Brakes jump or lurch or one hard pulse when coming to a slow stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jodman012000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I'm braking normal to gently, my brakes give one moderately hard lurch or pulse just before stopping. This happens when they're cold or wet. Once I've been riding around it goes away. Dealer checked and said everything was safe and normal. I noticed it doesn't do it when I brake hard. 2016 Big Horn Crew Cab, 41,000 miles.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So if I'm braking normal to gently, my brakes give one moderately hard lurch or pulse just before stopping. This happens when they're cold or wet. Once I've been riding around it goes away. Dealer checked and said everything was safe and normal. I noticed it doesn't do it when I brake hard. 2016 Big Horn Crew Cab, 41,000 miles.
Convince a dealer mechanic to ride with you and maybe the brake issue will be heard or felt

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi Jodman012000,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer again, please let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Toolman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue, it's when the transmission downshifts from 2 to 1. There have been other threads on this where people have had transmissions and driveshafts replaced (under warranty) to get rid of it. Some trucks do it, some don't. I'm not sure it's a reliability issue, but it is definitely annoying. I have 1000 miles left on warranty, I'll be pushing my dealer to get it fixed.

OP
OP
Jodman012000

Jodman012000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Jodman012000,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer again, please let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Thank you. Do you have an email that I can contact you at? I never thought of the transmission.

OP
OP
Jodman012000

Jodman012000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue, it's when the transmission downshifts from 2 to 1. There have been other threads on this where people have had transmissions and driveshafts replaced (under warranty) to get rid of it. Some trucks do it, some don't. I'm not sure it's a reliability issue, but it is definitely annoying. I have 1000 miles left on warranty, I'll be pushing my dealer to get it fixed.

Hey, thanks! I never thought of the trans. Dealer said they took if for a ride, but didn't experience anything, of course. I'll continue to monitor. Thankfully I have an extended warranty.

Toolman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took me a while to realize it happens at a shift point, the RPM's don't change much so it hides itself pretty well.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem, especially after they did a transmission module flash.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hey Toolman,

If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while working with your dealer on this, please do not hesitate to send us a PM. We are more than happy to escalate a case for you.

Thank you. Do you have an email that I can contact you at? I never thought of the transmission.

Hi Jodman012000,

Please know that you may submit your information via the following form to receive a follow up via email: https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/emailpage.html

Mark
RamCares

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its most likely the transmission.

I have the same issue still, even after the dealer replaced the valve body (didn't solve the issue) and then i had the tranny replaced, and re-flashed.

It kinda of went away for a few weeks, but the bump-stop came right back. I'm bringing it back in for service in a few weeks. If the issue can't be fixed, i will be trading the truck in.

I have read the main culprit most likely is the driveshaft, either binding or signs of "chatter" marks on the splines. More often then not, this is with the two piece drive shaft. I have the one piece, so most likely i'm outta luck with any fix in sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357