Broke vacuum line, is there a cheat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhamilton86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the vacuum line for the vents broke right where it passes thru the firewall on my 99. Second time its broke but the first time was under the hood, no big deal. This time its not patchable so I'm wanting to run a new line, but I really don't want to pull the whole dash. Is there a way to install a new line without pulling the dash or should I just buckle down and do it.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So the vacuum line for the vents broke right where it passes thru the firewall on my 99. Second time its broke but the first time was under the hood, no big deal. This time its not patchable so I'm wanting to run a new line, but I really don't want to pull the whole dash. Is there a way to install a new line without pulling the dash or should I just buckle down and do it.

Buckle down and replace the line. If you have ever seen the routing once it passes through the bulkhead into the cab you would have a really hard time getting it in position and getting it connected.

Did it break off inside the cab to where you can no longer reach it? If you really focus and work smart and not hard, you can have the steering column laying in the floor and the instrument panel pulled back in under 30 minutes.

For the last 2001 BE that I pulled the HVAC housing out of, I used some braided vacuum hose that I had purchased from the ECS Tuning website. I did it that way to prevent the plastic vacuum line from getting brittle again and breaking. This is what I have and it works really well.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rein-pa...xvhLlJGGAD_FZtqgYa0cXoNtnzZPDR5kaAp4OEALw_wcB

OP
OP
J

jhamilton86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah its broke past the firewall so looks like I will be pulling the dash. Going to replace the heaer core while I'm in there as I suspect it has a little leak. Last winter I had to bleed air out at least once a week to have good heat but never found where it was leaking. Gonna go with the cut the tubes and clamp with hose route, seems much easier than taking everything apart

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is really easy to get the instrument panel out. I put the column in the floor and lay the right side of the instrument panel in the passenger seat. It can be out in under 30 minutes. Take a moment to identify the fasteners and attaching locations and it will come out pretty quick.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I agree with just pulling the dash, the hardest part is not breaking the top dash cover to get to the fasteners by the windshield. Take your time and you’ll be fine. Gl.

OP
OP
J

jhamilton86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol the top of the dash is trashed anyway. Main reason I don't want to pull it yet is I wanted to wait until I had money to replace the dash and everything in one shot so I would be done under there for a while. I did get lucky though, looking at it with better light I had just enough left coming thru the firewall to barely patch it again. Buys me a little more time to save up for the job when I do have to do it

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my vacuum line cracked, it was under the hood, also. But I decided to replace them, so it wouldn't happen again. But, I didn't pull the dash.
I bought 3mm rubber tubing on Ebay for about $7.00. I attached it to ends of the hard lines that I had clipped, ran it through the firewall, pulled the radio and climate control, and used a coat hanger to hook it and pull it through. Took about an hour, and everything works.
Just an alternative suggestion, if you don't want to go all out.