CAI questions and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I dont know how he did his but here is mine I made in Jan 18. I have it on my classic for now while painting vararam cover.
Creative home depot plumbing section shopping for adapters
The tube is straight down behind bumper, hense the question on ram air scoop

View attachment 213410

View attachment 213411

View attachment 213412

I ran mine right to the front bumper and cut a hole through the plastic insert in the lower valence on my Sport bumper,so it picks up air from the front of the bumper. If you added a forward facing scoop to the bottom of your tube,you'd have a similiar set-up to the older S&B lower scoop

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran mine right to the front bumper and cut a hole through the plastic insert in the lower valence on my Sport bumper,so it picks up air from the front of the bumper. If you added a forward facing scoop to the bottom of your tube,you'd have a similiar set-up to the older S&B lower scoop

Ya, just have to figure out the scoop. I have the idea to find something and cut it into my pass side towhook cover. I have the mental visual just have to find a compatible scoop. Something like a shop vac large area hose end but bigger hose end than the normal shop vac 2"

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
@Ramm5.7 you might explore marine bilge exhaust vents. Lots of configurations, maybe something that you can make work.
Heck, you can Rube Goldberg a poor man's turbo with some tubing & a $25 4" inline bilge fan!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Ramm5.7 you might explore marine bilge exhaust vents. Lots of configurations, maybe something that you can make work.
Heck, you can Rube Goldberg a poor man's turbo with some tubing & a $25 4" inline bilge fan!

Lol...I dont wanna go THAT far!
Im gonna find something though, kinda along these lines.

Screenshot_20200627-215936_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I found what I needed!?
It will fit the towhook cover and I have a spare with a slot cut out already for my old 18w floods. depth may be an issue but nothing a saw wont fix...lol

Screenshot_20200701-183114_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did you find that?

Ebay, what a surprise! Lol
For some reason I couldnt link it so here's a couple of pics
I dont need the hose but they seem to only come with!
Screenshot_20200702-070626_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200702-070536_eBay.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I've thought about scooping my added tube that Im using off the oem box but couldnt come up with a solution,(other than I thought of a vacuum end would be shaped right but tubing too small).
What did you use for your tube scoop??

you mean soemthing like this?

www.pegasusautoracing.com%2Fimages%2FL%2F3623-PLUS.png

buy it here:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ce=connexity&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=3623

instead of dryer vent hose, use this:

3620-TEXT.jpg

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ce=connexity&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=3620

install the vent to the passenger side of the radiotor support. tons of open space. just dremmel out what you need and bolt it up for true ram air. faster you go, more air forced into vent and the instake

all of this is using stokc oem air box, though I would suggest oging with the larger ottom piece of oem airbox mentioned in 2 nd or 3rd post.

none of this will do jack until you are redlined on rpom's, then you will notice a difference,no tune nothing else but. if you want huge increases, you got to tune and mess with mufflers, headers etc.

what kind of difference?

My 56 year old Wife came in, three days ago or so, after I finally got around to modding the air box, and wakes me up from my *****.

Wife: Hey, remember that 3" dryer vent tube thing you did?
you said it was going to make your truck pass easier, at highway speeds?

ME: Uh, yeah . . .

Wife: Well, it works.

Me: Uh, Okay. (thinking) Why would my Sunday School teaching, slow poke wife EVER need to pass someone?
Crap, she's Menopausal Psychotic.
Crap, crap, crap. She's driving the truck too!

Last edited:

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The K&N's are hands down, without a doubt the best hot air suckers on the market today!

Yep, and it's a proven fact (from plenty of reputable sources, i saw it myself in oil analysis) that they WILL let dirt into your engine. Common sense proves that alone. I'm so glad the majority of the people on this forum are smart enough to know that CAI's for these trucks are a waste of time and money unless you do a system like the Vararam. But any system using oiled gauze or other "high flow" materials despite being compact in size comes at a cost. You WILL be letting dirt into your engine. If you don't care about engine longevity in the long run and end up buying a new truck every 3-6 years then it's a non issue. But if you want to maximize engine life then letting dirt into your engine is a terrible idea.

In the past 20 years of being on different truck and engine forums i was amazed at the information being spread that was just nonsense. Very impressed at the smart people we have at this forum. It's a nice change.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
K&N ?

Basically the Equivalent of Every Idiotic thing, you ever noticed on another's car but are willing to do to your own.

Serves no purpose, other than to actually damage your Engine, but makes you feel better, because, by God, You did something without actually doing something.

Like A Richard Simmons Video is for Fitness, K&N is for those who don't know jack about cars.

BUT?
BY GAWD, THEY DID SOMETHING!!

well, so did the fat Chick watching Richard Simmons.
I doubt she sees any improvement but she sure feels better!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you mean soemthing like this?

www.pegasusautoracing.com%2Fimages%2FL%2F3623-PLUS.png

buy it here:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ce=connexity&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=3623

instead of dryer vent hose, use this:

3620-TEXT.jpg

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ce=connexity&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=3620

install the vent to the passenger side of the radiotor support. tons of open space. just dremmel out what you need and bolt it up for true ram air. faster you go, more air forced into vent and the instake

all of this is using stokc oem air box, though I would suggest oging with the larger ottom piece of oem airbox mentioned in 2 nd or 3rd post.

none of this will do jack until you are redlined on rpom's, then you will notice a difference,no tune nothing else but. if you want huge increases, you got to tune and mess with mufflers, headers etc.

what kind of difference?

My 56 year old Wife came in, three days ago or so, after I finally got around to modding the air box, and wakes me up from my *****.

Wife: Hey, remember that 3" dryer vent tube thing you did?
you said it was going to make your truck pass easier, at highway speeds?

ME: Uh, yeah . . .

Wife: Well, it works.

Me: Uh, Okay. (thinking) Why would my Sunday School teaching, slow poke wife EVER need to pass someone?
Crap, she's Menopausal Psychotic.
Crap, crap, crap. She's driving the truck too!

Lol on the crap, she's driving.my truck!! Hear that!!
Umm.....what i showed will work for what I want to do. This is NOT the first time I have modded a oem airbox but this time Im scooping and not hanging it and I want it in the tow hook cover.
Im also know what to expect as I have a modded box as I type this as well as did it to my 17 b4 s&b then vararam. Kept it from the 17.
Thanks for the tip/link but the 3.75 is too big to fit in the cover and sit flat

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&N ?

Basically the Equivalent of Every Idiotic thing, you ever noticed on another's car but are willing to do to your own.

Serves no purpose, other than to actually damage your Engine, but makes you feel better, because, by God, You did something without actually doing something.

Like A Richard Simmons Video is for Fitness, K&N is for those who don't know jack about cars.

BUT?
BY GAWD, THEY DID SOMETHING!!

well, so did the fat Chick watching Richard Simmons.
I doubt she sees any improvement but she sure feels better!

Haha, exactly. My favorite defense of them is "Well if they are bad for your engine why do so many racing teams use them". HA! Maybe because they rebuild engines after almost every race!. Longevity isn't an issue for race teams.

The restriction a paper filter gives is far better than the silica a K&N lets through.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Haha, exactly. My favorite defense of them is "Well if they are bad for your engine why do so many racing teams use them". HA! Maybe because they rebuild engines after almost every race!. Longevity isn't an issue for race teams.

The restriction a paper filter gives is far better than the silica a K&N lets through.

Because they are paid to use K@N, that;s why and, as mentioned, longterm is today for those guys.