Big 3 upgrade adds power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just put some wire together and installed my big 3 upgrade. Today I went for a ride and it felt like there was a very noticeable increase in power. Truck just pulls harder and smoother now... Is this just in my head or does the big 3 upgrade actually help with performance?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hunt around on RamforumZ from a few years ago,there's a whole article on the wiring upgrade with guys claiming an increase in milege and power. I've done the big 3 on my last 2 trucks,can't say as I noticed that much of an increase in either power or milege,but I do figure the heater works better on both trucks,and on my 14 Sport when it was brand new,i had issues with the tailgate not unlocking or locking properly,after the wiring upgrade,i've never had any issues with the tailgate since.I did run a ground from the back of the box to the frame on this truck.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm reading up .. claims there should be an additional line from the back of the alternator to the negative battery terminal too... I got more than enough wire!

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you run into additional ground to your throttle body? Seems to be a somewhat common upgrade as well. Although you probably don't need 0 gauge for that haha

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you run into additional ground to your throttle body? Seems to be a somewhat common upgrade as well. Although you probably don't need 0 gauge for that haha

Hmm, no I haven't but might as well, right, lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I ran a ground to both fender grounds/the engine computer/from the engine to frame/from engine to battery/from frame to battery negative/from the rear of the box to the frame,in other words I ran a ground pretty well everywhere you could,probably overkill,but it sure as hell didn't hurt the truck that's for sure. There's a stud just behind the battery that makes a good point to tie your grounds off.I ran a #2 battery cable to the stud from the battery, then ran #6 cables from it for my grounds on the fender and computer.I ran 2 #6 cables from the alternator to the 180amp fused battery connection,if I remember right,i'll have to go look now,lol.Also ran a #6 feed from the fused battery connection to the fuse box in front of the battery.

Last edited:

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can we please get some PICS and maybe bullet points on how to? To simplify things?