Buying Tires This Week - Looking for advice/ Testimonials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went with some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 in 35x12.5r20. Haven’t had a chance to put them to use yet, but they sure do look great as a decoration in my garage!7c4195b76793eef453b14d80cb27b074.jpg

2016 5.7L Ram 1500 QC

I've got these in stock size. I have 23000 on them right now with about half tread left. I wish I would've rotated them more when I first got them. I tow regularly and always have a load in the bed.

Rugged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have firestone m/t2’s and they are awesome. Ride smooth at speed and seem to accel in everything. Snow rain mud dry pavement and look good as well. I have about 8000 on them and most people think they are new.

cc95b6fa7e686ae2a3d22412f0c36333.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
i run radar renegade a/t's.... they run quiet and smooth... low cost and 40k warranty to boot

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My only advice is don't be a cheapskate like me and go for the no name tires that are "On Special". You'll spend more money trying to balance and troubleshoot the bounce in them then if you'd of bought a good set to start with....

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been running Cooper STT Pro 295/60r20 for almost three years now. I have put around 20,000 miles on them with little issue. The first 10,000 miles the outside 1/4 of the tread was wearing faster then the rest of the tire. The stock firestones had the same issue and after 12000 miles were toast even with rotating and multiple alignments. I purchased the STT Pros from discount tire with the free life time rotation. I rotated them ever 3000 miles and it keep the wear in check. I'm about due for another rotation and balance and the wear is now even across the entire tread pattern. In 20,000 miles they have only required a rebalance once. I played with tire pressure and expect I just had the fronts set to high at 65 lbs. Now that I have the fronts at 55lbs and the rears at 70lbs the tires are wearing even. I'm still above 50% tread and expect to get about 50000 miles out of them.

One area that has steadily worsened over time is the tire noise. They are mud terrain so they aren't bad with the windows up but they have started to get louder over time. The loudest is right after a rotation. Because I do not see as much mud as I did before I plan to switch to an all terrain in the future. The Pros love to dig themselves deep in the sand and require a lot of air to be taken out to float. I've had no traction issues with the exception of sand, but that is normal for a MT in sand. I've had Toyo MT and KM2 in the past on other vehicles and the STT Pros are by far my personal favorite for MT.

By increasing size and weight I did lose about 2 mpg. I also noticed I could no longer spin the tires from a stop. I've only towed twice with them. First being when they are brand new and noticed the tires were squishy. That feeling was made worse with the trailer on. After about 1000 miles that feeling went away loaded and unloaded. The second time was a few months ago and I had no complaints. The small increase in side wall did help to smooth out some of the bumps I see on my commute. I've also caught several people checking out the tires, but this happens a lot with rolling around in a mega cab. It is usually cool, but the wife hates walking up to the truck when people are staring at it.

Best of luck in your decision on tires. Please keep us informed on your choice. I know in the next year or two I'll be shopping again.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the STT Pro's in 305/70/18 with 38k on them. They keep going. I'm guessing I'll get 45k or more out of them...maybe 50k. Like the poster says above they do get loud over time. Highway they are louder than my exhaust. I don't mind the noise, but sometimes makes it impossible to talk on the phone.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Next set of tires fore will be the new Cooper at3 xlt

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm getting the new Cooper AT3 XLT 275/65R20 E-load tires installed tomorrow. They have very aggressive sidewall tread design, but are supposed to be low noise and 60K mile warranty. And they have a strengthened sidewall design for heavy towing. I'll post up pics once installed. Added pics...please excuse the dirty truck .

I have not had a good time with the stock Firestone AT's. They have been the slickest all-season AT tire I've ever experienced in wet, snow and mud. It's either the CTD torque or they just plain suck in those conditions.

DiscovererAT3XLT profile.jpg

View attachment 135088

IMAG3220.jpg

IMAG3222.jpg

IMAG3221.jpg

View attachment 135182

Last edited:

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I had the KO 2's on my Wrangler Unlimited, and they were excellent on it. However, have never run them on a heavy duty. Did try a set of Toyo's on my Cummins, and they wore out in record time. My best experience to date has been the Terra Grappler, but I'm thinking of trying the Cooper Discoverer when it is time for a set of tires next time.

In a similar boat here. Had a set of KOs then KO2s on my '99 1500 and loved them. But haven't tried them on this heavier truck. And if they're getting complaints more recently maybe they changed something. Personally leaning towards the Nittos as I've been seeing a lot of positive commentary with them.

Based on comments just on the first page so far I'd say try out the Toyos if those are your preferred two. I hate to pass on the KO2s but I don't have experience with recent versions to counter other observations.

Edit: After the rest sounds like Nittos might not be 100% either, although still more positives than negatives. This is why tire choices suck. Everyone has different experiences and they seem to work differently for everyone. :p

Also I think I'm off on the BFGs. The OP said Rugged Terrains. I'm familiar with the All-Terrain T/A KO2s. Are those having the same recent issues?

Last edited:

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm getting the new Cooper AT3 XLT 275/65R20 E-load tires installed tomorrow. They have very aggressive sidewall tread design, but are supposed to be low noise and 60K mile warranty. And they have a strengthened sidewall design for heavy towing. I'll post up pics once installed. Added pics...please excuse the dirty truck .

I have not had a good time with the stock Firestone AT's. They have been the slickest all-season AT tire I've ever experienced in wet, snow and mud. It's either the CTD torque or they just plain suck in those conditions.

Agreed, I am not a fan of the stock ones. They're wearing too fast and the traction just isn't there. Just making a turn from some stop signs they'll release and swing the end around and I'm not even stomping on it.

Purdy truck. ;) Keep us posted how the Coopers work.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
In a similar boat here. Had a set of KOs then KO2s on my '99 1500 and loved them. But haven't tried them on this heavier truck. And if they're getting complaints more recently maybe they changed something. Personally leaning towards the Nittos as I've been seeing a lot of positive commentary with them.

Based on comments just on the first page so far I'd say try out the Toyos if those are your preferred two. I hate to pass on the KO2s but I don't have experience with recent versions to counter other observations.

Edit: After the rest sounds like Nittos might not be 100% either, although still more positives than negatives. This is why tire choices suck. Everyone has different experiences and they seem to work differently for everyone. :p

I will say that the Terra Grapplers have amazing wet weather traction! I rarely if ever go off road for any reason, but the rain here in Florida is epic, and wet traction is important.

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't mind the KO2's. But I don't tow all the time or particularly heavy weights either and my truck isn't a work rig. About 90% daily driver and 10% towing (7200lb TT).

I bought them for driving on pavement on packed snow and ice, not for offroading. They are fine as a four season tire for what I need.

Good grip now, great grip when new on snow and ice. Faster wear with a softer compound is the rule but I'll take the winter grip.

Have had them on for 43,000 km (27,000 miles) and rotate them every 5k km. Should get another couple of years out of them with amount of kms I drive annually.

See a lot of Duratracs here on 3/4 and 1 tons as well for the same reason.

Really depends what you want most out of the tire.

Last edited:

Mansenstripe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
20181026_154350.jpg I've had Cooper discoverer AT3 XLT 35x12.5x20 for about 2 weeks now. I couldn't be happier. Nice aggressive sidewall and almost as quiet as much old Michelin LTX M/S2.

Last edited: