worth their weight in gold ;) (better call Saul...lol)

But again, I should clarify more that obvious incidents (collisions other potential criminal things with street signs or landmarks, or other obvious indicators in the files) lend credence to the video/picture file regardless of GPS stamping, and thus could be presented as evidence.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I just ordered a FitCamX for my Ram, Its 4K and looks factory. I watched some reviews on it and looked pretty good. Of course, I can't speak the quality and longevity until I get in hand and start using it but it looks good on paper!

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been reviewing for a few months now and think I finally decided on the Viofo 139 pro. Will be hardwired. Amazon prime days is coming up so hoping for a discount.

4X4BOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered a FitCamX for my Ram, Its 4K and looks factory. I watched some reviews on it and looked pretty good. Of course, I can't speak the quality and longevity until I get in hand and start using it but it looks good on paper!
I got the FitcamX...works great, looks Factory installed with no wires to run.
I have no complaints

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend just had a very close call on the highway when he had to steer almost all the way into the gravel shoulder to avoid a headon with a wreckless driver that was passing multiple cars around a bend in the road. We both decided getting a dash cam would be a good idea. Send that video to Highway Patrol and have an Officer go out and pound on his door!

I use a Red Tiger. Great and affordable.

Malodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a dual camera Street Guardian Dashcam in my 2008 Big Horn and 2021 Laramie.
I was also looking at the Viofo 129 and 139 models when I got the Laramie.
I was using a Finevu CR500 in the Big Horn until the Battery gave out.

The Forums at Dashcamtalk.com have some good info and reviews.

Malodave

4X4BOSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FitcamX...Looks like Factory Box, adapter snaps in at the Mirror Power for the camera...can see on App as you drive or download to phone or pull SD card and download to PC

Attachments

• IMG_20230210_170405.jpg
    IMG_20230210_170405.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 43

attaboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of the best things I ever bought for proof regarding accidents and crooked cops. Get one NOW.

ghostnumberone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque

Yes, had a garmin in wifes car and when there was an accident that footage was gone. Bought a Vantrue and love them. Has cameras front and back, also parking mode if senses motion. Great camera and very good price.