Cabin air filter mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I was just surfing the ram forum I came across a “cabin air filter mod” can someone explain this to me please? I am just assuming that vehicles already came with a cabin air filter, is the mod part just adding a filter?

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, many like my 2015 1500 came without an air cabin filter. There are a lot of threads on the forum.

I had dealer install mine. There is a cutaway behind the glove box that once cuts allows a filter to be installed, with a locking door. Parts are all OEM.

Glad I did the mod, less dusty. Also protects the evaporator.

Slight decrease in output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Yeah, the cabin air filter seems to be installed in RAMs that were built between 2 and 5 PM but only on Thursdays falling on odd days. Unless the month was an odd one then it was even-day Tuesdays... LOL

But seriously, listening to posts on the forum, I can't figure what the deal is with the cabin air filter. I have a friend with a '12 RAM 2500 Hemi, factory air filter. I have a '12 2500 6.7 Cummins, no air filter. I don't know if they started making the cabin filter standard after a certain year, or if it is still year/model/option/moon phase dependent...

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, the cabin air filter seems to be installed in RAMs that were built between 2 and 5 PM but only on Thursdays falling on odd days. Unless the month was an odd one then it was even-day Tuesdays... LOL

But seriously, listening to posts on the forum, I can't figure what the deal is with the cabin air filter. I have a friend with a '12 RAM 2500 Hemi, factory air filter. I have a '12 2500 6.7 Cummins, no air filter. I don't know if they started making the cabin filter standard after a certain year, or if it is still year/model/option/moon phase dependent...

I actually think 2016 it became standard, and previously it was by trim-line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Laramie Limited I had to install my own filter. Whatever the reasoning was it's an easy install. I used a dremel and it took 10 to 15 minutes.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Matt, You will have to look underneath the dash(glove box) to see if you have one or not. Even if it has the "door" you'll have to take it off and look. If the filter is not there you need to buy one. If you don't have the door you will have to cut the opening and then install the filter. A VERY worthwhile mod especially if you have any type of allergies or have any dust or crap floating around in the air. I replace mine about every 10k and my wife can tell the difference every time I change it.
Jay

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As I was just surfing the ram forum I came across a “cabin air filter mod” can someone explain this to me please? I am just assuming that vehicles already came with a cabin air filter, is the mod part just adding a filter?
Your have a 2009? If so you may already have one! You have to remove your glove box as it is behind it ! You Tube has tons of videos on installing one !
FCheck these out

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ram+cabin+air+filter+mod+

tractorfix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 18 2500 SLT and 18 1500 Limited. I didn't even look, I just ordered 2 kits. My guess is neither has it. (my luck sometimes)

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2017 express QC, Pentastar has a CAF and it's very basic in terms of options compared to today's pickups. That is really odd that a higher trim level 2016+ wouldn't have one.

Kimber45cdp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have a 2016 Ram SLT. seen the post so had to go check. I have the filter and also a pain in the butt draw string on the right side of the glove box. guess its spring loaded somehow?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the filter and also a pain in the butt draw string on the right side of the glove box. guess its spring loaded somehow?
Kimber To make it easier next time you change the CAF tie a string on the draw string and tie it off on the door hinge ! Install CAF hold string and untie string save you from fishing for that spring lol.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
My 2014 Longhorn 1500 did not have the filter. Ordered the parts a couple of months ago and did the modification/install today. Not too hard to cut the opening, but a bit of a pain, I used a utility knife. I should have read what others did, the dremmel idea seems like it would have made it easier. Clean air inside the truck now!

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
My 2012 does not have one yet, this spring it will.
I have the cover already, just have to cut out the plastic blank.

prohunter4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Checked my truck. Everything was there but the filter. Now why in the hell would you go through all that and leave out a 10 dollar filter. Went to Advance, problem solved. Now have cabin filtration.