Burned to the ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you heard anything about wiring harness fires in the 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition? On June 19th I was in my office and heard three loud bangs. I ran outside to see flames coming out of the bed of the truck and moving over the roof. I ran to get the hose to protect the house as I called 911. I had driven the truck about 18 hours before the fire.

It destroyed the truck. After the insurance company accused me of fraud and wanting financial gain out of all of this, they sent a fire/cause inspector out. He looked things over and said the fire originated in the driver's side wiring harness. They have it in a tow yard right now so they might investigate the cause and go after Dodge.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
So... what’d you soak the harness with??

All kidding aside, glad nobody was injured.

Best of Luck in your endeavor.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It was on a different forum but there was a EcoD that had a wiring harness that started to smolder somewhere around the transfer case. I think the owner said the part of the harness wasn't routed correctly. Luckily the owner smelt and saw it before anything caught fire.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah, how about they shut up and investigate before accusing you of fraud? if there is no sign of an accelerant or tampering i doubt it they have a hope in hell of proving fraud. otherwise, i've had a lightbulb with the wrong style of posts on it burn up a wiring harness so weird stuff can happen. i assume it wasn't running at the time or should have been drawing power in any way?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Not sure what year the Ram was, but back in May, a Carolina Beach (North Carolina) Police Truck caught on fire on the beach. It was said on the news that they suspect it was a faulty wiring harness. I tried googling the news story, but every thing it pulls back now says they aren't sure what caused the fire.
fire truck.jpg

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
It would take an idiot to burn his truck next to his own house, new insurance company for sure. As far as fires in Rams go I have not heard of a systemic problem being reported. There are so many reasons possible that could cause an electrical fire you cannot know unless an investigation finds something.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I had a similar problem with a truck and fortunately I always carry some tools and so I grabbed an adjustable spanner and removed the positive lead from the battery and no fire. Shorts happen and disconnecting the battery is the first step. A $5 wrench is a good investment.

On my 2011 diesel there was a wiring problem from one of the NOx sensors. When the mechanic fixed it he noticed that there was a section of the wiring loom that ran over the EGR and was in direct contact and another area where the wiring was being abraded by the AC pulley.

And then there are mice who get inside doors and engine compartments and cause wiring damage.

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree wholeheartedly with Elkman about carrying a small set of tools as a "just in case". I have done so for all the 55 years I've been driving and have used them once! Best insurance policy I can get for over the road problems! Allow me to segue to the "varmint under the hood" part of the discussion. I had a large collection of acorns deposited in my air intake box just below the filter. Cleaned them out and installed some quarter inch grid galvanized screening at the point where the intake air comes through the inner fender panel into the hose. It was easy enough to shape and fold it over the end of the hose before sticking it back into the fitting on the inner fender. No more food deposits! Hope somebody else benefits from this, and if it was published before I apologize for repeating it, but I'm really happy with it so wanted to share.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It destroyed the truck. After the insurance company accused me of fraud and wanting financial gain out of all of this, they sent a fire/cause inspector out. He looked things over and said the fire originated in the driver's side wiring harness. They have it in a tow yard right now so they might investigate the cause and go after Dodge.

Get a lawyer. Insurance companies will try their best to screw you out of what you have been paying premiums for for years. I wouldn't put up with it for a second.
They are HOPING you will roll over and play dead and eat the loss. When they get a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue, they will back down because fighting a lawsuit will cost them more than not paying off the vehicle.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the reason you have and pay for insurance. For them to come out and say that you burnt your own truck WOW time to get paid for the burnt truck and say see ya to that insurance company. Looks like they are diving in deep here some ******* insurance investigator wants to get a silver star or make a name for himself or herself. Hope it works out and you get all your money and a renta car for now. Good Luck brother

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a lawyer. Insurance companies will try their best to screw you out of what you have been paying premiums for for years. I wouldn't put up with it for a second.
They are HOPING you will roll over and play dead and eat the loss. When they get a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue, they will back down because fighting a lawsuit will cost them more than not paying off the vehicle.
most insurance company's have lawyers on the payroll for this reason so they are not going to shake in their boots with a lawsuit. so I have to disagree with you on that

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it was a arsonist set your truck up for the kick of it for the fire to start inside the bed of the truck ,which is out side in the open.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
most insurance company's have lawyers on the payroll for this reason so they are not going to shake in their boots with a lawsuit. so I have to disagree with you on that

Of course they have lawyers on the payroll. But the only reason they will deny a claim with no evidence of wrong doing is because they think they can intimidate you. This is a COMMON tactic of a INS company. They are NOT in the business of paying out claims; they are the business of NOT paying claims. Get a lawyer and take the fight to them.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Is yours a ecod? There are lots of reports of ecod burning down to the ground all years 14-18. Dpf fires, intake manifold fires and wire harness fires