Best shocks for 4" lift to maintain rake, not level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadGumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be ordering my zone 4" lift here soon for my 2016 1500, but I have two questions:

I do not want to level the front, I'd like to maintain the stock rake

So should I order the 3" springs instead of the 2" spacers?

Which shocks should I go with for predominately on-road, country, pot-hole ridden roads, some offroad use? I am getting old and I need a smooth ride, not a kidney crushing rough ride.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Zone 4"F/3"R with Bils set at 1.4 and I have 3/4" of rake ... Get the upgraded Fox shocks for the rear ... They ride great ... I'm runnin 35'sc9af48b7bff1fcff3a2e5ba01a634cf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be ordering my zone 4" lift here soon for my 2016 1500, but I have two questions:

I do not want to level the front, I'd like to maintain the stock rake

So should I order the 3" springs instead of the 2" spacers?

Which shocks should I go with for predominately on-road, country, pot-hole ridden roads, some offroad use? I am getting old and I need a smooth ride, not a kidney crushing rough ride.

measure from the ground to the center of each fenderwell (front and rear), subtract the difference and that's your rake. If your truck is say 2.75" higher in the rear and you raise the front 4" and the rear 3" that's a 1" difference. Therefore 2.75" - 1" = 1.75" rake remaining

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^^ This info is exactly right ... Do the measurements to get your starting point ... Then simple math tells you were the different lift options will put you ... If for nothing but better ride, the Bilsteins up front are worth it ... The Zone 3" coils with the Fox shocks are also a way better ride ... If you are gonna run 35's, I just don't think you will be happy with the Zone 4"F with no Bils, and a 2" spacer in the rear ... How many times have you bought a flat screen tv, watched it for a week or two, and thought "**** ! Why didn't I get the bigger one ?" ... Trust me ... It will happen

OP
OP
M

MadGumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to do the measurements tonight and get a better idea, but it sounds like bils in the front will give me a better ride with the ability to adjust and level down the road, and 3" springs in the rear should maintain my rake (I will measure) and the fox shocks are going to be nice driving huh?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstine 5100s [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MadGumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've spent the last hour trying to figure out which bilsteins (part number) for the rear with 3" coils instead of using the fox 2.0. Anyone know what I need for the rear?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've spent the last hour trying to figure out which bilsteins (part number) for the rear with 3" coils instead of using the fox 2.0. Anyone know what I need for the rear?

The below part numbers are from the Superlift kit. I used these with my 5” rear BDS coils but I’m 99% sure Superlift uses the same rear shock for their 4” and 6” kit. Call Superlift and ask them to verify the part numbers, they are nice and easy to order over the phone. You can also look up the specs for your shock number and verify to the specs of the number below.

You have to buy the superlift bushing kit too, Bilstein doesn’t make a shock long enough with our bushing size.

Bilstein 5100 46MM rear shocks P/N 33-185569 (2x)

superlift bushing kit 77-80038 (2x)

OP
OP
M

MadGumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you very much! I have been looking and looking for this. They don’t list it on their site, which I’m sure is for a reason. But I’ll give them a call and see if they’ll send me what I need

quickfix27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
MadGumby,

I second the recommendation to get the Zone 4" Lift with 3" Rear Coils, and upgrade to Fox Adventure Series or Fox 2.0 Performance Series Rear shocks. If you want to maintain close to your stock rake, and you are happy with your stock ride quality; then you can maintain your OEM front struts; rather than replace them with Bilsteins like many do to level their ride.

I just got my Zone 4" Lift with 3" rear coils and Fox 2.0 and love it! I also wanted to maintain some rake, and opted to get the Bilstein 5100 for my front struts and set them at 0.7". I started with 2.75" rake. I ended up with 1" rake. Had I kept my stock OEM front struts, I would have been closer to 1.7" rake. By keeping your OEM struts, don't think you'll have to mess with your ball joints/UCAs, and save $200 cost of Bilsteins. Though the Bils do seem to ride nice. If you really want the Bils, and don't mind the cost upgrade; I suppose another option is to replace your OEM struts with Bilsteins and set them at ZERO to maintain your desired rake.

You can purchase a complete Zone 4" lift with 3" rear coils and Fox shocks that'll look sweet, ride great and simply reduce your rake by 1" (hardly noticeable). Plus you won't have to mess with your front end to get the look and ride you want. Here's my before/after:

Before_Zone4.jpg
After_Zone4.jpg