Cam option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starting to get funds aside for a cam to get a bit more power, but mostly for the sound. This is for street use only

tbh I have no clue about cam, I understand what they do, but can't tell if that lift with this duration is good or not.

when replacing the cam on those hemi what else should normally be done(lifters, spring...). I have the 8 speed with 3.92 so from what l understand I can get away with a more aggressive cam using the stock TC.

Does anyone heard of the Texas Speed cam for the Hemi, saw them on their website, but I have no clue if the specs are good for our truck.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There seems to be some controversy about the cam you are asking about. IMHO one of the most knowledgeable member about cams is Matt at Moe's Performance, a vendor on this site. You can either e-mail him or call him and ask what recommendations he might have for your specific use. You also might contact member Wild one for information. He is also extremely knowledgeable regarding cams and Ram performance. He also lives in Canada and may be able to give you some local resources.
Jay

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Starting to get funds aside for a cam to get a bit more power, but mostly for the sound. This is for street use only

tbh I have no clue about cam, I understand what they do, but can't tell if that lift with this duration is good or not.

when replacing the cam on those hemi what else should normally be done(lifters, spring...). I have the 8 speed with 3.92 so from what l understand I can get away with a more aggressive cam using the stock TC.

Does anyone heard of the Texas Speed cam for the Hemi, saw them on their website, but I have no clue if the specs are good for our truck.

I'd wait a bit and see how the Texas Speed cams pan out,so far they don't have any in customers trucks.If you're in a big panic for a cam,hit up either Jay Greene/MMX or Matt at Moes.Jays cams are nice in the fact they don't need a cam phasor limiter,which keeps all 38 degrees of cam movement,and means you'll still have decent bottem end torque while pulling hard through the mid range and up top.Jay will also do a custom grind for you're specific application,which i'm not sure Texas Speed will do at this time.I'm not sure if you can get a cam ground to your specs through Matt,i think he only sells his listed cams,but they're still a good cam for the general population.I think MMX will do a custom cam for your specific application,but don't quote me on that,as I haven't dealt with them.You'll want new lifters/springs,gaskets etc,and it doesn't hurt to invest in new pushrods,i'd also look at either Ma Mopars or Stanke's rocker arm tie bars,to strengthen the rocker stands.They have been known to break if you run the engine hard with stiffer then stock valve springs.Mopar also sells a pretty decent high performance valve spring for the 5.7's that's generally cheaper then the other valve springs available.I'm running Trends pushrods.While you have the heads off you might as well replace the MDS solenoids with Ma Mopars block off plugs for the 2500's.Just a heads up,plan on spending close to $4,000 Canuck for a cam swap up here,that's if you do it yourself,more if you have a shop do it.Join High Performance Rams and Tuned Rams on facebook,John Smith from Texas Speed is keeping us updated on their progress on High Performance Rams on facebook.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really in a rush, still have about 12 months on my powertrain warranty.

Does the Apache heads needs all those upgrade too for a cam? At this point another option could be to find a non-mds 392 and just cam it? Everything on the 5.7 can be swapped over IIRC.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not really in a rush, still have about 12 months on my powertrain warranty.

Does the Apache heads needs all those upgrade too for a cam? At this point another option could be to find a non-mds 392 and just cam it? Everything on the 5.7 can be swapped over IIRC.

By upgrades i'm guessing you're referring to the tie bars,you can get away with-out them,but if you're adding in stiffer springs and gonna rev it above 6200,they are a worthwhile upgrade.It sucks when you break a rocker stand,as all hell breaks lose pretty well instantly. Pushrods/valve springs etc,are still gonna be required with a 392 if you do a cam swap on it.The mds block off plugs from Mopar are cheap,when I priced them out they were under 50 bucks through the dealer,but that was awhile ago,i highly doubt they've gone up much since then.They're just a plastic plug,you can get away with-out them,they're just a nice option to have.I bit the bullet and sprang for Stanke's billet aluninium block off plugs,but they're a touch overkill.If you really want to do up an engine,butter up your local dealer for a warrentied BGE 6.4 truck engine.The BGE truck block is the same block as the Hellcats use,and the dealers here in Alberta are selling them for 900 bucks.It makes a great basis for a big cube stroker build,or just even a drop in piston upgraded 392 cubed engine. Nothings cheap in Canada,lol.You're best bang for buck mod is throw a 75 shot of nitrous on you're existing 5.7,it'll take a 75 shot all day long,and you can do it for right around 2G Canuck with bottle heater and pressure gauge.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Another nice option is upgrading to better head bolts,ARP makes a nice set that are re-usable.The stock head bolts are a torque to yield bolt and shouldn't be re-used.You need to buy head bolts anyways,might as well upgrade them

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good info!

Nitrous will not give me the sound I want ;) I've been around boats for years and miss the sound of a big cam, so I hope a mild cam will help fill that void lol

This could work

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
good info!

Nitrous will not give me the sound I want ;) I've been around boats for years and miss the sound of a big cam, so I hope a mild cam will help fill that void lol

This could work

If all you want is the lumpy idle,then you'll want to talk to Jay Greene about one of his "thump" cams.They'll give you a decent performance upgrade along with the nasty idle you want.
You can tag him on this page,as I forget his exact addy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1133272306731360/

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yeah the thump cams with the tight lobe centerline sound great at idle but only pull better in the midrange rpm compared to the wider lobe centerline with same lift & duration.

How about this one:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Lol these tricks sound like they need to be looked by a certified dealership mechanic to get them sounding normal again .

Jk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Lol these tricks sound like they need to be looked by a certified dealership mechanic to get them sounding normal again .

Jk
They wouldn't know what to do with it without the stock cam....LoL

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the thump cams with the tight lobe centerline sound great at idle but only pull better in the midrange rpm compared to the wider lobe centerline with same lift & duration.

How about this one:
yeah that one is nice too, the sound is very important but if I'm doing all this I also want to feel more power. I'm not drag racing, just hooning on the street. What is the difference between the stage 0.5 and 1.5?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
yeah that one is nice too, the sound is very important but if I'm doing all this I also want to feel more power. I'm not drag racing, just hooning on the street. What is the difference between the stage 0.5 and 1.5?

Stage .5 HL v2 - for a stock to 2800-3000 converter, or a stock to 2600 in a 8 speed.
205/222

Stage 1.5 HL v2 - for a 3000-3200 converter, or a 2600 in a 8 speed.
209/226

The Stage .5 HL v2 is a 205/222 .58x/.58x

Powerband is 2500-6300

The Stage 1.5 HL v2 is a 209/226 .59x/.58x

Powerband is 2800-6600

Thump cams require phase limiter....these are ground with intake & exhaust lobe centerline closer together......wider lobe centerline does not need limiter.....all others specs are equal with lift & duration.....not sure what centerline is ground to on either cams....I didn't ask & Jay did not say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
humm ok, I guess the 0.5 is better suited for my need then. But marketing wise 0.5 doesn't sound very good.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
humm ok, I guess the 0.5 is better suited for my need then. But marketing wise 0.5 doesn't sound very good.

I guess when you say sound marketing wise you are referring to specs?
As far as sound wise .........sounds good to me......lol
I opted for the 1.5 non-thumper for a more sleeper approach with more fullband power vrs the midrange thumper

The post I linked above was a .5 thump vrs