Brakepedal issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConnieG4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8
My 94 ram 1500 just developed a problem with the brake pedal not returning to the full up position. After I apply the brakes then release them and remove my foot the pedal does not return to the original not in use position. I have to use my toes under the pedal and lift at that point the pedal pops free and returns to the correct position to where it can touch the brake light switch. I looked at where the pedal arm and a push rod connect and that hinge point is fine. Do I need to remove my master cylinder and see if something binding up or snagging the push rod in there?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I believe there is a piston return spring in the master cylinder, could be a problem. Also check that your pivot points for the brake pedal and piston are not rusted. Finally, are your brakes spongy, could be a leak somewhere but that generally won't be the reason for the non-return.