Buying a Canadian truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No this isnt the start to a bad joke.

I found a truck the suites all of my requirements and then some. It is for sale in upstate NY. The truck was purchased by a dealer at auction and came from Canada.

There is no service history on the vehicle, it is a 2018 Cummins with under 6000 miles. It is a one owner, no accident reported vehicle also.

Im wondering why you would sell a limited cummins truck with under 6k miles at auction?

I would have to buy a warranty through FCA to make me comfortable to begin with. My question is does anybody have experience with a similar situation?

Also aren't there some components with the infotainment system that originate in Canada that don’t work in the US?

Just trying to think of all the things that could go wrong with this purchase. Can you guys help me out with some advice please?

Thanks

Peter

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe whether it Canadian or US it would all under BUYers’s beware. But Canada trucks have all the same standard items except we have day time running light law and some states don’t have that. Just means out head lights lights are on all the time. If you are serious I would check US CUSTOMS to in sure all the paperwork is done on the entire of the vehicle in to USA but if you want it get it. I

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In addition you could always call a dealer in Canada with the vin and they could look up is work was done at a dealer. Heck am Canada and I have had oil change in Florida on vacation and it shower up here on the system

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I bought mine in May and my son bought the same exact truck about 1 month ago. Both from Canada. I spoke with FCA about this. The warranty is void when you buy it until you hit 9321 miles (15,000km's). Mine had 8000 and my sons had 6000. I had already went through the process with mine so my son's was easy. Once you hit that mileage number call your local dealer and they have to log into dealer connect and transfer it. Took me 5 minutes to do my son's (he couldn't call cause of work so I called and took care of it). With mine I had made several calls to FCA and was getting some run around. My step-son just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last week from a local GMC dealer and it was from Canada too (had 11,000 miles). I called GM and they verified they honor their warranty no matter what so nothing to do there. All 3 had already had the gauge cluster changed to read MPH (not the digital one as that can be changed in settings but the analog speedometer had been changed).

So I have put 3000 miles on mine and my son ha put 5000 on his and neither one of us have had any issues and no regrets. My son towed his 8000lb camper 1500 miles a week after he bought his.

Here is thre thread detailing it > https://www.ramforum.com/threads/canadian-rams-discriminated-against.142542/page-11#post-2100955

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought mine in May and my son bought the same exact truck about 1 month ago. Both from Canada. I spoke with FCA about this. The warranty is void when you buy it until you hit 9321 miles (15,000km's). Mine had 8000 and my sons had 6000. I had already went through the process with mine so my son's was easy. Once you hit that mileage number call your local dealer and they have to log into dealer connect and transfer it. Took me 5 minutes to do my son's (he couldn't call cause of work so I called and took care of it). With mine I had made several calls to FCA and was getting some run around. My step-son just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra last week from a local GMC dealer and it was from Canada too (had 11,000 miles). I called GM and they verified they honor their warranty no matter what so nothing to do there. All 3 had already had the gauge cluster changed to read MPH (not the digital one as that can be changed in settings but the analog speedometer had been changed).

So I have put 3000 miles on mine and my son ha put 5000 on his and neither one of us have had any issues and no regrets. My son towed his 8000lb camper 1500 miles a week after he bought his.

Here is thre thread detailing it > https://www.ramforum.com/threads/canadian-rams-discriminated-against.142542/page-11#post-2100955
This was exactly what i was looking for. Tha k you very much

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
This was exactly what i was looking for. Tha k you very much

Before you buy it, talk to FCA about a warranty. When I purchased my 14 Sport, they would not warranty it because it was sold in Canada and returned to the US. I talked to them and there we a couple of circumstances that they would let you purchase a warranty but they were few and far between. Mine didn't qualify.

It's too much money to assume they will cover it. ASK THEM - I'm not shouting just emphasizing the need to be sure.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe you can work an extended warranty into the deal. Use the fact that It’s a Canadian truck being sold in the US as a negative and that you’ll have to fight with FCA on honoring the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is some obscure rule about it having to be a used unit
The sale price on a Canadian unit sometimes is close to the same dollar number as yours
so 30% cheaper
That has something to do with trade laws
We find this on tires sometimes as well
The rest we get hosed on

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you buy it, talk to FCA about a warranty. When I purchased my 14 Sport, they would not warranty it because it was sold in Canada and returned to the US. I talked to them and there we a couple of circumstances that they would let you purchase a warranty but they were few and far between. Mine didn't qualify.

It's too much money to assume they will cover it. ASK THEM - I'm not shouting just emphasizing the need to be sure.
Completely agree. You just called ram customer service?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Completely agree. You just called ram customer service?

It's been a while so I don't remember but starting with customer service and asking the question should get you where you need to go. Be sure you have the Vin # as everything is based on that piece of info.

I do recall I did end up talking to an FCA employee that knew FCA warranties, IIRC

Good luck, it should be a great truck if everything checks out.

Last edited:

PapaCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3.0 liter eco-diesel
I bought my 2017 1500 ecodiesel Canadian market truck from a Cadillac dealer in Oregon. Found out ahead of buying that it would have no warranty in the US. I worked a deal with the owner of the dealership to include a 3 year, 36k mile aftermarket comprehensive warranty with a $100 deductible. I strongly suggest you get an aftermarket and NOT a FCA warranty. The main difference between a Canadian truck and a US truck is that there are no 911/help services available (on the rear view mirror) nor are there any apps like yelp, weather, etc due to lack of appropriate services in Canada. The above comment regarding amber running lights is true. You have them on the Canadian rigs.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yes, I should have added to call FCA with the VIN and verify it can be transferred. I didn't know about the whole Canadian warranty thing when I bought mine and found out a few days later. I called a couple of local dealers and when they pulled it up everything was in kilometers and no warranty. I called FCA and talked to 4 different people, 3 told me it could be transferred and 1 told me they never transfer them. The ones that said I could said there were 2 codes defining whether or not they could be transferred. IIRC one was 595 and one was 596. Mine was eligible. Before my son bought his I called and asked and they verified it could be transferred. Once we hit the 9321 it only took a 5 minute call to my local dealer. I even waited a few days and called a different dealer to ask them if my truck was covered. The pulled it up and said there was nothing on there stating it was Canadian and everything was in miles.