California Powerwagons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvc357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question,
Brothers, I’m in Arizona, and I’m thinking of buying a 2018 truck from California. I’m an old guy, right? So back in the day California vehicles had much more and different emission control equipment than any other state. Is that still the case and should it be avoided since I dont live in that state.
Thanks!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It'll be the same. Emissions are 50 state for on road vehicles now.

Answer to a question NOT asked: Hold out for a 2019 if you can. After test driving both, the 2019+ was a major improvement. I didn't notice much difference in 8 speed vs 6 speed in 1500s but it makes a real difference in the 2500 IMO.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It'll be the same. Emissions are 50 state for on road vehicles now.

Answer to a question NOT asked: Hold out for a 2019 if you can. After test driving both, the 2019+ was a major improvement. I didn't notice much difference in 8 speed vs 6 speed in 1500s but it makes a real difference in the 2500 IMO.

Yeah automakers got tired of making 'special' vehicles for California, so some years back they just started building everything to the most stringent requirements (most of the time that would be CA).

Saves them money in the long run due to economies of scale. Sure, you COULD build a limited run for CA and not put the special components in everything else, but that drives the costs of the CA cars way up...better to buy more of those components and spread your costs out over the whole country.

As for the years, like Doc says everyone who has the 8 speed loves it, everyone with the 6 speed wants the 8 speed. I have the 6 and don't mind it for the driving I do, BUT if I were doing more expressway driving I would probably wish I had the 8 speed.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Most of my vehicles and trailers I've purchased out of state including from California. Certainly made it much more expensive in rural Colorado to comply with California requirements on the replacement of on my older truck's Federal catalytic converters.

Last edited: