Brand new 2023 Limited catastrophic transmission failure at 1200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got my truck back from the dealership I bought in early July I had to truck two weeks and I started experience harsh shifts and slamming into gear on cold starts. Followed checking light line pressure codes . Took it to the dealership the first time they could not duplicate problem return the truck to me. Same day after I got home. Once the truck cool down, it did the same thing through the same code made another appointment and they then confirmed that the transmission was bad and it had metal shavings inside the pump went bad. The truck literally has 1525 miles on it. It is less than a month old and they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission and transfer case ,They say they changed out the cooler with the lines, but they did not. I don’t know what to do. I do not want the truck at this point. It’s been nothing but a headache. What are my options? Has anybody experienced any of this? Any help is greatly appreciated.. I now have a brand new $100k truck with used parts in it basically that remanufactured transmission that could have had 200,000 miles on it b4 getting rebuilt That should’ve been a brand new transmission in that truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 69

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Since you don't want the truck, I'll come pick it up since it's not worth anything with a remanufactured transmission in it :anitoof:
Given the supply chain issues nowadays you probably would have waited many months for a new transmission

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Had my transmission replaced in May, ended up going with a Jasper as could not get an OEM one (remanufactured or otherwise). Yes mine's a 2012, 6 speed. But there there was one there with a similar story as yours and they had it for 4 months at that point as the owner was insisting on a new OEM, and the dealership has no idea when they would be able to get him one.

They should have been able to give you some type of warranty on, so I'd drive it until the warranty is up, then is you still aren't happy with it, or worried about it given out, trade it off then. Figure I got three years with mine, then it's gone (warranty was 36 months or 100K miles).

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
No problem bud 100k it’s yours . Promise dodge will be replacing or buying it back. Attorney’s getting called in the morning.
@Redcoupe92 I know some folks will disagree with me on this and say a reman is as good as brand new but imho if the tranny had went out on me when i finally got my new 2020 at only 1200 miles, theres no way in hell they would be putting a reman on my truck. They could put a zero mile tranny in it within 6 weeks, or buy it back, if neither was an option for them then I'd tell em they can talk to my lawyer in the morning. No way am I paying 80k-100k for a brand spanking new truck then getting a rebuilt major part stuck in it , nope and hell nope, not this dude.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I sympathize with your situation and agree that a previously used part was put into a way expensive truck I gotta ask…..did you agree to the repair? If the dealer just did the repair without your consent that’s actionable but if they informed you about what they were going to do and you agreed to it I doubt your attorney will have much to work with.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I sympathize with your situation and agree that a previously used part was put into a way expensive truck I gotta ask…..did you agree to the repair? If the dealer just did the repair without your consent that’s actionable but if they informed you about what they were going to do and you agreed to it I doubt your attorney will have much to work with.

I did not, and I specifically asked them if it was a brand new transmission going in the truck and they told me it was. On top of all that they never replaced the hoses they never replace the cooler. All of that is contaminated.. and it states in the work order that they did…… Stellantis is blowing me off!

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had my transmission replaced in May, ended up going with a Jasper as could not get an OEM one (remanufactured or otherwise). Yes mine's a 2012, 6 speed. But there there was one there with a similar story as yours and they had it for 4 months at that point as the owner was insisting on a new OEM, and the dealership has no idea when they would be able to get him one.

They should have been able to give you some type of warranty on, so I'd drive it until the warranty is up, then is you still aren't happy with it, or worried about it given out, trade it off then. Figure I got three years with mine, then it's gone (warranty was 36 months or 100K miles).

Why should I let them off that easy that’s a lot of money Spent to have rebuilt/used transmission in a brand new truck. Unacceptable….. on multiple levels. Especially with the way they’re handling this whole situation. They don’t care they got the money. They sold the truck. That’s all they gave a **** about.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Based on what I read about some of the Aisin trans that were replaced that even though they were new trans being installed the paper work listed them as being remanded trans for some stupid reason, so you need to find out ( aka ask nicely) if it was indeed a reman or if it was new but marked on paperwork as reman trans?

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on what I read about some of the Aisin trans that were replaced that even though they were new trans being installed the paper work listed them as being remanded trans for some stupid reason, so you need to find out ( aka ask nicely) if it was indeed a reman or if it was new but marked on paperwork as reman trans?

Bright orange remanufactured sticker was on the side of the transmission the it’s half spray painted. It looks like it has 200,000 miles on it. Lol look at the over spray on the pan lip …. Unbelievable!!!

Attachments

• 71383682747__AD2A86A5-2E21-4F9E-AF1B-238E4CA95360.jpeg
    71383682747__AD2A86A5-2E21-4F9E-AF1B-238E4CA95360.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 105

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not, and I specifically asked them if it was a brand new transmission going in the truck and they told me it was. On top of all that they never replaced the hoses they never replace the cooler. All of that is contaminated.. and it states in the work order that they did…… Stellantis is blowing me off!
I would have to agree. If the dealer states they replaced parts that were never actually replaced it screams shady business practices and needs to be called out.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you know they didnt replace the other parts? I hope my trans looks that nice at 200k!

****tttttty deal no doubt, hope they make it right for you. Good luck!

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Why should I let them off that easy that’s a lot of money Spent to have rebuilt/used transmission in a brand new truck. Unacceptable….. on multiple levels. Especially with the way they’re handling this whole situation. They don’t care they got the money. They sold the truck. That’s all they gave a **** about.
I support yah brother, and to make matters worse they lied about it being new and that they replaced the hoses and cooler. I don't know if I could keep my cool and handle that professionally, I'm afraid after all the lies I'd be showing my ***. I'd be on that phone all day until I got someone higher up to make things right by you whatever it takes. Man I'm getting pizzed off for you and its not even my truck , lol

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have to agree. If the dealer states they replaced parts that were never actually replaced it screams shady business practices and needs to be called out.
How do you know they didnt replace the other parts? I hope my trans looks that nice at 200k!

****tttttty deal no doubt, hope they make it right for you. Good luck!
A rebuilt transmission only gets what it needs. I’m heavy equipment mechanic for a living..

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A rebuilt transmission only gets what it needs. I’m heavy equipment mechanic for a living..

If you're only replacing what it 'needs' I'm not sure I want your parts.

A properly rebuilt transmission should have all new clutch packs, all new bearings/bushings, all new valve body, all new solenoids/bands/seals/whatever else. The only parts that might not need replaced are gears (though these need to be inspected heavily), shafts (again, inspected for wear/damage), MAYBE the pump (really it should be replaced too), the case and the pan. All fasteners should also be new.

In essence, it IS a brand new transmission, because everything has to perform at 'brand new' specs when it's completed.

To OP's point, if he was told one thing and another happened, then that's an actionable case against the dealer. It also sounds like a ****** dealer and a complaint needs to be filed with Stellantis as well, because that's their reputation on the line.

That said, it is not unheard of for a brand-new vehicle to have issues. It's rare, sure, but not unheard of. Mass-production ensures that it'll happen every now and then. It sucks, but it's luck of the draw on that.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're only replacing what it 'needs' I'm not sure I want your parts.

A properly rebuilt transmission should have all new clutch packs, all new bearings/bushings, all new valve body, all new solenoids/bands/seals/whatever else. The only parts that might not need replaced are gears (though these need to be inspected heavily), shafts (again, inspected for wear/damage), MAYBE the pump (really it should be replaced too), the case and the pan. All fasteners should also be new.

In essence, it IS a brand new transmission, because everything has to perform at 'brand new' specs when it's completed.

To OP's point, if he was told one thing and another happened, then that's an actionable case against the dealer. It also sounds like a ****** dealer and a complaint needs to be filed with Stellantis as well, because that's their reputation on the line.

That said, it is not unheard of for a brand-new vehicle to have issues. It's rare, sure, but not unheard of. Mass-production ensures that it'll happen every now and then. It sucks, but it's luck of the draw on that.

I could agree with you if the truck had like 30,000 miles, and it was at the end of it to warranty to put a remanufactured transmission. But with that truck being brand new 1000 miles on it, it should be a brand new unit going back in there and nothing but….and that’s my point there still parts that get reused when rebuilding . If the major parts are good they will get reused. If that was the case I would’ve bought a used truck.. and I agree with something being brand new and mass produce having issues, but they need to correct it the proper way. Lot of money spent on this truck to have it handled like this.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Word of advice from someone that went through a similar debacle with Ford. Don't tell them you are lawyering up. Just lawyer up and let your lawyer handle all the communication. Once you do they will not talk to you. In fact, that dealer may not talk to you ever again. If you plan on keeping the truck find another dealer for service. If you plan on wanting the truck bought back find another brand to go with.

My F150 went back 4 times for trans issues starting at 2680 miles. They "fixed" it each time. Only, it wasn't fixed. And they refused to replace the transmission. Ford corporate kept closing my customer service cases. Then they finally sent me a letter stating the issues were caused by how I was driving the truck. Transmission was on top of the truck going in to complete limp mode from sucking up condensation that was building up in the intercooler. Took several months with a lawyer for a mediator to rule in my favor to replace the truck. Ford basically black listed me a customer and no dealer would touch the new truck for so much as an oil change. Traded a truck with 600 miles on it for a Ram and been with Ram ever since.

cutabove63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depending on where you live, like in downtown Chicago, there is a law firm that sue's only the big 3. Under the lemon law. They took my case on a older dodge I had I purchased new. I had it in for Brakes 4 or 5 times and they replaced them, rebuilt them, changes parts and it got worse each time. I have to look up the name of the firm. They got all my money back and truck payments as well. I dropped the truck off at a dealer of my choice and gave them the keys. I went to Chrysler downtown chicago and they gave me a check for the whole amount and said they were sorry.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending on where you live, like in downtown Chicago, there is a law firm that sue's only the big 3. Under the lemon law. They took my case on a older dodge I had I purchased new. I had it in for Brakes 4 or 5 times and they replaced them, rebuilt them, changes parts and it got worse each time. I have to look up the name of the firm. They got all my money back and truck payments as well. I dropped the truck off at a dealer of my choice and gave them the keys. I went to Chrysler downtown chicago and they gave me a check for the whole amount and said they were sorry.

If you could find the name of that lawyer, I would appreciate it. After complaining I’m being told that a new transmission will be ordered as well as the cooler and lines . But all is on national back order. My whole problem is if I didn’t catch any of it, they would’ve just let this slide telling me that parts had been replaced that weren’t and I had a rebuilt transmission in the truck That’s brand new not very good customer service… if RAM makes it right I’m good , if not they can have there truck back . Other than this issue I absolutely love the truck.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the reman trans was a Jasper you should get a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. I did when having to replace the 46RE in my 97 1500 4x4 with the 5.9. Only stipulation is the fluid/ filter be changed at first 5,000 miles. My mechanic did purge the lines, cooler and eliminated the drain back valve. That was last October and truck still runs good and shifts loke new.