Best Tonneau for Rambox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avalnch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newbie here and my first post/question.
What is the best tonneau cover for the Rambox bed? Please send me your experiences and pictures if you have them. How is the factory 3-piece tonneau cover?
Thanks,
Tom

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a '16 Rebel with the Rambox bed. I investigated them all, and know three different guys at church who have three different types (factory hard, aftermarket hard tri-fold, and after market soft). And they have two things in common, they leak and the're easy to break into. So if you're intent is to keep things dry and secure, a tonneau isn't the answer, unless you get one of those one-piece diamond-plate steel covers. I opted to keep my bed open, and when I need secure, dry transport, I rent a u-haul trailer.

That being said, if you can take a little dampness, and just want to get some stuff from point A to point B without blowing out of the bed, the after-market tri-folds are less expensive than the factory hard cover, and can't be broken into with just a pocket knife, like the soft covers. You need at least a large sturdy screwdriver to gain access to the bed with the hard-covers.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had the soft rollup agri cover on my 1500. It was great and well priced. Still have it in the shed (looks great, I'll sell it cheap). When i went to my 2500 i got the bak hard rolling cover. Its fine, but big gaps in the corner. Easy to pop open, and expensive. If i had to do it again i probably would do another agri cover.
I didn't go with a tri fold because it blocks the view out the rear window when it's open all the way.

TMD78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the retractable “gatortrax” on my 2018 and just ordered the RetraxOne MX for the 2019. I love them, seem to be made by the same company, but you do lose some space near the cab for the canister and like all rambox tonneau covers from my research, it does leak near the tailgate. Looks great and works well for me as the dampness is really only an issue when I go through the car wash.

ViperJeff

USAF 421st Black Widows
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don’t have the ram box, however, I use the back flip. And unlike a previous post, very little if ever does it leak. And yes, anything can be broken into, however, a cover keeps the opportunist moving on.

Gulfmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Crew cab with Ram box
Engine
Cummins
I will let you know soon about the BAKFlip for rambox. Mine is on its way and will be installed soon. My frind has a BAKFlip on his non rambox and it is solid and dry.
I researched many, had many types. The thing I like about the BAKFlip is you can open it 1/3, 2/3 or fully store against back window for whole bed access.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know if we can help. We offer many brands and discounts to the members here

what type of cover are you looking for. I personally like the hard folding covers. they are the most secure, IMO best looking, and I like their easy functionality as well

TylerHusted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I had the soft rollup agri cover on my 1500. It was great and well priced. Still have it in the shed (looks great, I'll sell it cheap). When i went to my 2500 i got the bak hard rolling cover. Its fine, but big gaps in the corner. Easy to pop open, and expensive. If i had to do it again i probably would do another agri cover.
I didn't go with a tri fold because it blocks the view out the rear window when it's open all the way.
Sent you a PM

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I've have the Bakflip VP and BakFlip Fiber MAX) on my 4th GEN. I'd by the VP for my 5th GEN if they still made them. Looked great with the RamBoxes, easy to use, kept everything dry, strong enough to walk on, and fairly secure (just gotta know where to slide under to open, as secure as many home safes). No damage or issues with use in -40c, but a few times the rubber seal froze to the tailgate so I needed to pry it off to open the tailgate.
I don't like the look of the Fiber MAX with the RamBox, but didn't have any issues with it.
Biggest down side is loosing rear visibility if you don't remove it when opened, and needing to align again if you do remove it.
I'm thinking of trying a rolling aluminum like the BAK Revolver X4, but worry about snow.

Last edited: