Bumper rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I've got a May 2016 1500 SLT 4x4.

I've noticed a big gouge of rust on the undeside of the front bumper. I'm sure the dealer is going to say that it's from a scrape, but how can you scrape chrome finish off of the front bumper without damaging the rubber skirt too?!

More disturbingly, there are tiny spots of rust appearing on the back bumper along with black spots.

Should this be covered by warranty on a sub-2 year old truck? What should my expectations be?

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
Here you go. You can see that one of the rust spots seems to be bleeding from under a patch of chrome, so in my opinion, it's definitely coming from the inside out.

There are numerous smaller rust spots and dark spots appearing.

IMG_6793.JPG

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Is it coming from the bacl side and rusting through ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You live in a snow state? I see them saying it is related to road salt.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not an issue for FCA until it rusts right through and by then your warranty will be done.

Clean it up now. Wash the truck and hit the bumpers with never dull, then wax them with whatever you use on your truck. You should also use a rust inhibiting undercoat like Krown, Fluid Film or whatever you have in your area. Have the whole truck done underneath every year before winter and make sure they hit the backsides of the bumpers.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
You live in a snow state? I see them saying it is related to road salt.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. So, yes...we use salt. Somehow my 7-year old F150 with chrome bumpers managed to survive this...

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
As a follow-up...just got a call from the FCA dealer. I'm being given a new rear bumper!

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more of a fight. I suspect the dealer had some influence here. Kudos to the dealer: they're not even the one I bought from :)

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a follow-up...just got a call from the FCA dealer. I'm being given a new rear bumper!
Get it on asap before they change their mind! haha jk. good for you