Body to Frame Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just wondering about issues with removal of cab to frame bolts, if you ever removed them. My 2000 rockers are so shot and my side steps tore them up. I want to replace them with a 3" nerf bar type of step. These will mount to the frame between the cab to frame bolt areas. I am wondering if the bolts, which would need to be removed, are captured or not; (meaning completely submerged and not having threads exposed). If they are sealed off, I think I will order the bars, if exposed to rust for 23 years, I anticipate either breaking a bolt off or a mounting tab or something worse. I saw years ago a type of bar that clamped around the frame so no drilling was needed, but I can't find any like that anymore. If you get a minute, let me know if you could.
Thanks

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you asking about side steps that mount to body bolts? Mine mount to body bolts and the factory studs. The Body bolt threads are not exposed. At least I can't see them.

Screenshot_20230722_212417_DuckDuckGo.jpg

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure they would work on your year though. Sorry.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
neither my 2009 or the 2016 Rams nerf bars bolt to the frame
My nerf bars are modified, imagine 3 steps, all like the front step
2 were cut off & one long step replaced it
The long one suits my needs better

1690082880618.png
front mount

1690083050268.png
Center mount
1690083203729.png
rear pix seems to be missing

1690084323628.png

I know some people have rust along the mounting area
But, a person could buy 2 long 1/4" thick steel bars, that are about 2" wide
Those long flat steel bars, could be mounted to the trucks mounting area & the nerf bars could be mounted to the bar.
If, the rust is not too bad, that should gave you plenty of support

Other wise, a person could pay a welder to make brackets, that bolt to the trucks FRAME

Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
multimopes

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TADAAAAA,
I am very happy to report that I got the job done! Got a set of Nerf Bares from Aries. BUT, before doing so, I slathered a bunch of penetrating oil with "Deep Creep" in it all around & on top of the cab to frame bolts, wherever I could reach, & let it sit a few days. Then I used a 1/2" breaker bar with a 2 foot pipe helper on it. All 4 were loosened before I ordered the bars. Easy installation after that! I am happy as a pig in sh_t! :p