Cabin air filter mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It is....really,....but it also sucks too.

My daily commute to & from work is right @ 5 miles total, and if it weren't for a rail yard between me & the shipyard, it'd be even shorter.

Same here, my daughter was here when I retired, so I stayed....and now she & her husband and the grandkids are in stationed in GA, my parents are in FL, so road trips are common these days.

Right back at ya....Thank you for your service.

Thank You... As of now 1 son is in Ct. so a road trip is easy :) My daughter is in Orlando , 3 up here in Maine :) #3 son retires in about 5 years and #2 son has a son in Boot Camp now :) SO lucky for now most of my kids and grand kids are close !

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
I did this mod this morning. I used a cheapo xacto soldering iron to cut out the opening. It took about 30 minutes to complete.

Tip - you don't need to cut out the lower part that drops down in the middle. Also on the bottom edge, you don't need to cut all the way to the bottom. There is a slightly thicker part of plastic edge say, 3/16" that needs to stay. IE The opening only needs to be big enough to get the filter in.

edit - it's just crazy how much dirty can get into the evaporator.

Last edited:

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Anyone else that's done this mod notice a reduction in the air flow coming out of the vents?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Anyone else that's done this mod notice a reduction in the air flow coming out of the vents?

Common sense says there is going to be some reduction, you placing a filter that the air must flow thru, to get to you.

But, the reduction is not really noticable and, in my opnion, the benefits far outweigh the losses.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Yes, very noticeable on my Mega cab. It's not great to begin with. I did the mod but after a couple days I pulled the filter out. Couldn't live with the reduced air flow.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed mine it wasn't but a couple of days before my wife commented on the difference. She has allergies pretty bad and is really sensitive to breathing in a lot of crap in the air. I agree if there is a reduced amount of air flow it's still worth it at least in my situation--Happy wife=Happy life. LOL
Jay

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Common sense says there is going to be some reduction, you placing a filter that the air must flow thru, to get to you.

But, the reduction is not really noticable and, in my opnion, the benefits far outweigh the losses.

In my opinion, the reduction is very noticeable.

As someone else commented, the amount of air flow to begin with isn't very great. After the cabin is cooled down it probably wont be that big a deal. But, I think others should know this is a side affect to the mod.

One thing I'm going to check is to make sure the evaporator core isn't clogged. I watched a video on youtube the other day that had an extremely dirty core. I figure I can pop the blower motor out and at least look at it.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
In my opinion, the reduction is very noticeable.

As someone else commented, the amount of air flow to begin with isn't very great. After the cabin is cooled down it probably wont be that big a deal. But, I think others should know this is a side affect to the mod.

One thing I'm going to check is to make sure the evaporator core isn't clogged. I watched a video on youtube the other day that had an extremely dirty core. I figure I can pop the blower motor out and at least look at it.

I really think we are discussing two differing truck here.
I can jump in my truck, which has sat outside, windshield facing South, directly into an Iowa Sun and have my truck freeze me out before I go 1 mile.
97degree day. I knew it was goign to miserable when I got back to my truck. SO, when I parked it i set the A/C to max and highest fan setting.
walked out the door, hit the remote start, walked down the aisle to my truck, about 100 yards, opened my door and enjoyed the cool comfort.

I have zeero issues with the volume of aire flow, both prior to and after the filter installation.

not sure why some folks have compalints butg suspect they have other things contributing.

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
I have a 2010 and the other gentleman has a 2016.

I live in Alabama and we get 98 degree + days from June to October. Nothing cools down in a mile here. :D

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just completed the mod. I have one question, a couple people mentioned not getting shavings down in the system. I think a couple small shavings fell into it. Is there anything I can do? Will that cause any problems?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I just completed the mod. I have one question, a couple people mentioned not getting shavings down in the system. I think a couple small shavings fell into it. Is there anything I can do? Will that cause any problems?
I f only a few small shavings fell I would not worry about it much ! I have read the removing the fan motor is not hard so that may be something you want to find a thread on if no one post it ! I'll check the search box and update if I find any info

jjyergler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I don't know if any got in there, so I think I'll let it be. If there is anything, I assume I'll hear them rattling around the motor?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just replaced my first filter that's been in there for 30k miles. It was black (initially it was white). There were small leaves and sand all over it.

I'm glad I did this mod...

And I have no issues on the hottest of days, and the coldest of days with enough air flow.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I did a air flow test awhile ago. and did not notice much difference ! I will do another test in a day or 2 if I get bored lol This time I will tape my air flow meter to a vent because location can change the reading Little! FYI a cheap meter :O Someone else on here did a test with their meter and noticed a drop. To me not much and I can live with a minor air flow drop vs. the side effect to the HVAC system

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, but if you had to cut and add a filter, then you will need to get use to a new max with the filter.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just made this filter today and going to try it out. The factory (geno's) filter was a no-go on my Mega cab, restricted the already poor air flow way too much to be usable.
This is a range top filter with a thin charcoal foam sandwiched in between. I cut it down to the size of the factory filter. I can still see through the filter so hoping the air flow restriction will be minimal but still offer a little filtering. My goal is to keep the crap from getting in there and clogging up the evaporator/heater core.

0418201715.jpg 0418201739.jpg 0418201752_HDR.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I just made this filter today and going to try it out. The factory (geno's) filter was a no-go on my Mega cab, restricted the already poor air flow way too much to be usable.
This is a range top filter with a thin charcoal foam sandwiched in between. I cut it down to the size of the factory filter. I can still see through the filter so hoping the air flow restriction will be minimal but still offer a little filtering.

View attachment 203366 View attachment 203367 View attachment 203369
Nice job redoing the edges :) Good idea

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice job refitting
doing the edges :) Good idea

I ended up putting a little duct tape around the edges in the end just to help keep it all together. Those filters frames are originally all one piece with only 1 open end but I had to cut it up into 4 individual pieces.