Broke my front drive shaft. RAM agreed to replace it under warranty despite mods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I consider my offroading "light" -- it's overlanding mostly, getting to a destination. The dealership disagreed lol but they did agree to fix my front driveshaft under warranty. I'm pretty sure they were under no obligation with not only a 6" lift, but one that involved modifying a few things on the truck to work with the ORP. I worked very hard on alignment, but she's a big girl and I suppose these things can happen.

Since it was a free replacement, I'm going to run with it for now. If it breaks again, I'll have something much tougher made and run U joints on both sides. (It was the CV that cracked and fell off.)

Also bless that locker, saved me out in the middle of the desert with no 4WD. Funny how the sensor gets slightly bent in the rear and a bunch of warnings go off. Take out the front driveshaft and it doesn't know and drives like it don't care.

Here's the video from the trip it broke on. Think it'll break again?

Moral of the story: if your crap breaks, use this as a precedent for getting your stuff fixed for free.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What you call "light" offroading, is probably more extreme than 99% of Rams will ever do. The truck looked very capable from that footage. Glad to know it can perform in that environment. Should be able to handle the farm fields, boat ramps and dirt roads that mine sees with ease. Thanks for posting.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Your situation is one reason why I would never take a lifted truck off the pavement. You were lucky to make it back to town and it is surprising that you have not learned from your mistakes but plan to continue on the same path. Maybe time to invest in a satellite phone.

OP
OP
Blotterhead

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your situation is one reason why I would never take a lifted truck off the pavement. You were lucky to make it back to town and it is surprising that you have not learned from your mistakes but plan to continue on the same path. Maybe time to invest in a satellite phone.

What lesson have I not learned? I bought the truck for the sole purpose of overlanding.

Edit: Because I said the locker saved me? It saved me from having to leave the truck, my life wasn't in danger, there were other vehicles around...

Welcome to 2019, where you can offend someone for being passionate about... overlanding/offroading of all things.

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
never take a lifted truck off-road :happy175: Ain’t that the whole reason lol. Shoot mines lifted and twice as long and have zero issues. The pw is lifted over stock hd and it’s meant for off-road.

C022BA1E-A7A5-4820-A4A4-396DB2A0C7D8.jpeg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
What lesson have I not learned? I bought the truck for the sole purpose of overlanding.

Edit: Because I said the locker saved me? It saved me from having to leave the truck, my life wasn't in danger, there were other vehicles around...

Welcome to 2019, where you can offend someone for being passionate about... overlanding/offroading of all things.
Its ok. Some people are happy on paved roads. Lol. Fortune favors the bold

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Vid didn't look that much different than what the press did previewing a stock Rebel at Moab. Looked like your truck did fine and didn't look like you were abusing the truck at all.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
by law they have to fix it if your mods are not the cause of it.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The only real reason to put a lift on a vehicle is to take it off road. What are you talking about?? :lol:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Not if it's being used other than recommended in the manual. I'm sure there's some disclaimer in there about off-roading.

OP
OP
Blotterhead

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not if it's being used other than recommended in the manual. I'm sure there's some disclaimer in there about off-roading.

I live in Las Vegas so the offroading community is huge here. Because of that, the Jeep/RAM dealer has it's own offroad customization department that's actually part of the dealership. When I did this kit I had to sign a waiver saying that anything that breaks related to the suspension will not be covered under warranty. The front drive shaft is not part of the suspension, but the angle of the driveshaft was changed. So is it RELATED to the suspension? That's a gray area in my mind, but I'm glad I didn't have to fight it.