Brand new 2023 Limited catastrophic transmission failure at 1200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Based on what I read about some of the Aisin trans that were replaced that even though they were new trans being installed the paper work listed them as being remanded trans for some stupid reason, so you need to find out ( aka ask nicely) if it was indeed a reman or if it was new but marked on paperwork as reman trans?
Aisin supplies auto's for Toyota. It's been decades now and I've never heard of an issue.

cutabove63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your interested I found the Law Firm that will assist you on that 100K truck I mentioned in a previous post I did. I recommend them they are very good at what they do.
Since 1995, Krohn & Moss, Ltd. Consumer Law Center® has represented and helped over 50,000 consumers obtain relief for their defective or misrepresented consumer products.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you could find the name of that lawyer, I would appreciate it. After complaining I’m being told that a new transmission will be ordered as well as the cooler and lines . But all is on national back order. My whole problem is if I didn’t catch any of it, they would’ve just let this slide telling me that parts had been replaced that weren’t and I had a rebuilt transmission in the truck That’s brand new not very good customer service… if RAM makes it right I’m good , if not they can have there truck back . Other than this issue I absolutely love the truck.
Were you told this verbally or in an email by the dealership.

Ensure you have this in writing from the dealership that it will be a new transmission and all new cooler and lines, too.

If you get this in writing, then I would drive your truck as is for now as you have confirmation that all new OEM parts will be installed.

Once you are satisfied with this, ask for an email confirmation that all these new parts are in fact on order and in que.

I would then leave it with the dealership, because if you pursue legal after you get confirmation you're playing a dangerous game in my opinion.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Waiting'? Same thing applies to a shop and its techs ;)

Good luck and I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your interested I found the Law Firm that will assist you on that 100K truck I mentioned in a previous post I did. I recommend them they are very good at what they do.
Since 1995, Krohn & Moss, Ltd. Consumer Law Center® has represented and helped over 50,000 consumers obtain relief for their defective or misrepresented consumer products.

Thank you .

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Warranty booklet has language that allows them to "offer" and use reman exchange parts for warranty work. Language is ambiguous whether "offer" means customer buy in or not before proceeding with such repairs.

I suspect due to long lead times for factory new parts and to avoid time out of service clauses for lemon law, they put in the reman stuff to reset the clock and argue the detail after the fact whether new should have gone in the first place new parts.

Get a lawyers but I do not think it will be a slam dunk case to make your truck v!rgin new again with new parts or force a buy back.

Last edited:

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Redcoupe92 I know some folks will disagree with me on this and say a reman is as good as brand new but imho if the tranny had went out on me when i finally got my new 2020 at only 1200 miles, theres no way in hell they would be putting a reman on my truck. They could put a zero mile tranny in it within 6 weeks, or buy it back, if neither was an option for them then I'd tell em they can talk to my lawyer in the morning. No way am I paying 80k-100k for a brand spanking new truck then getting a rebuilt major part stuck in it , nope and hell nope, not this dude.
Keep in mind that the OP had a "new" transmission in the "new" truck and that's what failed. So a reman isn't as bad as it sounds and a new one isn't as good as it sounds. :)

And I know that the "talk to my lawyer" phrase always sounds tough, but have you read what the warranty actually says? Does it say that repairs will be made only with new OEM parts, or does it mention they may replace certain components with remanufactured ones?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be upset if I had a very expensive new truck, then something major failed, and it was replaced with a reman.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind that the OP had a "new" transmission in the "new" truck and that's what failed. So a reman isn't as bad as it sounds and a new one isn't as good as it sounds. :)

And I know that the "talk to my lawyer" phrase always sounds tough, but have you read what the warranty actually says? Does it say that repairs will be made only with new OEM parts, or does it mention they may replace certain components with remanufactured ones?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be upset if I had a very expensive new truck, then something major failed, and it was replaced with a reman.

I wouldn’t be so upset about it but the truck is literally a month old and has 1500 miles on it. It failed at 1200…. My local dealership is trying to make it right it’s just a matter of getting a hold of the parts.. but I will never buy another ram/Chrysler product after this the customer service is absolutely horrible. They don’t care about you want to buy the vehicle.

sherjam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just got my truck back from the dealership I bought in early July I had to truck two weeks and I started experience harsh shifts and slamming into gear on cold starts. Followed checking light line pressure codes . Took it to the dealership the first time they could not duplicate problem return the truck to me. Same day after I got home. Once the truck cool down, it did the same thing through the same code made another appointment and they then confirmed that the transmission was bad and it had metal shavings inside the pump went bad. The truck literally has 1525 miles on it. It is less than a month old and they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission and transfer case ,They say they changed out the cooler with the lines, but they did not. I don’t know what to do. I do not want the truck at this point. It’s been nothing but a headache. What are my options? Has anybody experienced any of this? Any help is greatly appreciated.. I now have a brand new $100k truck with used parts in it basically that remanufactured transmission that could have had 200,000 miles on it b4 getting rebuilt That should’ve been a brand new transmission in that truck.

sherjam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just got my truck back from the dealership I bought in early July I had to truck two weeks and I started experience harsh shifts and slamming into gear on cold starts. Followed checking light line pressure codes . Took it to the dealership the first time they could not duplicate problem return the truck to me. Same day after I got home. Once the truck cool down, it did the same thing through the same code made another appointment and they then confirmed that the transmission was bad and it had metal shavings inside the pump went bad. The truck literally has 1525 miles on it. It is less than a month old and they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission and transfer case ,They say they changed out the cooler with the lines, but they did not. I don’t know what to do. I do not want the truck at this point. It’s been nothing but a headache. What are my options? Has anybody experienced any of this? Any help is greatly appreciated.. I now have a brand new $100k truck with used parts in it basically that remanufactured transmission that could have had 200,000 miles on it b4 getting rebuilt That should’ve been a brand new transmission in that truck.
Well, the bad news they just voided your warranty. Get a lawyer, join RamCares on this forum. As one said, this is a supply chain issue, with 1200 miles don’t settle for substandard. Your are entitled as a consumer to new parts on a new truck under warranty.

sherjam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
RamCares is a seasoned resource. Reach out to them, stay in touch and let us know the outcome.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the bad news they just voided your warranty. Get a lawyer, join RamCares on this forum. As one said, this is a supply chain issue, with 1200 miles don’t settle for substandard. Your are entitled as a consumer to new parts on a new truck under warranty.
That’s why the dealership said they replaced the cooler and the lines still 100% covered . Either way, I did not authorize them to put a rebuilt transmission in there so if they did that on your own and if they did void my warranty that’s on them. that’s definitely a chargeable case

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RamCares is a seasoned resource. Reach out to them, stay in touch and let us know the outcome.

That is exactly who I’m talking about. When I said customer service is horrible. I’ve reached out to them multiple times and they’re not doing a whole lot about it at this point.. extremely ignorant on the telephone with you.

Scott A Target

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the transmission replaced in my 2017 with a reman under warranty. Dealer told me all the components clutch pack and fluid was all burned up. Truck had 48000km on it. Here we are a year later and less than 15000km and the new transmission is over heating, hard shifting and dealer cannot get me in until November. Yea it has warranty. The thermal valve was never replaced so it’s cooking its self to death again. And without a check engine light to tell them what’s wrong the dealer says nothing wrong. When did mechanics stop knowing how to diagnose and fix things. At this rate it’s gonna need a new transmission. Sorry to hear your troubles with your transmission . And I would be upset if my brand new truck got a reman in it. Especially if they did not do all the work. It’s just gonna fail again and now you cannot trust when it will fail.

bob E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try Ram Customer retention. I had other issues than a tranny and after many trips to resolve and many emails and calls it got fixed and was compensated.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Reman's can actually be better, as anything internal that failed can get the "new and improved" parts if there are some necessary. And remanufactured is different than rebuilt.

OP
OP
R

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reman's can actually be better, as anything internal that failed can get the "new and improved" parts if there are some necessary. And remanufactured is different than rebuilt.

I do the stuff for a living it’***** or miss and it’s not all brand new… and it’s a brand new truck , it’s should have a brand new transmission in it……. They’re not using rebuilt transmission on the assembly line .

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I do the stuff for a living it’***** or miss and it’s not all brand new… and it’s a brand new truck , it’s should have a brand new transmission in it……. They’re not using rebuilt transmission on the assembly line .
I bet the reman transmission isnt causing issues with hard shifts and causing CEL's and probably getting you down the road much better than your "new" transmission. Definitely seems like the lesser of 2 evils. This is downright entitled behavior sir, you have a truck working now. Its a truck, not a sportscar. 100k is the norm for everything nice today, get over it and drive your remanned tranny already......

In all seriousness, I am just being a ***** cuz i am kinda bored at work today. I really hope you get this resolved. RAM Cares didnt help me at all with the dipstick recall either. So I get the frustration a little bit, but mine is nothing near as serious as you. I just went through lots of effort to be told something I was already doing already, so RAM cares didnt help in the slightest.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
@Redcoupe92 I know some folks will disagree with me on this and say a reman is as good as brand new but imho if the tranny had went out on me when i finally got my new 2020 at only 1200 miles, theres no way in hell they would be putting a reman on my truck. They could put a zero mile tranny in it within 6 weeks, or buy it back, if neither was an option for them then I'd tell em they can talk to my lawyer in the morning. No way am I paying 80k-100k for a brand spanking new truck then getting a rebuilt major part stuck in it , nope and hell nope, not this dude.
I have to agree wholeheartedly.
You bought a new truck with a new transmission and now you have a new truck with a used transmission. It's not what you bought !!
I will say that you have a beautiful truck .
I would be so pissed I couldn't see straight !!
Either get a new transmission or a new truck. Keep after it until a solution in your favor, nothing less !

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
So sorry man. You probobly need to speak with some legal agecies i.e. consumer protection agency. In my State that starts with Attoney genetrals office. Documentation, documention, documentation. Get all your paperwork in order, recapture all your conversation and dates and time and people with dealer. Talk to agency, if they are willing to help, that is great. If not, you have few options. Get a 200K warranty from dealer which they will refuse. Then time for attorney. If you get any favaroble response from agency that will also help with attorney and the case.

It is going to be uphill battle, costly and time consuming. One thing in your favor is you did not authorize them to use used parts.

if you are not happy that will hunt you for the rest of the truck's life. Take a loss and trade it in. Your best option will be RAM dealers, call few and get an idea.

Important: Contact FCA (800) 334-9200 and open a case with RAM ASAP if you already haven't done

Sometimes pressure from BBB gets + result. File a complaint with BBB