Good news we're fixing your recalled HPFP! Bad news we broke your fuel lines in the process!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaTango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Diesel
I own a 2021 EcoDiesel 1500 which was under the Z96 for replacement of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) for the past year or so. I had gotten placed on the list for the repair with my local dealership and they called me and scheduled the repair. I took it in and they said that they would need it for approximately 1.5 days. I had inquired if they had a loaner vehicle but they said that they didn't have any. I just received a call notifying my that during the pump replacement they sheared off the fuel lines and had to order new parts which are going to be another 5 days before they receive them. I again asked about a loaner vehicle since both my wife and I work and they once again said they didn't have anything. Is it unreasonable to expect a loaner vehicle for recall/warranty work, especially if they broke additional parts and are going to have it for a week now? Do I have any recourse?

*Update Edit*: The dealership called me back yesterday afternoon and told me that a loaner vehicle had came back and offered it to me. I went and picked it up with no hassle and now have a means of getting to work without extra cost!

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
How I read the base warranty, no loaner vehicle. It sucks because some guys have had their units down for many months waiting for parts. The extended warranty, some have replacement vehicle coverage.

If I were you, I would talk to the Service manager calmly and reasonably. They have to have some used or demos around but it will only happen if they feel like it. If he won't help, might talk to the general manager or owner if you can find them.

Ramulus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco
The RAM dealer near me doesn't keep enough loaners on hand (they never have any available), and no, it's NOT unreasonable to expect a loaner for recall work. Seems the dealer's incompetence has put you out another 5 days. I would ask for them to cover a rental.

That said, why was it originally 1.5 days for the repair? I thought it was a matter of a few hours of labor?

OP
OP
P

PapaTango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Diesel
The RAM dealer near me doesn't keep enough loaners on hand (they never have any available), and no, it's NOT unreasonable to expect a loaner for recall work. Seems the dealer's incompetence has put you out another 5 days. I would ask for them to cover a rental.

That said, why was it originally 1.5 days for the repair? I thought it was a matter of a few hours of labor?
I'm not sure why they had given me that as the timeline. They had mentioned that the HPFP was an internal pump so I don't know if that means they had to drop the fuel tank or remove the bed.

Ramulus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco
HPFP is at front of the engine. Lift pump is in the tank. If they are replacing both that is good and would make sense for the labor time. I haven't had mine replaced yet under warranty.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Dealers often rent their own cars out. They do this for insurance
purposes.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Check your MaxCare warranty, mine says up to $35 a day, max total $175. So if you can find a $35 a day rental, they will cover 5 days.
I have a Mopar account, it lists my MaxCare warranty, the recalls and those extended warranty TSBs for my truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Today i had a full inspection done on my 2016 eco-diesel
While i was getting that done, i asked about 2 Recalls

High Pressure Fuel Pump
&
Diesel EGR Cooler

i don't think he told me the truth, he said that they are both the same thing
also that no parts available

I passed Inspection, except for Wiper Blades

I asked the Parts Dept, what blades might be better than Mopar, i was told
Rain X & Bosch.
Bosch ICONs, i have heard that sometimes they are noisy ??
Maybe i will ask about Bosch Evolution

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I haven't seen a rental car for $35 a day for probably 20 years.
That's what I have always felt, saying in the contract that a rental is covered is not worth it. And the fact for me is that I get a better deal just renting through a 3rd party site and they won't get involved in using the up to amount in payment services.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Check your MaxCare warranty, mine says up to $35 a day, max total $175. So if you can find a $35 a day rental, they will cover 5 days.
I have MaxCare on 4 of my vehicles. Have never had an issue with rental car. Last big fix was on my Durango, cams, lifters, exhaust manifolds. 22 days in a rental, not a cent out of pocket except my 100$ deductible.

OP
OP
P

PapaTango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Diesel
I've edited my first post but just wanted to state that the dealership has made it right. They were able to provide me with a loaner vehicle and made it a very straight forward process. It pays to be understanding when talking with the folks and probably doesn't hurt that it is a small town dealership that wants to do the right thing because they understand that's how you get return customers.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4

High Pressure Fuel Pump
&
Diesel EGR Cooler

I passed Inspection, except for Wiper Blades

I asked the Parts Dept, what blades might be better than Mopar, i was told
Rain X & Bosch.
Bosch ICONs, i have heard that sometimes they are noisy ??
Maybe i will ask about Bosch Evolution
Trico force rock auto

Ramulus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco

High Pressure Fuel Pump
&
Diesel EGR Cooler

EGR cooler recall was quite some time ago. I want to say it's a few years old at this point. I would get that done asap. I don't see how parts are not available for that.

HPFP recall is more recent, and parts for that are just now rolling out due to limited parts availability.