Brake pad rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wondering if anyone else has experienced brake pad rattle when hitting road imperfections. Hoping someone else has had this issue. Has Wagner pads on it now. I have messed with clips and it stopped the rattle for a day. I’m about to put mopar pads back on it hoping it stops the issue

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never in my life have I seen brake pads fit loosely enough to hear them rattle going down the road. They're kept so close to the rotors and should have a light coating of brake grease at the contact points that there should be nothing to hear.

OP
OP
J

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me either. I bought the truck with these pads. If I ride the brakes the noise goes away. They seem like they fit correctly when I had them apart.

OP
OP
J

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I bought the truck with 48k miles and it has 61k on it now. All the brakes/rotor were replaced by the dealership before purchase

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How do you know it is brake pad rattle and not something else? Bottom line if brake pads are rattling you should be able to duplicate where it is loose with the wheels off.

OP
OP
J

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I originally thought it was sway bar links but they were tight. All ball joints,tie rods, and and other part was good. You can hear it coming from the wheel area with the window down. I can go over the same stretch of road and they clatter. Same stretch slight pressure on the brakes and it’s quiet. Leading me to believe it’s something brake related. Checked caliper bolts and slide pins all were good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did they do wheel bearing with the brake job?

OP
OP
J

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not sure. I could tell the brakes were new and they gave me paperwork for them when I bought the truck. The wheel bearings are both good. No play at all. It goes in next week to get a new manifold/bolts. Might just have the dealership check the front out when it’s there.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like wrong/missing pad clips, or the caliper has a frozen piston not allowing it to push on the pads.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bent my clips and now i get a brake clunk when i touch the brakes.

OP
OP
J

J2theD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to follow up. I replaced my pads and the rattle is gone. Some of my clips were bent compared to the new ones.