Brand new 2023 Limited catastrophic transmission failure at 1200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrei20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I did not, and I specifically asked them if it was a brand new transmission going in the truck and they told me it was. On top of all that they never replaced the hoses they never replace the cooler. All of that is contaminated.. and it states in the work order that they did…… Stellantis is blowing me off

I did not, and I specifically asked them if it was a brand new transmission going in the truck and they told me it was. On top of all that they never replaced the hoses they never replace the cooler. All of that is contaminated.. and it states in the work order that they did…… Stellantis is blowing me off!
Hello.
I wouldn't be worried that much about the cooler being contaminated. Even if it is, it's not that much, and all the particles will return back to the sump, where, before the oil gets sucked in by the pump, the particles will be caught by the filter on the suction side. And slowly with time your cooler will get flushed. One thing what I would do, is get the dealership to do an oil+filter change about 1000-2000 miles after the "new" transmission install. Then another one about 5 thousand after, mostly to inspect the magnets and confirm that everything is ok, that's all. And also ask for the transmission to be covered by warranty 100% same as the rest of the truck.
Yes, it's a bit unpleasant to have a remanufactured transmission on a $100+ thousand truck, but also let's remember how many people rebuild their burnt transmissions with just a rebuild kit in their garages and live happily ever after.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Would something as simple as a letter of intent from a Legal person do anything ??

Like, will Ram include the remanufactured transmission in the Factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Whatever that warranty is now, like 3 years or X amount of mileage.

If they accept that, then you can buy the Mopar Extended Warranty for X amount of years or miles

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a heavy equipment mechanic, I rebuilt hundreds of Allison, Cat, and even some Funkamatics. Always replaced all bearings, seals and anything that showed the slightest wear. Can not recall any "comebacks".
That said, the quality of the rebuild depends on who did it. Some rebuilders do a much better job than others. More than likely, Stellantis doesn't do their own rebuilding. Even ZF might farm out their repairs. As with all businesses, some are better than others.
With your low mileage they should have gotten you a new one and maybe a different dealer would have accomplished that.
Personally, I'm sick of this whole "supply chain" excuse being used universally for everything that goes wrong. Most issues a more than likely rooted in greed.

Greek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Drive till warranty out on transmission then trade it on Another truck sorry for your luck.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I for one would never accept a "rebuild" in a 1500 mile truck and you stated that they also replaced the transfer case.. wonder why?
I would contact Stalanses customer service, not RAM Cares, and explain the situation. If they can't or wont help my next call would be to a reputable attorney.. New truck, used parts=NFW..

ifrroadguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just got my truck back from the dealership I bought in early July I had to truck two weeks and I started experience harsh shifts and slamming into gear on cold starts. Followed checking light line pressure codes . Took it to the dealership the first time they could not duplicate problem return the truck to me. Same day after I got home. Once the truck cool down, it did the same thing through the same code made another appointment and they then confirmed that the transmission was bad and it had metal shavings inside the pump went bad. The truck literally has 1525 miles on it. It is less than a month old and they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission and transfer case ,They say they changed out the cooler with the lines, but they did not. I don’t know what to do. I do not want the truck at this point. It’s been nothing but a headache. What are my options? Has anybody experienced any of this? Any help is greatly appreciated.. I now have a brand new $100k truck with used parts in it basically that remanufactured transmission that could have had 200,000 miles on it b4 getting rebuilt That should’ve been a brand new transmission in that truck.
IDK if you have your truck repaired to your satisfaction yet, but there is a thread on Cummins Forum dealing with Aisin transmission failure of the K1 clutch drum Snap Ring. From your description of failure mode, IDK if your situation is the same but mbarber84 assembled a spreadsheet of trucks affected totaling more than 300 vehicles, mostly built during the latter half of 2022. Perhaps this avenue will lead to a solution for you.

I thought I'd seen a comment here about it, but could not spot it so added it now. Sorry for your frustration but be calm and persistent and it will work out to your satisfaction!

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
"USED" Transmission? "REBIULT" Transmission, Or "REMANFACTURED" transmission. All are different! Cooler and hoses do not "NEED" replacement if there is no DAMAGE to them. But most warranties will state that THEY MUST BE FLUSHED. That is what clears the internals of those parts from putting "DEBRIS" back into the "REPLACEMENT" transmission and components. And you CAN NOT "FLUSH" with compressed air. you need a component (liquid) that will hole those particles in suspension and carry them out.

Last edited:

buffalodiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Well
Setllantis is laying off/ firing about 33,000 workers / to produce EVs. Lots are over flowing with $80,000.oo dollar jeeps "junk". You are going to have to get "serious" sorry to say. Do you live in a "lemon Law" state....? OK.. in a sense they got you over a barrel since it appears that you agreed to a " god knows" where the %ell they got that transmission. Who rebuilt it..? I bet some grease monkey at a private garage. Dealers are ****. Too bad you did not scream for a loaner ..... until they found a NEW replacement. I recommend start the Lemon Law paperwork .... to get their attention. Dealer's a **** and know they are in the driver's seat. Suggest that you will be posting this "shafting" on google and tick tock and all the automotive FACE Book dodge sights... THERE ARE PLENTY.... SAD THING IS.... regardless of the over priced junk bodies the tick tack gas engines in their trucks... It appears that they are still able to sell .... way over priced eFin junk....that if they did not have a cummins option. Why would anyone pay $80,000.oo plus for those rust buckets. SO just posting on this site..... is a waste of time... their are dozens and dozens of RAM sights on FaceBook.... Make that dealer feel the pain. Just relay your story... how they screwed you. Do not fib.... Then they cannot sue you for telling the truth. //// Get that LEMON LAW paper work going.

Hellcatsrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every states lemon laws are different. Here in Michigan however Chrysler did buy back my new grand cherokee back in 1998. But all the repeat issues etc had to happen within the first year of ownership. As mentioned previously do some serious reading on it and you might need to file a lemon law claim early so you dont get shut out. You can always drop the claim later.
But best thing you can do is spend some time online reading the fine print of your states lemon law. I lost a case on my 2006 Cadillac because I failed to notify them of my intention of bringing in the evidence, a CD showing the issue. Hence, the administrative judge would not let me enter it as evidence. However, upon hearing the case she ruled in my favor....but then the fine print came back and bit me in the ass. I had failed to show any financial loss in my claim so she dismissed the case.
Its all in the details my friend....

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
but I will never buy another ram/Chrysler product after this the customer service is absolutely horrible.
I see this comment made many times and I'm with you, I feel the pain. But it was "horrible customer service" that pushed me away from Ford to GM. And then again, horrible customer service from GM that pushed me to a RAM in 2013. So far so good albeit I had to go through three dealers before I found a good one to work with.

The lemon laws are different in every state, if I were you I would look up your state's lemon laws to see what your position is. I had a similar event back in 2003 with a brand new Yukon XL, Michigan's lemon laws put me in the driver's seat and I was able to force a buyback and took an option to have the truck replaced.