Best Over All Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigB55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to know what is the best all around tires. I got started really thinking about this yesterday when I was pulling my buddy out of some mud. First off he's only has a 4x2 so why he thought this was a good idea I have no clue. But the main point is I had no traction in mud that wasn't that deep... It was just a soccer field that was really wet. I'm running Nitto Tera Grapplers which I thought would b a good cross between on road and off road. I don't mud a whole lot, but I occasionally pull a buddy out or have to go through some moderate mud to get to the blind or run into it working on a friends ranch. And the way I see it I might as well be running some Wrangler HPs considering they're cheaper and basically got the same pathetic performance out of my Nittos.
So I want to know who y'all think has the best tire for an all round truck. Mud, dirt, road.
I like the look of the Weangler Dura Tracs, Wrangler MT/Rs, and Toyo Open Country ATs. But I'm going for more function than aesthetics.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
In my opinion, your main limiting factors are price and wear mileage.

Those are both issues with going with dedicated mud tires such as the Cooper STT and any MT. If you use them a lot, go with a dedicated mud tire. If you don't, go with an aggressive AT such as the Dura Trac or even the Cooper ATP (from Discount Tire).

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyo AT2 Extreme and Cooper ST Maxx are the two I am looking at right now. I am pretty sure I will end up with the AT2 Extreme.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I dont think ill ever buy another tire other then the duratracs, but depends on your use and intensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pburg375

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I really like the TOYO Open Country Mts. They are 10 ply and lasted over 55,000 mi on a friends 2500 with cummins. He uses it for everyday hauling as well. Its what I am going with and I am on the road majority of my time.

bmapes25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got bf goodrech all- terrains. They have been a great tire on and off road. Good grip on wet roads as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock tires that came on my 2010 Jeep Rubicon were pretty cool.
BF Goodrich Mud Terrains.
I have acreage 120 miles from where I live, so I did a lot of highway miles on them as well as pretty heavy off-roading.
I got 60K miles out of the originals and replaced them with the same tire.
Traded in the Jeep shortly after for my Ram.
Downside is that they were specifically made for the Jeep Rubicon and only come in limited sizes.
I haven't looked yet, but I don't think I will be able to get them for the Ram.
They were a much better tire than anything else I have ever experienced from BF, that's for sure.

These are the guys. The KM's. There is also a KM2 out, but from what I understand, the original KM is the tire to have offroad.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM

Surprisingly not that loud on the highway. (compared to all the wind noise in a jeep LOL)

Last edited:

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, you have to realize that no all terrain tire is gonna perform great in mud. If you decide to make the jump to a MT, the Toyo MT and Nitto Trail Grapplers have the best on road performance while still working well in mud.

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you want a good on and off road tire, that's quiet and lasts a very long time, then BFG TA KO is your tire. They cost $$$. They served me very well in mud, snow and sand and were very very quiet on the highway.

I have TOYO OC AT Extreme's now and while they are pretty good, they are noisy. They were also much cheaper than the BFG's. An MT is going to be annoying loud if you do a lot of highway driving. I haven't had a chance to test the TOYO's off road.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Cooper AT's on my 1500 4x4 have been great as an "do it all" tire. Also affordable and last a good long time.

If I had the big $$, I would go with BFG's, as the A/T's that came from the factory on my Power Wagon have been nothing but outstanding. When they need replacing, I will either step up and go with a BFG M/T, or go budget like our "old" truck and go with the Coopers. Probably the BFG's on the PW , as it is such a sweet truck and I don't want to cheap out and limit it's already incredible off road abilities in any way.

bmapes25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personal opinion.. Tires, toilet paper, and cheese are three things you don't want to go the cheap/less expensive route on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk