Blacked out grille inserts and emblems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure why I waited so long to plastidip these. Pretty simple to do. 3 to 4 coats. I liked the way this turned out. Definitely cheaper then buying a new grill. Might even keep this grill for alot longer now.

20200727_095053.jpg

20200727_092725.jpg

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How did you prep the plastic? That is my biggest concern with painting or even Plasti dipping the plastic

sent from a device using an app

OP
OP
N

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How did you prep the plastic? That is my biggest concern with painting or even Plasti dipping the plastic

So I cleaned it with a degreaser that I use on the engine. Then made sure it was dry. No issues with it sticking whatsoever. Just need to put on 3-4 even coats. If you take the grill off the car and remove the horizontal chrome slats, hang them when you paint. You will get a better spray when the can is vertical. The emblems were easy enough to just tape off and paint while on the car. Took me all of an hour to tape them, put on a coat, wait 20 mins in between, and put on another coat.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Looks good...

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I cleaned it with a degreaser that I use on the engine. Then made sure it was dry. No issues with it sticking whatsoever. Just need to put on 3-4 even coats. If you take the grill off the car and remove the horizontal chrome slats, hang them when you paint. You will get a better spray when the can is vertical. The emblems were easy enough to just tape off and paint while on the car. Took me all of an hour to tape them, put on a coat, wait 20 mins in between, and put on another coat.
That is kind of what I was thinking. Thanks

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That looks really good with the matte finish of the emblems and grille contrasting against the gloss of the truck.

I went with the Mopar black emblems on my 2015. They are a different shade of black than my truck and it annoys me. Its close enough to where they don't stand out like the chrome emblems but they don't match exactly. Damn OCD. Plus they were expensive for what they are.

Since I have an Express, it has the black honeycomb (Sport) grille. I like the style of the horizontal bars but not the chrome. Yours looks great!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plastidip didn't last on my grille when I did it.
Same with the antenna which I need to pull off clean and reapply or paint.

grinder1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lil secret..... ford f150 antenna is already black and threads in...

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will help some of us sport owners get a black grille if what I have read is true . What I read was if you have the shutters behind the grille as I do that the black honeycomb type of grille can't be used without removing the shutters. True or false I can't say . It was not important enough for me to investigate further