Brake caliper question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
you can always use an old pad against the piston when pushing it in. It is right there, no hunting something else. Opening the bleeder does make it much easier to push the piston back and no bleeding unless you leave it open once you have the piston pushed back and ask of the fluid leaks out.

I’ll do that if the pads are being replaced. If I’m just doing a service I’ll find something else so I don’t damage the pad.

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone has said the same thing basically. Before I ever remove anything I use a large C Clamp and place it over the top of the caliper. The stationary end of the clamp goes on the back of the caliper and the screw part goes on the wheel side brake pad. On our trucks you will have to move the clamp from one “U” on the right side of the caliper to the “U” on the left side. Tighten the clamp slow and easy on both sides until you’re confident that the pistons have be pressed back into the caliper. Make sure that the screw part of the clamp is on the pad not the caliper on the wheel side. Once you’ve done that remove your caliper bolts and it should left right off without prying.