Cam option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah the thump cams with the tight lobe centerline sound great at idle but only pull better in the midrange rpm compared to the wider lobe centerline with same lift & duration.

How about this one:

Tristians truck does have a wicked idle with the .5 Thump cam,lol.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
yeah that one is nice too, the sound is very important but if I'm doing all this I also want to feel more power. I'm not drag racing, just hooning on the street. What is the difference between the stage 0.5 and 1.5?

Jay can make his normal wide LSA cams have a bit of a thumpy idle,it won't be as nasty as what his thump cams have,but it might be something more inline with what you're looking for.You still get a really good performing cam,but with a noticeable choppy idle.I'm more inline with CJ's thinking,i went for the same 1.5HL cam,but tuned so it idles like stock for the sleeper approach,i'd rather hear the back tires whining,then the cam ,lol.
You're best bet is to get ahold of Jay and talk to him about what you're wanting to do,he's a very easy guy to talk to,with a good ole boy Texas accent,lol

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Jay can make his normal wide LSA cams have a bit of a thumpy idle,it won't be as nasty as what his thump cams have,but it might be something more inline with what you're looking for.You still get a really good performing cam,but with a noticeable choppy idle.I'm more inline with CJ's thinking,i went for the same 1.5HL cam,but tuned so it idles like stock for the sleeper approach,i'd rather hear the back tires whining,then the cam ,lol.
You're best bet is to get ahold of Jay and talk to him about what you're wanting to do,he's a very easy guy to talk to,with a good ole boy Texas accent,lol
Did you go with the Fastman oversize bore TB also?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did you go with the Fastman oversize bore TB also?

Home ported /polished /knifed edged /half shafted throttle body, port matched to the intake,seems to work okay. Got a buddy that just bought a Fastman,might borrow it off him at the track in the spring and see how my home ported version stacks up against a overbored Fastman.The local track is shut down till the end of April ,downside of being a Canuck waiting for winter to end,lol

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess when you say sound marketing wise you are referring to specs?
As far as sound wise .........sounds good to me......lol
I opted for the 1.5 non-thumper for a more sleeper approach with more fullband power vrs the midrange thumper
I was talking about using .5 as a stage number,

That clip you posted with the .5 Thump was sounding real good, now I need to compare with a non Thump and decide if I want to compromise sound for power.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this is 4 months old but what are the gains with the thumper?

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thump option doesn't provide any other gain than giving you a more aggressive idle

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That stinks I love that idle. Do you know of one that has the idle and gains?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That stinks I love that idle. Do you know of one that has the idle and gains?

thump is an option to get a more aggressive idle, but you will have gains if you choose the option or not

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Jay said the the 1.5 cam had more power from low to high rpm band but the 1.5 cam with tighter LSA for the thumper had more midrange power that will visit the gas pumps a little sooner....lol

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So with the thump cam are we talking 10 20 30 rwhp?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So with the thump cam are we talking 10 20 30 rwhp?

I have the 1.5HL cam from Jay,not the "thump" version,on my truck it's taken close to 4/10's off it's 1/4 mile times,but it definitely needs more convertor in my 4X4.I'd guess the thump version should be good for close to 2/10's over a stock cam,maybe more if you add a higher stall convertor

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 1.5HL cam from Jay,not the "thump" version,on my truck it's taken close to 4/10's off it's 1/4 mile times,but it definitely needs more convertor in my 4X4.I'd guess the thump version should be good for close to 2/10's over a stock cam,maybe more if you add a higher stall convertor
Hey Rick
I know Jay had some cams that left the stock VVT movement intact, is your 1.5HL using a cam phaser limiter?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey Rick
I know Jay had some cams that left the stock VVT movement intact, is your 1.5HL using a cam phaser limiter?

Nope it still allows all 38 degrees of cam movement,that's one of the reasons I went with it.I knew I wouldn't be throwing a convertor in for awhile,so I wanted as much cam advance as possible to keep some bottom end torque.Besides the limiter is a bit of a ***** to install,and if you don't get it right,the phasor explodes into a bunch of pieces and then you're buying another phasor from the dealer,lol.My Chryco tech buddy was installing one of Matts cams,for a customer and he ended up buying the customer another phasor,and he's still yelling about it,lol

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope it still allows all 38 degrees of cam movement,that's one of the reasons I went with it.I knew I wouldn't be throwing a convertor in for awhile,so I wanted as much cam advance as possible to keep some bottom end torque.Besides the limiter is a bit of a ***** to install,and if you don't get it right,the phasor explodes into a bunch of pieces and then you're buying another phasor from the dealer,lol.My Chryco tech buddy was installing one of Matts cams,for a customer and he ended up buying the customer another phasor,and he's still yelling about it,lol
Good to know Rick, thanks for the info
Based on your dragstrip experiences, I thought you would have been go-big-or-go-home with your cam choice. I’m happy to hear that the stock VVT still has a place at the track with you

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good to know Rick, thanks for the info
Based on your dragstrip experiences, I thought you would have been go-big-or-go-home with your cam choice. I’m happy to hear that the stock VVT still has a place at the track with you

It's a toy,but it's still gotta be a usable toy,lol

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Do any of Jay's cams work with MDS and OEM components? Similar to the Comp 260 in a truck application that won't salvage low-mid power/trq.

Just digging into this now after header install, plus with the cam/roller issues these 2010-2014s have it's being proactive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do any of Jay's cams work with MDS and OEM components? Similar to the Comp 260 in a truck application that won't salvage low-mid power/trq.

Just digging into this now after header install, plus with the cam/roller issues these 2010-2014s have it's being proactive.

Talk to Jay Tim,he has a couple smaller cams that will work with stock valve springs etc. Most guys usually just delete the MDS in their tune,and run the Hellcat or aftermarket lifters,but i'd ask Jay if you could keep the MDS lifters and system in place if you want it.Another option these days are Texas Speed and Performance/TSP they're just starting into the Hemi cam market and have a few nice looking cams,but I think most of their cams require limiting the phasor.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Stage .5 HL v2 - for a stock to 2800-3000 converter, or a stock to 2600 in a 8 speed.
205/222

Stage 1.5 HL v2 - for a 3000-3200 converter, or a 2600 in a 8 speed.
209/226

The Stage .5 HL v2 is a 205/222 .58x/.58x

Powerband is 2500-6300

The Stage 1.5 HL v2 is a 209/226 .59x/.58x

Powerband is 2800-6600

Thump cams require phase limiter....these are ground with intake & exhaust lobe centerline closer together......wider lobe centerline does not need limiter.....all others specs are equal with lift & duration.....not sure what centerline is ground to on either cams....I didn't ask & Jay did not say.
So would the 1.5 HL v2 work fine with a stock ram?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca