Black ram owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak259

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So how often do you wash or wipe down your truck? This is my first black truck and I think I'm going crazy lol. I don't want to wash or detail spray everytime it rains but I hate a dirty truck. Just afraid the more I touch it the more ill risk getting swirls. I know about all the good cleaning habits ( 2 buckets, micros, etc). Just thought I'd see what everyone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have had no problems with using one bucket and a hose but I wash it as needed. When the pollen is thick like it is now it's several times a week.

Sent from this thing in my hand

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keeping black paint perfect is darn near impossible in my opinion. I wash mine a lot because I hate riding in a dirty vehicle. I use one bucket, but I rinse the micRoFiber cloth really well before I wipe my truck down. And dry with a chamois. One thing I and don't do is apply a lot of pressure on the rag. I try to let it glide across the paint. The truth of the matter is unless you don't drive your truck and just leave it covered, you will get imperfections.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

Surf City Garage

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Black Paint....Perfection that's a moving target! Staying on top of it, using good wash media, two buckets when you are doing a water wash, good microfiber...all of those certainly help to not induce damage to the paint.

Surf City has this really nice product, SCG Professional Rinse Free Wash n Wax. It's perfect for pollen season, when you want to to a wipe down or wash, without having to drag the buckets out.

Don't forget to use the Forum code for your 10% off!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just do the best I can and expect to put it in the shop for a re-clear job in 4 years if I decide to keep it.

e9muzik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Weekly... Its a labor of love. Klasse Glaze makes every wash after that one simple.

BlkExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wash weekly plus use this....

Lucas Slick Mist Speed Wax

Quigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
During the work week (ten days for me) I'll hit the car wash and spray it off as needed, then I give it a good hand wash on my weekend off.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The biggest question is how much time/effort/money do you want to put into the truck? My first truck got a weekly wash at the local self-wash bays and it looked alright but after 4 years was definitely swirled; the second truck got a weekly wash at the local self-wash bays with a 6-month glaze and monthly waxing; my new truck gets a 2-bucket wash at the local wash bay, 6-month glaze, strip and power polish as required, and 3 coats of wax every month in warm weather, so 6 months of the year.

You don't need to re-clear coat the vehicle to get rid of swirles, an orbital polisher and polish is more than sufficient to remove major swirles and you can easily do major corrections 4-6 times before you're getting thin on the clearcoat.

To keep it clean during the week I use spray detailer and high quality waffle weave towels. The rag company is the best price I've ever found for towels and free shipping over $50 or Fridays makes it a lot more affordable.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get them re-cleared to upgrade the paint job, not just remove swirls. My shop will wet sand the orange peel out and re-clear with a much better product than factory for not that much money. About $2000-$2,500. Usually 3-4 coats wet sanded between. Whatever they use always seems much harder than factory paint. Done it on several vehicles. Swirl marks almost never seem to happen even several years after they do it.

Not to mention there are usually 4 years worth of little nicks and such that get taken out in the process……..

Last edited:

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh boy don't get me started on washing. The bucket is hopefully coming out today. Picked up a Turtle Wax Black Box that I'm gonna try out too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
This is my 3rd black vehicle I have had. It's beautiful when clean but with in hours you see the dust on it. I wash mine once to twice a week depending on the rain. I use one bucket but I always clean it out after ever use and rinse it out before I use it. I have a microfiber for the paint a sponge for the wheels exhaust and wheel wells. And I have a dedicated microfiber pad for stubborn bugs. I always wash top to bottom to minimize dirtying up the bucket right off the start. I also clay bar and wax every few months. If I have time I also use quick detailer. And most important never run a drying cloth or shammy cloth over a dry surface make sure it's wet, I spray a mist of water on the truck multiple times during the drying process. I even have a squirt bottle of straight water.