Black Widow all show?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Putinhuilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Anyone have experience with a Black Widow HD package (Ram 2500) off road? I‘m about to purchase a 2500 with one of these packages. The one I’m looking at has 37” tires on their proprietary 22” wheels. I decided to call the company to ask about tires, wheels and airing down. I couldn’t believe what I heard from their “expert”…basically was told, that their package makes your Ram 2500 into a pavement princess meant to, and I quote…”go on a dirt driveway, occasionally“. I have a stock 2500 for years, and regularly frequent level 4/5 out of 10 trails on On-X, and am very happy with performance. I run 17“ wheels with 32” tires with an Alu-Cab topper. I typically air down from 75 to 40 psi, this works great for me.

Any advice? Should I pass on the black widow?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are show trucks mostly. 22” wheels are definitely not first choice for off-roading. Idk what their shock package is. I saw a gmc 1500 and it was just a spacer style lift. I would look into a power wagon or just throw on a Thuren or Carli setup

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ yeah what he said.
If your looking to take the truck to off-road trails then your better off making the mods yourself.
There's a few members on the forum that take PowerWagons way off-road, be sure to check out the forum section: https://www.ramforum.com/forums/dodge-ram-power-wagon.73/

OP
OP
P

Putinhuilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
Thanks for the replies. They sure advertise rhem as off road machines. The one I’m looking at has fox shocks.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can go with a regular trim and add better performing parts for cheaper than the black widow package. That being said, if you are looking for a slightly more capable option than stock and like the way they look, its a decent option. If you need a much better off roading set up than stock, pass on it.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Anyone have experience with a Black Widow HD package (Ram 2500) off road? I‘m about to purchase a 2500 with one of these packages. The one I’m looking at has 37” tires on their proprietary 22” wheels. I decided to call the company to ask about tires, wheels and airing down. I couldn’t believe what I heard from their “expert”…basically was told, that their package makes your Ram 2500 into a pavement princess meant to, and I quote…”go on a dirt driveway, occasionally“. I have a stock 2500 for years, and regularly frequent level 4/5 out of 10 trails on On-X, and am very happy with performance. I run 17“ wheels with 32” tires with an Alu-Cab topper. I typically air down from 75 to 40 psi, this works great for me.

Any advice? Should I pass on the black widow?
I wouldn’t touch a black widow truck with a 10 foot pole.

For the money you’ll save it’s very simple to get the appearance and even improve the ride unlike black widows cookie cutter trucks

OP
OP
P

Putinhuilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
I hear you…I passed on the black widow and got a stock diesel 2500. Any recommendations? I prefer a smooth ride at moderate speeds and to be able to go over reasonable obstacles. My prior truck was a totally stock hemi with the original blistine shocks it came with on 32” tires. I was able to go on On-X up to 4 rated trails with an Alu-cab topper installed, without real complaints. Would like to push 5-6 ratings and with a smoother more comfortable ride and up to a 3” lift.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I hear you…I passed on the black widow and got a stock diesel 2500. Any recommendations? I prefer a smooth ride at moderate speeds and to be able to go over reasonable obstacles. My prior truck was a totally stock hemi with the original blistine shocks it came with on 32” tires. I was able to go on On-X up to 4 rated trails with an Alu-cab topper installed, without real complaints. Would like to push 5-6 ratings and with a smoother more comfortable ride and up to a 3” lift.
Diesel you have a lot of options but @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with a thuren kit that is one of the best for softer ride

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
E-mail Thuren Fabrication and tell them what you want to do with the truck,they'll tell you what you need to meet your goals
I did this for my 2012 7 years ago and I love how everything works so well together
I do everything with my truck from high speed dirt roads to rock crawling in Moab and Sand Hollow State Park in Utah
I have just over 100k on this suspension so far with just maintenance items needing replacing

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like ICON and Thuren for the 2500's. Both will ride and perform better than stock. Message me if you would like a quote

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know a guy that is a salesman here for black widow settups.
I believe the markup is insane from a dealer here with that on it.
He always told me you would be better off just putting your own stuff on for way cheaper...I've seen the widow stuff with the badge on dodge and chevy brands here runnin around.cant recall a ford.