Brake Controller Install Help 2005 Ram 1500 SLT with Factory 4-Pin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up a 2005 Ram 1500 SLT that came with a factory 4-pin. In the years following one of the previous owners had installed a 7-Pin connector which at this point looks like it just patched into the 4-pin. I have been busy with bodywork to get it safety certified, but now that I am finished with that, I need to get my brake controller moved over from my other truck. I am hoping to get time to look more carefully to see if maybe someone had installed a brake controller in the past. My question is, did the trucks with a factory 4-pin have any of the wiring for the brake controller? If so, what?

Any other help would be appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just picked up a 2005 Ram 1500 SLT that came with a factory 4-pin. In the years following one of the previous owners had installed a 7-Pin connector which at this point looks like it just patched into the 4-pin. I have been busy with bodywork to get it safety certified, but now that I am finished with that, I need to get my brake controller moved over from my other truck. I am hoping to get time to look more carefully to see if maybe someone had installed a brake controller in the past. My question is, did the trucks with a factory 4-pin have any of the wiring for the brake controller? If so, what?

Any other help would be appreciated.
To see if your truck is equipped with the factory brake controller wiring harness look under the instrument panel to the left of the brake pedal. You will see a large white, rectangle plug with a 10mm bolt in the middle of it. If you have the factory brake controller wiring you should see a blue connector taped up on to the harness near that large rectangle plug.

Now, for trucks that are equipped with a 4-pin connector for the trailer, most of these trucks do not have the wiring all the way to the rear of the truck for trailer brakes.

If you have the blue connector under the instrument panel then the truck is already wired to the rear for trailer brakes. If you don't find the blue plug then the truck is not wired from the factory for trailer brakes.

If you are going to install the wiring harness for trailer brakes I highly recommend a full plug-n-play setup instead of splicing wires.

This is the kit I would buy...

It is a factory Mopar 7-way harness for our trucks.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. There is a blue plug, so I am at least partly on the way. Time to get the pigtail and do the wiring.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks. There is a blue plug, so I am at least partly on the way. Time to get the pigtail and do the wiring.
Now that we know you have the blue pigtail under the instrument panel, take a look at the rear wiring near the 4-way connector and see if you see a large, rectangle connector. If so, you can purchase just the 7-way jumper connector and then purchase a 7-way connector to mount in the bumper. That way it will all be plug-n-play.