Best headlight bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not happy with the stock headlights on my 2014 Outdoorsman and am looking to replace the bulbs with something with mor slight output. I am not interested in switching to HID at this point.

I have had Sylvania Silverstars on my last vehicle and am debating getting them again or something else. I'm looking to replace both the low and high beam bulbs.

I'm looking at the Silverstars Ultras, PIAA Xtreme White, or Phillips Xtreme Vision. Does anyone know out of these bulbs which will work the best?

Thanks

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
I was thinking of going with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Halogen Headlights
I had them in my car & thought they were awesome.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Silverstar Ultras in my Charger. They suck. They are WHITER, not brighter. The distance the light shines is about 1/3 less than the factory bulbs put out, which isn't safe. When I drive the car at night, just doing the speed limit feels like I'm over driving my lights because as soon as I see something in the road, I'm already on it...

Been thinking about H9 or HIR bulbs as I will not put HID into the stock pods w/o doing a projector retrofit, which I don't have the time, patience or money to do...

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
H9 for lows HIR for highs. This halogen setup will be much better then stock, without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I will get Philips HIR1 bulbs for the high beams. For the H9 bulbs is one brand better than others or does it matter?

ItsMeKO3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been thinking about H9 or HIR bulbs as I will not put HID into the stock pods w/o doing a projector retrofit, which I don't have the time, patience or money to do...

^^^Agreed. I really want a custom set from the Retro Shop but just don't have the money for them right now.

I had the stock quad chrome housings and I didn't like the look of them on my truck. I just picked up a set of blacked out quads and put those on. I upgraded the bulbs while I was at it. I put Phillips H9 in the lows and Phillips HIR1 in the high beams. Jeremy form Retro Shop posted on my thread and he was saying how the reflectors in the factory housings have been redesigned to get more output. The aftermarket ones like I picked don't have the R&D into them like the factory housings, so the reflectors aren't quite as good. In the end, my output is probably only slightly better than it was with my stock housings and bulbs. But with the upgraded bulbs in the factory housings, I bet it'd be a pretty good improvement.

ruraldodge607

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I ended up putting H11 LED replacements, I also prefer Projectors but for the time and hassle I put in the LEDs for the mean time. Much brighter and minimal adjustments/hacking needed, they don't seem shine beyond the stock, I think a little more upwards glare but not bad. I can post pics if wanted.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I will get Philips HIR1 bulbs for the high beams. For the H9 bulbs is one brand better than others or does it matter?

I got and am pleased with the Philips brand h9. Best price is on home Depots website.

The h9 takes a little modding to fit, a couple of minutes with the dremel.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone tried off-road H11 bulb(80w)?

I was running some off-road H4 (100w) in our Lexus LS400 and it was great. Never got flashed by oncoming traffic.