Blew my motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Well blew up my 14 ed last night. Looks like the oil pan gasket went and I didn’t get it shut down in time. Anyone ever had this happen? Will talk to the dealership tomorrow but good news is it’s still under warranty.

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
Yes several hundred people on this forum have had the same problem!! ............... Ram1500Diesel.com is the largest RAM 1500 Diesel forum community on the web with discussions on 2014+ Ram EcoDiesel trucks.

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Yes several hundred people on this forum have had the same problem!! ............... Ram1500Diesel.com is the largest RAM 1500 Diesel forum community on the web with discussions on 2014+ Ram EcoDiesel trucks.
Yea I’ve seen a lot of guys having issues with blowing the motors due to a failing egr cooler. Just couldn’t find anyone talking about an oil pan gasket blowing out. Wondering if I had a ring failure or blew a hole in a piston? Seems like too much pressure in the bottom end if you blow that pan gasket.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Seems like too much pressure in the bottom end if you blow that pan gasket.
Your saying the oil pan gasket blew out? That would definitely be a first I've heard of. Are you sure the pan and lower part of the block is still intact? I've heard of parts of the lower rotating assembly deciding it no longer wants to be within the engine and escaping but not just a pan gasket letting go

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Your saying the oil pan gasket blew out? That would definitely be a first I've heard of. Are you sure the pan and lower part of the block is still intact? I've heard of parts of the lower rotating assembly deciding it no longer wants to be within the engine and escaping but not just a pan gasket letting go
I’m only guessing at the gasket. Both sides of the lower motor portion are all wet with oil. Egr cooler and top sides of motor are still clean. There was a couple seconds of harsh grinding and metal on metal noise then it abruptly shut down. Flashed low oil pressure real quick before the grinding noise but no check engine lights or anything is on the dash or in the stored messages.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the crankcase got full of exhaust gas and ignited causing the gasket to blow out, no warning before this happened WOW.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Well blew up my 14 ed last night. Looks like the oil pan gasket went and I didn’t get it shut down in time. Anyone ever had this happen? Will talk to the dealership tomorrow but good news is it’s still under warranty.

How many miles does your truck have?

OP
OP
Bender02

Bender02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Update!

just heard from the dealership. Turns out that I had a piston come apart and put a rod through the block.

CE265E71-BB28-42E6-A48E-BCF09E57CFD8.jpeg